Can't stop thinking about it....scared to death of ascending aortic aneurysm surgery!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in my early 20s when a doctor at Student Health at UCLA heard a murmur. The doctor had others listen to it, and I may have had some primitive diagnostics run (this was in the 1970s, the stone ages, compared to current capabilities. I was told that I'll have to have a valve replacement 'in about 20 years.' I had a bicuspid valve, and it will eventually fail.

I didn't let it bother me much - I knew that my endurance would be reduced, and this explained some faintness after extreme exertion. I saw my condition slowly and slightly diminish during the waiting period. I didn't really dread the inevitable - I knew that some day, I would need the repair. I also, I think, realized that technologies continued to improve.

I got to 41 years old. My endurance was a bit down. I had a good job and good medical benefits. My heart was enlarging because of the aortic regurgitation. I asked my cardiologist 'how sick do I have to be before I can get the surgery?' His answer was to refer me to what was, probably, one of the most expert valve replacement surgeons in the area.

We agreed that, at 41 years old, the best choice was a mechanical valve. I'm not sure whether there were many valves available, but I left that choice to my surgeon.

I made sure that my financial records were intact in case my wife needed access to them.

The night before I went to the hospital for pre-op, I took my kids to a drive in Movie. I don't think that I was especially concerned about it - my fate was out of my control, and I trusted my surgeon and the medical team.

I don't think that I obsessed over the surgery, although some of us are naturally terrified by it.

As has been noted - it's like boarding a plane. You have to trust the pilot (or surgeon), who has probably done this hundreds of times before.

Relax. You'll be in good hands. Let the experts handle the hard stuff. (But warn your significant other that, if they visit you post-op, you may wind up with tubes coming out of everywhere, and it may be scarier for them than it is for you).

Worrying about it will only increase your stress level. It may put more strain on your cardiovascular system. It's unnecessary and counterproductive (and, I'm sure, it's often awfully damned hard to ignore).

Many of us have been where you are now. We've gotten through it. So will you.

It is normal to be very scared. I was too! So, I attacked it like this. First learn as much as you can about your condition.. Find the solution that is right for you. Find a surgeon and hospital that you respect and trust,

I did the following- joined a gym and lost 10 lbs,, walking 2 miles per day. Spiritual and psychological counseling.. Surgery went fine. now more than 3 years post op all is well.
But it was the scariest thing I every went through. But I survived. I mention it all the time to perfect strangers and others. My goal...help someone else get through it. This website and the great group of "survivors" helped me make my choice of the On-X valve and recover and return not just to a normal life but to a better life!

Latest posts

Back