Cardiac rehab?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronmaninTraining

I visit my doctor this friday and plan on discussing cardiac rehab visits.

I just finished my 23rd visit and I ran 35 minutes @ 5.3 (short warmup and cool down on top of that). I feel great at that speed although not super fast, but I am more comfortable when I'm being monitored (keeping my heart rate @ 85% typically being around 170 bpm at max). The guy at rehab sees no abnormalities and doesn't think I need to continue going after 24....I see it differently as I feel more comfortable being monitored (I think my concern is I'm worried about my results this friday).

What is everyone's view on continuing cardiac rehab (I apparently have unlimited visits, but with no abnormalities is that necessary)?

My biggest concern (despite messing up with scar with my HRM) is even a small hill outside elevates my bpm...in this case it was a slow jog and went from 160 to 185.

For all the runners out there would it be best to continue slowly increasing my endurance for a couple months inside on the treadmill before heading outside?

I don't do running for my cardiac rehab but lift weights with an interval training protocol. I no longer have my cardiac rehab with the rehab nurse BUT I continue my rehab at home with the protocol I was taught. I use my heart rate monitor and increase the exercise resistance/weights as I feel more able (I got all the right equipment at home). I suppose if you don't feel entirely confident that you can continue rehab on your own you should ask to carry on in a program…or check with the rehab nurse whether the way your heart rate elevates on a small hill is okay.

Glad all is coming along for you. I had a hard time stepping away from rehab, too, because that monitoring was so reassuring. However, with an HRM (cloth strap was very helpful), the data offered confidence in how things were going.

Don't sweat the reaction to the hill. You're still healing. Try to be patient and make small progress in conjunction with your doc's advice. Honestly, 7 years later I still find my HR spikes more than I want it to, but that's a small price to pay for continued health. I slow down for a bit, get back in line, and all's fine.

Looking forward to hearing about your Ironman.

If you are healthy and young, cardiac rehab is not even required. Many younger people with existing exercise programs were told to start slow and listen to your body but there is no need for monitoring. At my rehab, we did before and after heart rate and two sessions with the monitor, one at the beginning and one at the end. They even said there is no need to monitor heart rate once released from rehab, unless it's something you like to do.

Don't worry, many people run, jog, etc. and do no monitoring w/o any ill effects. Sometimes you can get too much data :)

Hi, my insurance company told me that I was "out side the window" for cardiac rehab. I was not able to participate because after TAVR my knees seemed to fail me and I was told I needed new ones but that was iffy because I had not yet gotten over the surgery. And as far as I can tell I still haven't. Can't walk without pain and extreme weakness. I've begun to think that I am not getting enough oxygenated blood to my limbs and muscles. I've grown increasingly worried that I seem to have regressed since the procedure. Is there any body else who has experienced such a disappointing result?

Before my surgery, I met with 3 different surgeons before having my BAV replaced. All 3 of them agreed that I did not need to go through cardiac rehab (I had 5 Ironmans and 12 marathons under my belt, so I guess I fooled them into thinking I knew what I was doing). Anyway, when I started running again, it was very slow and I built it up gradually. My first run was on a treadmill and it was very difficult for me as I never did much treadmill running; so it felt very unnatural for me. I took my subsequent runs to the indoor track and it felt more natural. Once the weather started to cool, I took all my running outside.

I would say take it outside and enjoy being outdoors. Like you, my HR was very sensitive and any sort of incline would shoot it up. My advice would be to run up the hill very slow and then walk if your HR gets to the highest you want it at. As time passes, I am sure you will see progress (like being able to run 1/4 way up, then 1/2 way up a few weeks later....). Before you know it (and it wont seem like it at time), you will be running up that hill w/o any issues. For me, it was very cool to see myself progressing; it was almost like a first time runner seeing big leaps in their fitness.

Good Luck!

Back