Cardiac Cath?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Cindy

Well.... The countdown is almost over - we leave on Tuesday (2 days) to travel to Cleveland for my dad's testing and then surgery on Sept 4th or 5th. We received a big packet of information and I have another question for you all. Did everyone have a cardiac catherization before surgery? Is there any other purpose for one other than verifying that surgery is necessary?
My dad has not had one and according to his schedule - they are not planning on doing one during the two days of tests.... He doesn't want one if they are not necessary. They reviewed his records and his echo and concluded that he did need the surgery. In my extensive search for a surgeon/hospital I spoke with many doctor's offices and most of them listed it as a pre-requisite to the surgery. I got the impression they were checking the heart for any other problems as well.
Of course I have great confidence in the Cleveland Clinic and know they will do what is best. I was just curious about this. Also a bit relieved because I had fears about that test at my dad's age (80).
Thanks in advance for your insights..... Cindy

Cardiac cath. gives a really good look at the heart's vascular system and heart chambers, plus the various measurements thereof.

I don't know how they plan to go about your father's heart surgery, but if it's port access, it's important to make sure that the vascular system around the heart is in good shape, because the instruments they use travel through this system to get to the valves.

And, it would be a disservice to your father if his arteries weren't checked for blockages needing bypass, which can also happen and can be repaired at the time of surgery.

I'm sure the docs. want to do an extremely thorough investigation into all aspects of your father's heart and this, in my opinion, is the most important thing which can be done. I don't think any surgeon wants to go in "blind", if he/she can help it. The more info. the better, and probably the shorter the table time.

Husband Joe has had 5-6 caths. for the several surgeries he had. They aren't that bad. You are put into a very relaxed state and probably won't remember much.

Last edited:
Hi Cindy - My understanding is the cardiac cath is for checking to see if bypasses are necessary during surgery. I had one done more than a year before surgery and they accepted it. I really didn't want to repeat it since I thought it was unnecessary. I am 48, so age was probably a factor in my case. I had my surgery in Jan 2001 at Cle and met some men your fathers age who made it through surgery very well, so you should be optimistic. Good luck with your father's surgery. I will say a few prayers for him when his surgery day comes.

cardiac cath

cardiac cath

Hi Cindy
Thank you so much for the help that you gave me on the phone. I have sent my records to Dr Lytle and am waiting to hear from his office. I have not yet decided if I will stay with Duke or go toCleveland. I wish you and your farther all the best!! As far as a cath is concerned..when I had my echo and they discovered that my aortic valve had progressed to severe and that I needed AVR..the first thing that the doctors wanted done was a Cath. They felt that at age 70..that there was a good chance that I might have some blockage..unfortanatly..they were correct!! It is my understanding that the older you are..the more possible it is to have blockages. Perhaps they are waiting to do the cath at the time of the valve replacement..at any rate..I would question them about it.
I wish your Dad a quick and uneventful recovery..please let us know how he (and you) are doing
Joan

Dear Cindy,

You have gotten some very good answers to your question. However, you did ask if anyone had cardiac cath right before there surgery. I did, my cath was on 12-14 and my surgery was on 12-15. They would have done it before, but I told them they were going to get me in there only once. Because of a fluid problem I had following the cath they kept me over night. I'm sending your father good wishes. This time before is so difficult for patients and family.

Thanks all!

Thanks all!

Thanks everyone. As usual I got lots of good advice and information in only one days time!! I will be sure to ask about this if they don't schedule one. The folder they sent said a brochure about cardiac catherization would be included if one was scheduled (they didn't include it ) and the list of appointments/tests did not mention it....
However as I said - I know they are a first-rate and will do the best for my dad.
Today will be last minute packing - freezing meals for my family - and the usual laundry! Should be heading out to the airport about this time tomorrow morning.
Thanks for your prayers and good wishes - I will try to post an update from Cleveland when we have any news.....
Cindy

Hi Cindy,

A heart cath is not much to worry about. It does not hurt!
They need to see if the patient needs any bypasses and how bad the valve or valves really are.

What is cardiac catheterization?

In this procedure a doctor guides a thin plastic tube or catheter through an artery or vein in the arm or leg and into the heart and the coronary arteries in the heart. This test can measure blood pressure and how much oxygen is in the blood, and provide other information about the pumping ability of the heart muscle or for treatment. When a catheter is used to inject dye into the coronary arteries, this is termed coronary angiography or coronary arteriography . If a catheter has a balloon on the tip, the procedure known as percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty (P.T.C.A.) can be done. Catheterization can also be performed on infants and children to examine or treat congenital cardiac defects.

Be thinking of you all. Let us hear from you soon.

Christina
Aortic Stenosis
AVR 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St. Jude's mechanical
Coumadin 19 mg a day.

Latest posts

Back