Cardiac Rehab or NOT?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deek

I'm 6 weeks post-op tomorrow and I'm trying to decided wether to do cardiac rehab or not? I saw my Cardiologist yesterday and she said that it was up to me. Here's a little background: I'm a 35 year old female with a history of refractory hypertension, MVP with severe MR, sinus node dysfunction (PM implanted) and prior to surgery (MVR 3/27) I was extremely symptomatic - SOB with and without excertion, extreme fatigue, chest pain, perhipheral and pulmonary edema, hypertensiopn as well as moderate pulmonary hypertension. Surgery went well and recovery is going well. Amazingly, my refractory hypertension is gone (dr's can't explain this...for two years my BP has been between 175/100-220/130 on ten medications...looks like it was my valve that caused this). Because I was so symptomatic prior to surgery, I'm extremely out of shape! Because of this, I "think" I would benefit from cardiac rehab but then again, I don't know? My Cardiologist said that most patients in rehab are older and do it more for reaasurance and that because of my age and the fact that I'm doing so well I don't need to do it. Just wondering what you all think as you have been SO helpful (more helpful than my doctors, I must say) through ALL this.;) Thanks to everyone for your thoughts, advise etc.

D

Regardless of age, I think everyone can benefit from cardiac rehab after OHS.

I went through cardiac rehab, and it was well worth it. One of the advantabges of it is learning how much you can push yourself and when to back off. All of this is done under very close supervision.

I did not have the confidence to work out on my own and know how much to push myself or know when I was not pushing myself enough.

After I completed it, I was much more cofident of working out on my own.

Karl

I did not go to cardiac rehab after my first surgery and since I had been experiencing symptoms in the gym an entire year before, was very nervous about working out and wasn't sure if I was doing too much/too little. After my second OHS, I went to cardiac rehab and I'm so glad I did. I was the youngest one in there, but that is besides the point. It got me back into working out comfortably, and I wasn't afraid to push myself b/c I was being monitored. I only stayed maybe 6 weeks, b/c I quickly progressed and was eager to get back to my gym and where I could expand my workout. It was kind of a stepping-off point for me and I'm glad that I did it.

I started cardiac rehab 4 weeks ago and it is worth it. I do not practically like going because to me it is boring but you do feel better! They monitor you and help you get to where you should be, so if I were you I would go.

I agree that it's worth it. When I had OHS in 2005, I was 26 and by far the youngest person there. There were classes to talk about healthy lifestyle - I didn't get a lot out of that, since most patients in the class I was in were there after having had bypasses, many due to unhealthy lifestyles (I don't mean to generalize but it was true!)

What helped me a lot was the exercise program. I was really quite tentative after surgery and didn't know where to start, and I thought it was great. They gave me a program to get back into exercising, since like you I was symptomatic before surgery and was out of shape afterwards.

Like Halley, it was a really good starting point for me, and I felt comfortable because I was being monitored, and got to know what felt normal in terms of exercise.

So, long story short - give it a try! It can't hurt and it might help.

Good luck!
Melissa

I didn't go, but I think you should. I was very symptomatic like you were, but I was able to keep exercising before surgery. After surgery I had plenty of exercise support and equipment at home. Plus my yoga-instructor SIL was here, and she is also a big walker, so she walked with me every day and we did my stretching and breathing together.

If you've never rehabbed yourself before it's good to have a trainer to advise you. They will have exactly the equipment you need, and you will have people to exercise with.

If you have the DISCIPLINE to excercise yourself, then there is no need for rehab. If your like me and start something, then decide you really don't like it and start finding reasons not too, then yes, go to rehab. It's kind of like joining the Marine Corp.

If you have the DISCIPLINE to excercise yourself, then there is no need for rehab. If your like me and start something, then decide you really don't like it and start finding reasons not too, then yes, go to rehab. It's kind of like joining the Marine Corp.

LOL == except my rehab nurses in no way resembled drill sergeants. A cute little blonde nurse gave me back rubs while I did the treadmill because she knew I hated it so much (the treadmill, that is, not her massages)...:D

I loved cardiac rehab -- and not just for the wrong reasons. :D

Thanks everyone! I've decided to give it a try. I'm lucky in that my isurance pays for it so.....I think it's probably a good idea. Ross, I'm like you, not very disciplined...since phase one physical therapy ended 2-3 weeks ago, my walking has become spiratic, dependant on weather and IF my 3 year let's me. I've been slacking BIG time and hopefully this gives me the push and shove I so obviously NEED! Again, MANY thanks to you ALL for the great advise! Dee

LOL == except my rehab nurses in no way resembled drill sergeants. A cute little blonde nurse gave me back rubs while I did the treadmill because she knew I hated it so much (the treadmill, that is, not her massages)...:D

I loved cardiac rehab -- and not just for the wrong reasons. :D

I had a short stocky little number that I swear to God came straight from Camp LeJeune, SC. I kid you not. I really did call her Gunnery Sgt too. She had that typical Jar Head Physique as well as mind set about getting things done.

Here is the training schedule:
Basic Facts
Recruits will travel 48 miles on foot during the event.
There are 29 problem-solving exercises during the Crucible.
It consists of 36 different stations.
The recruits will have three meals, ready-to-eat (MREs) during the 54 hours.
The recruits will be required to carry 45 pounds during the Crucible, in addition to 782 gear, uniform and M16 A2 service rifle weight.

