cardiac rehab

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We haven't made it there yet but it is basically a supervised exercize program where your heart is monitored and you are taught heart healthy habits and such. I have only heard good things from those who have participated.

You will probably receive a packet from your rehab center telling you the specifics of their program. We are still working on the financial end of it as our insurance won't cover.

I highly recommend cardiac rehab. Talk to you doctor about it. It needs to be prescribed if you want insurance to cover it. Mine was a 12 week program that gradually built me up without any pain or stiffness.

I did an abbreviated cardiac rehab of 12 sessions. I passed on the counseling sessions about smoking and diet - I just wanted assurance I could rev my heart w/o any ill effects. I used a treadmill and bike while I got constant EKG monitoring and periodic BP monitoring. Once it was clear that I wasn't triggering any rhythm problems, etc., I checked out and started training on my own.

You might check to see if insurance covers before you pull the trigger. My insurance (blue cross) didn't list it in the exclusions, but told me after the claim was submitted that rehab was covered for bypass patients, but not guys who "merely" had a valve repair. I wrote them a friendly letter citing medical references & asked for a written response from a qualified health professional that explained their rationale for denial. THey changed their minds and decided to reimburse the provider.

Cardiac rehab Phase II (Phase I was in the hospital) - they put you on monitors throughout the exercise session (which are 3 times per week). Your BP and HR are constantly monitored during each session and your exercise levels are recorded. They include very light weights and stretching. They also have educational stuff (food, bp, meds, etc). I found it invaluable. I was a dedicated non-exerciser prior to surgery, so I had no way of figuring out HOW to exercise.

The exercises are a circuit of aerobic equipment - treadmill, aerdyne bike, elliptical, recumbant bike and nustep; whether these vary by location I don't know. You're started off slow and are lulled into thinking this was fun. They step up your exercise rapidly as your tolerance grows and have you huffing and puffing (and sweating) pretty soon. You can exercise with confidence that you won't damage your heart.

I loved it. I continue in Phase III (same place, same stuff, non-monitored, but bp and hr taken every day, RN and physiotherapists on site) and intend to forever.

Cardiac rehab

Cardiac rehab

Here cardiac rehab starts about 6 weeks post op. It invoved three sessions in the hospital gym per week gradually increasing the amount of endurance through four levels. Also there were talks on various subjects each week over a ten week period. Next stage was haaving an assessment and being referred to another gym (choice of three actually) and having supervised sessions, I still do these three times each week for an hour each session. I will have another assessment in a few weeks time to see how my fitness levels are improving.

Due to complications and lost paperwork, I started my cardiac rehab about 3 months after surgery. I am not sure I could have handled it sooner.
My rehab consisted of being monitored while using the treadmill and other machines three times a week for a total of 21 sessions.

I recommend it to anyone. It built up my confidence. I learned what I should and should not do when working out. I would have been to afraid of hurting myself if I did it all on my own without some adult supervision :).

Karl

I ditto all the other comments. The BEST thing I liked about it was the monitoring. I was reluctant to PUSH myself on my own. Several times they would slow me back down. My rehab also included oxygen function tests where they put you on a treadmill and you breath thru the tube. I had one just after I started rehab and another just before I finished. It showed I had made tremendous improvement.

BUT, check with your insurance BEFORE you go for it. My wife's insurance (Mailhandlers) told us over the phone that it would be covered. Then when they received the first bill they told us it would not be. After research thru the papers, it was plain as day that Cardio Rehab was NOT covered. Fortunately I had Tricare Prime thru the military. A quick check with them indicated they covered 100 per cent. Whew!!!!!

May God Bless,

Danny

Basic heart monitoring durring exercise program is core.

The best thing about cardiac rehab is the nurses fill all the gaps between the care you need and care that cardiologist can't really give you.

This is skewed to my own shitty quality of life via heart experiences, but the nurses listen, and care a couple hrs a week while doc sees you for 30 min per month if your lucky.

