cancellation list

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maisiejane

Hi all, just a quick update - I saw my surgeon in August and was placed onto the waiting list for my AVR, I agreed to go onto the cancellation list as the current wait list in this area of the UK is 6 months, as a lot have advised on this forum I have managed to put the thoughts of my surgery a little further to the back of my mind as it felt a long way off, well yesterday whilst I was at work I got the call asking if I could go in this coming Monday, unfortunately I cant as we have arrangements and I am not available until after November 8th, but the realisation actually hit me like a Wrecking ball, this is actually going to happen and if yesterday is anything to go by, it will happen quick and without much notice, eek: I better get my PJ's bought :D

It'll be surgery time before you know it. The waiting in the worst. You better start getting ready!

Hi maisiejane,

Just noticed your thread. I'm from the UK too. I'm now in the waiting room proper - been in the outer waiting room for years - and seeing a surgeon in the next week or so, cardiologist says I can probably wait till the spring for my AVR. I'm lucky that I have Bupa. Go get your pj's ! I am already looking for mine. The top has to button up the front :)

Hi maisiejane,

Just noticed your thread. I'm from the UK too. I'm now in the waiting room proper - been in the outer waiting room for years - and seeing a surgeon in the next week or so, cardiologist says I can probably wait till the spring for my AVR. I'm lucky that I have Bupa. Go get your pj's ! I am already looking for mine. The top has to button up the front :)

Hi Paleogirl,
My Hubby took Voluntary Redundancy in January and he had private health insurance with the job, typical that whist he was working for them and I was covered for surgery I was in the outer waiting room but as soon as he gave up the insurance I get bumped to the front of the queue :mad: so now have to rely on good old NHS. I have bought my PJ's and yes they have buttons down the front, not sure what items I will need to take in with me I think someone on the forum has composed a list, I will explore, have you decided on your valve choice yet? I have chosen tissue but my surgeon was not too pleased coz he thinks I am too young :D Good luck, let me know how you get on x

Hi Paleogirl,
My Hubby took Voluntary Redundancy in January and he had private health insurance with the job, typical that whist he was working for them and I was covered for surgery I was in the outer waiting room but as soon as he gave up the insurance I get bumped to the front of the queue :mad: so now have to rely on good old NHS. I have bought my PJ's and yes they have buttons down the front, not sure what items I will need to take in with me I think someone on the forum has composed a list, I will explore, have you decided on your valve choice yet? I have chosen tissue but my surgeon was not too pleased coz he thinks I am too young :D Good luck, let me know how you get on x
Hi - my husband got made redundant in April but as part of his package we have Bupa for life !!! So I feel I must be the luckiest person alive at the moment - hey and we aren't in the slightest bit wealthy, we live in a three bedroomed ex council house LOL Only the Brits on here will appreciate that remark :)

I've chosen a tissue valve, I'm just 60, but I know I may get some stick from the surgeon, the cardiologist has already asked me to think seriously about it, as if I haven't. I've been on this forum for a few years now and read up loads about valves. I would hate any kind of ticking noise - I have very sensitive hearing - plus I have a load of other health problems so, even though a tissue valve does not guarantee someone won't have to take Warfarin it is not so likely. I know I don't like the idea of a re-op in about 15 years when I'm older and not as strong as now but quality of life is important and I couldn't stand even the smallest hint of ticking.

I was wondering what other items or clothing I need when I go in for surgery. Even though I want to put it off till the spring time if I can, whenever I go to the shops I look at things with surgery in mind. I haven't seen a list here of items ?

Do keep us posted on how you get on.

