cardiac rehab

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deano89

got cardiac rehab starting dec 3 said to allow 3 hours ,what can i expect ?they did mention some tests but not sure what else it entails

My program was an exercise/nutrition program designed for heart patients. I remember going through a series of exercises each day and after each (i.e. bicycle, tredmill) they would take my b/p. I believe it helped me recover a little quicker and improved my overall physical/mental functioning. Best of luck

If I remember it correctly my first session definitely took longer than the other ones. But, I don't think it was 3 hours - probably more like 1-3/4 hr. After that the sessions were an hour. I had treadmill, bike, stretching exercises and hand weights. When I first started the 1/2 pound weight seemed like it weighed a ton when I lifted it up from my side. Managed to get up to 3lbs by the time I was done. Kind of wish my insurance co. would make me go every week...

They took bp & hr before, during, and after the session and had a nutritionist available. Got a t-shirt when I was finally done:)

Rehab

Rehab

I started a formal rehab program just a couple of weeks post-op. The program involved closely monitored exercise. For me, the monitoring looked like heart rate and EKG stuff.

Programs probably differ, but they really never did any tests on me. My cardiologist had defined target heart rates and caps when he prescribed the program. Every week the targets and caps would change as the program monitor would note improvement.

I spent a lot of time on stationary bicycles, treadmills, and stairclimbers. I did some weights, but not too much with weights.

Eventually, I got bored with an indoor program and they turned me loose to do my own exercise and activity program.

-Philip

thanks guys i got about a month till i start so will keep building on my walking till then. i enjoy exercise so cardiac rehab prog should be good for me

Where I had my operation, they have three phases of cardio rehab. Phase one is in the hospital, and it involved getting me out of bed and walking right away. The more walking I was willing to do, the better they liked it. Phase two started about three weeks after surgery and involved close medical supervision during exercise, which I did three times per week. I wore a wireless ECG monitoring unit, and they checked my blood pressure multiple times during my exercises. That lasted about 3 months, and was covered by insurance. Then I moved to phase three, which I pay for myself. I no longer wear the wireless getup, so they now only check my ECG every ten sessions or so. They take my B.P. when I first arrive, and more if I ask, but basically, I'm more on my own. My surgery was on Jan 14th of this year, and I've continued with the cardio rehab on into phase three. Because I'm still working, I only get to rehab about twice a week, but I'm up to running 2 miles at a time now. (I remember when I first started to run, back in March; I lasted about 20 seconds, and it took me two days to recover from the experience. So, I'm clearly improving. I highly recommend a rehab program, because for me it provides structure and a group of people whom I see regularly who understand the things I'm going through. BTW, my surgery was a pig valve replacement of the aortic valve, plus replacement of much of my upper aorta (aortic aneurysm) with a dacron tube. It's still seems strange to think that I have major parts in me that used to sit on a shelf.
-- Alan Heminger, Dayton

I never had any rehab 18 years ago. There was something available and I do recall it being mentioned but not encouraged. Just a brochure stuffed into my release papers. I merely was told to walk every day and after 6 weeks go ahead and try running again. I had to "feel" my way along and it was many months before I regained confidence in my body's ability to take real stress. You might say I stayed in that funk to some degree for 15 years and only fully came out of it in 2007.

All my grand pronouncements of late about new personal bests and age group awards are the result of learning from others here on this and a couple other web sites what I could be capable of, then tossing aside the self-doubt. I wish I had had that help from the beginning.

I have rehab available, however with four young kids, school stuff, and going back to work - it's all I can do to get to the basement to get my walks and other exersize in. I do need to start getting up an hour earlier and just getting my cardio done before everyone else wakes up. Once I start back to work on the 30th, it will be tough squeezing it in in the evenings.

Latest posts

Back