They help you get your feet back under you, help learn how much you can do without problems, help you know that if life is crappy that it's not normal and more needs to be done by docs, help you learn about diet/diabeties/Hippy-mind tricks like that help you put stressers in perspective via calming / meditation / etc.

They would help intervine if you were being abused or didn't have a support system aka familly / partner.

It further is a place to see people in your same troubles, most in darn better shape and 50-100% older than I but another set of freinds who get it.

As to how soon, you should not go too early unless your willing to loose a good chunk of exercise value in trade for medical GAP coverage. Too soon is before you can comfortably walk slowly for 30+ min 3 days a week in neiborhood flats without penalty like crashing via fluid / stress / failure issues. 4-6 week after heart attack or surgury is what cardiologist will quote.

Hi, I agree with the others, cardiac rehab is a great way to get back into exercising. An FYI, mine was covered by insurance, but no one told me that I had a $20.00 copay every time I went!!!! I went 3 times a week for 6 weeks, so I ended up with a sizeable bill from the hospital.. So, you may also want to check that out with your insurance carrier. The hospital was really good about my bill, they wrote some of it off to help me out... Good luck. Rose

The Joy of Cardiac Rehab

The Joy of Cardiac Rehab

I was lucky - my insurance covered 36 sessions (3 times a week for 12 weeks). And because I had met the out-of-pocket max for the year with the OHS, everything was covered 100 percent. Among other things, we did treadmill, exercise bike, some sort of step machine, ergometer, and a weight room (beginning very light, of course). Nurses monitored BP and heart rate. This turned out to be a totally fun experience because of the great group I was in -- I never laughed so much in my life (and they say laughter is the best medicine). The nurses were very informed and observant (I had a dizzy spell in an early session and they were all over that) -- but they also kept the atmosphere light-hearted (so to speak). I lost a bit of weight and improved my stamina considerably during the 36 sessions.

I wish I could still be on it instead of trying to get a little help from the staff of the Health Club I now belong to in my new location. So I'm a fan of cardiac rehab. Hope you get lined up with it and enjoy it

Ditto to ALL of the above.

In addition, many of us get tight / sore / PAINFUL muscles in the shoulders and back from the positioning used in surgery. I found the ARM-Cycles (look like bicycle pedals) with variable resistance that can be rotated in either (preferably both) directions, alternating every minute or two, to do an EXCELLENT job of loosening up those tight and sore muscles.

As the others also said, the Nurses seem to really know their stuff and watch you closely while exercising. Mine could be very 'assertive' in making sure we patients did all of our warmup and cooldown exercises and stretches before and after the regular session.

I highly recommend it. If you insurance balks, perhaps a Case Worker (affiliated with the insurer) can work out an individual contract for you as an exeption or special case. You will need a prescription for Cardiac Rehab from one of your doctors (surgeon or cardiologist or maybe even PCP).

'AL Capshaw'

Just finished week 1 of 4 week program

Just finished week 1 of 4 week program

and I ditto everyone else. I know how to exercise, but found it comforting to know how my heart was responding now. Today, one of the staff told me my heart rate returned to normal very quickly after exercise and although I certainly cannot control that, I felt very pleased/proud.

I am also very social and like the contact with new folks as well as the chance to ask more about my heart and medical situation. Research has shown that people who do cardiac rehab stay out of drs. offices and hopistals in part because they have a venue to air their concerns and ask questions.

Kristi
mitral repair 11/30/05

Cardiac rehab

Cardiac rehab

I just went to my first cardiac rehab session. They didn't work me hard, but it was enough to generate some endorphins. I felt more postive on the way home than I had felt in some time. Just being around people was a mood elevator. I've been pretty isolated and I'm getting lonely.:(
This is out off topic, but my daughter had her baby on the 9th by C Section. He's a month early due to complications my daughter had (I told her to slow down). Anyway, lots going on here.
Back to cardiac rehab, I think it's going to be a good thing. I haven't worked out in at least a year and probably more.
I'll keep you all informed.
Barbara:)

Latest posts

Back