Can't Keep Up

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip B

Here's a new experience...

I managed to break my foot in early December and ended-up taking a required twelve week break from any kind of exercise. When the cast came off, I immediately started riding my bike on a trainer. I also began both strength and cardio work on a regular basis several weeks ago when we opened an employee fitness center on my campus.

We've had lots of nasty spring weather in the mountains this year which has prevented outdoor riding. On Saturday, I drove down to Denver to do some actual roadwork.

The rest of my body couldn't seem to keep pace with my cardiac capability. I could barely get my HR monitor up to 140. It seems my pump is in better shape than my legs. I can't wait to see what I can do when the rest of me catches up with my heart.

-Philip

Have you tried either swimming, aquarobics, or water jogging? Alberto Salazar (former Boston Marathon winner) broke his foot and kept in shape by "jogging" in the deep end of a pool. He wore a lifejacket to not sink and churned away with his legs but with no impact (or damage) at all.

Good luck.

John

Water Jogging?

Water Jogging?

Hi John,

No pool exercise for me since we have no pool in the community where I live. During the winter, the usual exercise stuff for folks who live up here involves traditional winter sports activities. Needless to say, I was back on skis fairly quickly after getting the release from my doctor. The mended foot works just fine.

I'm just really amazed that my replacement heart valve and aorta are in better shape than my legs. My legs will just have to catch up.

-Philip

Latest posts

Back