Day 1
Reveille (2 am)
Night movement (3 am)
Recruits conduct a 6-mile hike to the Crucible site.
Events 1-3 (5: 30 am - 6:30 pm)
Event 1 – Battle of Hue City
A one-hour event in which the teams resupply water, ammunition and MREs through a course which consists of trenches, wire fences and walls.
After the resupply course, teams negotiate the warrior stations below:
Pfc Jenkins Pinnacle
Teams cross two horizontal cable-supported logs.
Pfc Garcia's Engagement
Individuals demonstrate their knowledge of hand-to-hand combat skills, and then participate in a warrior case study of Pfc. Garcia.
Lehew's Challenge
Teams of two climb over an eight-foot high horizontal log.
Corbin's Convoy
Teams react to a simulated IED while on patrol.

Event 2 – Battle of Belleau Wood: Pugil Sticks/Body Sparring
Leadership Reaction Course

A three-hour event in which the teams perform six reaction course problems which test their ability to work as a team to solve problems.

Some of the problems include:
Using three wooden boards to cross a number of stumps without touching the ground.
Negotiating a water hole using the same wooden board concept to get from point A to point B.
Transporting a large container over a wall using the limited resources available.
Once completing the events, the teams of two face off in a pugil stick bout.

Event 3 – Core Event and Warrior Stations
A one-hour event which can hold a maximum of six teams working concurrently.
Noonan's Casualty Evacuation
The team will recover a downed pilot and another recruit “shot” by a sniper and transport them over a mile of wooded terrain.
Enhanced Obstacle Course
the recruits carry a dummy casualty on a stretcher and ammunition cans from one end of a standard Marine Corps obstacle course to the other, going over all obstacles.
Marine Corps Martial Arts Program (MCMAP) Strikes Station -
Recruits are required to demonstrate and conduct five-minute MCMAP strikes.
Core Values Station
Recruits sit inside a hut and receive information on a particular core value from their drill instructor.

Night Event (8 pm - 11 pm) - Five-mile night hike with a time limit of three hours.
Sleep (midnight - 4 am)

I never heard of rehab back when I had AVR. Maybe because I didn't live in the city where my surgery was done.
I don't see how it would have help me for I had been jogging or walking daily for the last 15 years. Just as soon as I felt like it after AVR I started back, slowly at first. Still at it. ;)

I began my first day of rehab yesterday and can't wait to go back next week. Just walking out after 1 session I felt better....it was nic getting blood flowing again, talking with people, know I was in a safe environment and not doing something without supervision and I know when I am completed I will be given a program that will fit my needs,

not for me thanks

not for me thanks

the pysiotherapist at the hospital gave me a sheet of exercises and exercise targets and asked me if i would go to the weekly? free heart club at auckland hospital.

i told her that i would probably end up killing everyone there if i did. i also told her i thought it was a bit of a wank but probably a good place for old pensioners with nothing else to do. she said "policy" said it was a good idea and she could not comment to the contrary.

anyway i tossed the exercises out of the car window as we left the hospital and since then i have done zero exercises etc but have worked my butt off at home and at my auto business and am in 100% perfect health

the point i make is a dud mitral valve aside, i was in perfect health with mint blood vessels, so why do i need heart clubs and special diets. (i drove the dietitian nuts too!)

never once has a medical person ever mentioned "cardiac rehab" to me.

I was so glad that I went through Card. Rehab. Not only did it help me with my physical part of recovery but helped me with the mental part.
In fact, I am 6 months out and I am still in the maintence program they offer...which has helped me feel a little more secure cause I started having some major set backs with my exercise tolerance at around 3 1/2 months (which they aren't sure the reason)
although the Card. nurses from their observation feel that I most likely have Mircovascular
Corntary Diease (which can't be seen with a Heart Carth or any other ususal test). They have all been such wonderful support.
So, I would say go for it !!!!

c terra
AVR (with cow) Nov. 5, 2008
Mentronic Pacemaker Nov. 12, 2008 total heart block (100% dependant)
Mitral valve mild regutation
Tric. value mild regutation
Mild Heart attack- Feb. 2009 ( damage to lower LV)

I started a cardiac rehab class this week and despite my own misgivings about the "relaxation technique" portion of the program, I'm finding that I am learning to do just that! Yesterday after an hour of exercise, we had another hour of yoga relaxation exercises. No one could have told me before that class that I would be able to find my "center" and feel such peace, but I did! Cardiac rehab is a lot more that walking on a treadmill. Let us know how you make out with the class. Jane

I was going to do it for a month, and then decided against it because I'd have to travel about 50 m. round trip three days a week. I have a recumbent exercise bike lots of places to walk, so my doctors (surgeon and cardio) agreed that I'd be better of doing it at home and not spending the gas. When I had my CABG fourteen years ago, the insurance company denied rehab because I had no history of heart disease (just four badly clogged arteries and really high cholesterol), and I did it on my own then.

I think Ross is right that if you've got the discipline you can do it on your own. But for folks who aren't up on diet regimens and stuff like that, rehab can help you with that, plus help you keep track of weight and other considerations. Most insurance plans will pay for it these days because it actually helps prevent recurrence of major problems--so let that be a consideration as well.

Latest posts

Back