Card for Implant

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlhudson

I asked this as a reply to another post and did not get any answers, so here I go again.

Should everyone who has had any type of a ring implanted during a MVR (or other repair) have received a card regardless of type of ring?

Quote by Ross: By law implants must be tracked in event of recall.

I did not get anything and am curious as to the need to ask. :confused:

Terry,

I didn't receive any such thing that I know of, and I had a Cosgrove ring put in last November 2003.

No one said a word to me about this either.

Christina L.

Hi Christina

The reason I'm asking is in an earlier post here under Heart Talk specifically called Cosgrove Ring. Look at the post. It's still there.

I had a ring inplanted, not sure what kind though. But sure makes me wonder if I should have received something. Makes sense. I'd hate to have to go to the ER and not have a clue God Forbid Something happen.

I carry ID Cards

I carry ID Cards

Terry,

I was sent plastic Id cards after my surgeries. I have one from St. Jude's Medical. It gives all the information about my mechanical valve. It has the model number and serial number and my dr. and Cleveland Clinic number on it. Ocassionaly they sent me an update letter and I fill it out and return it to them. I also carry one for my pacemaker implant. It gives an emergency number to call if I am rushed to hospital. I didnt know I had to carry these. After my surgery, I was given temporary cards to show if I needed medical attention. Then I received the plastic ones in the mail. They are really handy if I am ill and rushed to the hospital. It really came in handy when I went thru a metal detector at the mall. The alarms went off and I knew right away what was goin on. So I put my things down and showed them my cards. It was pretty comical and everyone had a good laugh. ;) So check with the hospital that did your surgery or with your Dr. I think they are great to have and all my drs. and hospitals have copied them in my medical records.

Terry,

Yes, I saw that thread about the Cosgrove ring.

You are right, I guess a person should know what they have implanted in their heart in case of an emergency. Guess, I will be calling Cleveland about this! It makes me wonder also if I should have some sort of medical information in my purse/car at all times just in case.

What do you think? Others on this board, your opinions on the subject? I am not on blood thinners at all, just have the Cosgrove ring on my mitral valve.

Thanks.

Christina L.

I have a nice plastic St. Jude card.

I also have a paper card from Edwards Lifesciences for an annuloplasty ring in the mitral position, giving serial, model, size, much worse for wear.

Card

Card

I have always recieved one on both pacers and valves.

Med

I should think that you could start wtih asking your surgeon or someone else that was involved in your care when you had the device implanted.

Even if you know who made the device, they may not be willing to give you a card like that right away if it wasn't issued in the beginning, simply because they'd probably want independent confirmation (the hospital where you were treated) of your identity and that you had the device.... Privacy issues and all that crap.

I don't know that there is neccesarily a law that says you have to have an ID card if you have a heart valve. ANY implanted medical device used in the US has to be registered with the government (I think the FDA) for the purpose of tracking device safety if something goes bad, I suspect the ID card is just a service provided voluntarily by the manufacturer....

Hello, Fellow Hoosier,
Hey, it took me several years and several phone calls to get my card. Don't know what the hold up was, but I can tell you this, when I needed an MRI this year, it was worth having that card. The MRI techs need to see your model number.

I called my surgeon to inquire about getting a card Friday. I was told that the manufactures rep. told them it is no longer required for cards to be given out, but if I wanted one they would make sure that I received one.

So I have a card coming for a Duran Annuloplasty Ring.

At least now I know what was put inside of me. Up til now though I really didn't care as long as it worked and continued to do so. But it is nice to know. :)

Latest posts

Back