Cardiac Rehab

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Norm - I'm with you! Of course, my cath was only this past Thursday, but it is not something I want to do again for kicks. The procedure itself is a non-issue, but I'm going to be walking funny for some time, and I would be ashamed to go back to the gym (locker room) with all the wild-colored bruising and the fancy (NOT!) shave. It has been about 48 hours now, and I'm just able to walk slowly but taking full steps.

I had my first cath in 1968 at age fifteen at Riley Children's Hospital in Indianapolis. It required an overnight stay in the hospital and it was something akin to medieval torture. They had me raise my hands above my head and then literally taped them to the table. The local anesthesia started wearing off about halfway throught the procedure and it started to hurt like h***; like they were jamming a steel pipe up my groin. I remember having to ask them about three times before they gave me some more. Towards the end, my nose started iching something fierce and I subtlety tore one of my taped hands free from the table so I could scratch it and then held it back up so they wouldn't notice.

After going through all that, I was actually more apprehensive about the cath scheduled the day prior to my surgery than I was about the surgery itself. Although not a particularly pleasant experience, that most recent cath (ten years ago, the day prior to my AVR) wasn't too bad.

Mark

Back