Cardiac Cath

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SB42

Hi all,

I had my cardiac cath today for my AVR on 01/18/12. Long day...got to hospital early so I wouldn't disrupt my kid's morning routine / school day. Was supposed to be there for 8:30 am, but arrived at 6 am...my cath was scheduled for 10:30 am but didn't proceed until 11 am. Once I got in, I was fortunate that it only took 30 min - I even was able to fight the meds and stay awake to watch. Per results, just as we knew, need to replace my aortic valve. Rest of the heart is functioning well with a potential "minor" artery blockage that shouldn't cause any additional complications but will discuss with my surgeon (Dr. John Garrett) and monitor closely. After a few hours of bed rest, I finally got home at 6 pm - whew, I am whipped -LOL...The staff at Virginia Hospital Center rocks! New state-of-the-art facility with exceptional customer service - thank you, VHC! All that is left is my ultrasound of neck tomorrow and blood work that I will have taken about a week before my surgery....needless to say, the waiting game quite frankly sucks, but I am in a good place mentally and physically and looking to move forward and recover as quickly as possible.

Keep the faith,

SB42

Thanks for this...I just finished posting a thread about my upcoming Cath so it was very timely. Glad to hear that it went smoothly for you.

I am happy to hear you are doing well. Sounds like you have a very good frame of mind going into your surgery, and no complications found so far. That all bodes well for a good recovery!

Thanks, Jason! I also want to thank you for your post on watching a video of the procedure. It encouraged me to go out and find one on the internet...the interesting thing, in addition to seeing the actual surgery, was that the Chief Surgeon from Texas Heart Institute (Dr. Cooley) that was providing the commentary trained my surgeon, Dr. John Garrett...very comforting.

Hi all,

I had my cardiac cath today for my AVR on 01/18/12. Long day...got to hospital early so I wouldn't disrupt my kid's morning routine / school day. Was supposed to be there for 8:30 am, but arrived at 6 am...my cath was scheduled for 10:30 am but didn't proceed until 11 am. Once I got in, I was fortunate that it only took 30 min - I even was able to fight the meds and stay awake to watch. Per results, just as we knew, need to replace my aortic valve. Rest of the heart is functioning well with a potential "minor" artery blockage that shouldn't cause any additional complications but will discuss with my surgeon (Dr. John Garrett) and monitor closely. After a few hours of bed rest, I finally got home at 6 pm - whew, I am whipped -LOL...The staff at Virginia Hospital Center rocks! New state-of-the-art facility with exceptional customer service - thank you, VHC! All that is left is my ultrasound of neck tomorrow and blood work that I will have taken about a week before my surgery....needless to say, the waiting game quite frankly sucks, but I am in a good place mentally and physically and looking to move forward and recover as quickly as possible.

Keep the faith,

SB42

Great to hear the first steps are so smooth ....... looking forward to reports of nothing but smooth roads on the 18th and thereafter

Godspeed

SB, if you watched the Texas Heart Institute video with Dr Ott performing the AVR, one of the commentators was Dr Cooley. I found watching it very comforting and you certainly appreciate what the surgeon does. One can only be impressed with such skill. Only masters make complex tasks seem easy.

If I had any advice to offer for the next few days it is to "lay back". Spend time with the people who are close to you, have some nice meals, and do some of the things that help you relieve stress. As an adult, I am now living with my first dog so I don't recommend getting a puppy at this moment. You might consider making some notes for yourself, if you have not already done so, describing how you have been feeling. They can make for interesting reading a few weeks from now. Mostly, fill the next few days with things you like to do. Best wishes.

Bede-12-Weeks.jpg
BEDE at 12 weeks

Larry

Great advice, Larry...thank you! Yes, it just so happens that my surgeon, Dr. John Garrett trained under Dr. Cooley...and you are right, these physican masters make heart surgery look as easy as chewing gum - LOL....one day closer - yee-haw!

SB42

Latest posts

Back