Can't locate packing list for hospital -

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flymark

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I thought I recalled a thread that contained an extensive packing list for the hospital. A friend is heading in tomorrow for aortic root replacement. Can someone please post the link to the thread. Maybe it should also be pinned?

Morning

A friend is heading in tomorrow for aortic root replacement. Can someone please post the link to the thread. Maybe it should also be pinned?

as well as what's above I always suggest using the search tool
1704828830116.png

note that I've included the tick in Search titles only

first link I got was this
https://www.valvereplacement.org/threads/packing.34358/
While I'm at it I'm going to say "KimChi"

https://www.valvereplacement.org/th...ormally-given-after-surgery.42700/post-777281
I can say that after 3 (all in around a year) surgeries I have tested with and without and now I'm going to say:
1704829096292.png

(no I'm not married to a Korean)

Rules will be different for every hospital, and may change with time (because of COVID waves, etc). But it's useful to know them, in case several people want to visit you and, say, only 2 are allowed.

If you want to use any electronic devices (smartphone?) then an extender cord seems to have been useful for many people. Just because the power outlets are never quite close, and moving around won't be easy at first.

I found "water pick" to be useful, as flossing was not allowed. An industrial-strength antiseptic was provided as a mouthwash, but I still wanted some flossing.

Having a short haircut and (if applicable) shaving might make it a bit more pleasant. I would've shaved upper torso (again, if applicable), because it becomes a post-it surface for various IV/drug lines, attachments, painkiller patches. And it's easier to remove them when the hair is not in the way. But it has to be done ahead of time. There should be instructions to avoid doing that a day or two before going in (to avoid cuts and inflamations).

EDIT: Electric shaver can be useful if one wants to shave an other kinds are forbidden.

Last edited:
Gail's got it right. My hospital supplied what I needed except for a radio and reading material.

V_'s hospital's prohibition of razors that are manual was not true at my hospital and I was on warfarin. However I was happy not to shave for a week.

Reactions: V__
My hospital supplied what I needed except for a radio and reading material.
Hm. A radio is an interesting choice. My hospital had TV, which I never watched 🤷‍♂️

V_'s hospital's prohibition of razors that are manual was not true at my hospital and I was on warfarin.
Good to know! I did suspect that the different hospitals have different requirements/strategies. Mine was keen on reducing "water weight" after the surgery. They had a reason for that, but I understood was not a universal rule.

However I was happy not to shave for a week.
You choice. I felt better shaven (with an electrical razor). Was kind of a "normal life ritual" :)

I felt better shaven (with an electrical razor). Was kind of a "normal life ritual"
myself I've been back and fwd over the years but I prefer about this length
1705959800610.png

(taken 2002 in Japan with my new Toho)

Uses included focal plane control
1705960196727.png

4x5 sheet film, hand developed (and usually contact printed onto Fuji Postcard paper)

Last edited:
Back