Hi - my husband got made redundant in April but as part of his package we have Bupa for life !!! So I feel I must be the luckiest person alive at the moment - hey and we aren't in the slightest bit wealthy, we live in a three bedroomed ex council house LOL Only the Brits on here will appreciate that remark :)

I've chosen a tissue valve, I'm just 60, but I know I may get some stick from the surgeon, the cardiologist has already asked me to think seriously about it, as if I haven't. I've been on this forum for a few years now and read up loads about valves. I would hate any kind of ticking noise - I have very sensitive hearing - plus I have a load of other health problems so, even though a tissue valve does not guarantee someone won't have to take Warfarin it is not so likely. I know I don't like the idea of a re-op in about 15 years when I'm older and not as strong as now but quality of life is important and I couldn't stand even the smallest hint of ticking.

I was wondering what other items or clothing I need when I go in for surgery. Even though I want to put it off till the spring time if I can, whenever I go to the shops I look at things with surgery in mind. I haven't seen a list here of items ?

Do keep us posted on how you get on.

Hi Paleogirl,
Council and proud ;) I was brought up in Council properties and they are the best made houses with good sized gardens.
You are lucky to have kept your insurance you should be sorted pretty quickly.
What part of the country are you from, I am in Cheshire but will be having my surgery done at Wythenshawe hospital which is part of Manchester. I am 52yrs old that's why my surgeon isn't too happy, but my choices are exactly the same as yours, noise drives me crazy:eek2: and I don't like the idea of Warfarin for life. will keep you informed and if I can track down the post which tells you what to take with you I will copy and paste, chat soon x

Hi ! We do have a very good sized garden yes ! Much bigger than other houses in the area. My son has special needs and as I'm his Carer social services now give me one and a half hours a week gardening work which is most helpful now (dh being useless at cutting the grass or hedges lol) since I am finding physical work more challenging. I still keep walking a few miles every day though.

I'm in Surrey near Kingston. I'll be having the op at St Anthony's Hospital but the surgeons come from St George's, Tooting, which is a very good teaching hsopital...unless the cardiologist changes his mind and wants me to go to the Brompton. I have just 'changed' cardiologists because the first one wouldn't let me see any other surgeon other than his 'pal' which I wasn't happy about, nor was one of my other consultants about about that so he referred me to another cardiologist. I'm having another echo this coming Friday because the first cardiologist didn't leave any records on the system for other consutlants to look at - so that's two things he has done wrong ! So Friday I'll know more after the echo when I'll see the 'new' cardiologist again.

I found the thread about what to bring into hospital here: http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?13283-what-to-take-to-the-hospital-a-checklist So funny one of the posts from another Brit says:
- - antibacterial spray & wipes (to clean thoroughly around the bed etc) - probably a food parcel - I could add a foreign language phrase book, but that would be politically incorrect
Made me laugh :)

Hi, You know you cant beat the UK welfare system, that's brilliant that they are helping with your garden, just sick of all the cuts they are making, I work for Social Services, I manage a mental health team, and you wont believe all the much needed resources that have been closed down, but maybe you have experienced the same with your son.
I also laughed when I read the uk checklist, must remember to pack the hand gel. Good luck with the new Cardiologist, mine is brilliant and I trusted her judgement on choice of surgeon, he has excellent skills but his people skills didn't make me jump for joy! Let me know how you get on. I keep saying that I must start walking at least 3 miles a day, but when I get home from work I don't fancy it, used to be very active as I had a horse but she died 2 years ago, I quite fancy having another so will wait and see how good I feel post surgery. Take care x

Wow - you manage a mental health team ! No wonder you don't get on forum until the evening.....and you must have your work cut out. Yes, unfortunately there have been cuts in our area but thankfully our care manager has managed to secure things for me for the moment. My son doesn't get very much from Social Services (he gets disability benefits though), although to be fair they just gave him a grant towards the cost of a new computer, it's me as his Carer that seems to get more help which I can't quite understand !

I do wish you luck with your 'cancellation' - do let us know when you get the next one which you can take and how you get on. Will you be able to take a decent amount of sick leave after your op ? It seems very important to recover well and give yourself enough time x

Wow - you manage a mental health team ! No wonder you don't get on forum until the evening.....and you must have your work cut out. Yes, unfortunately there have been cuts in our area but thankfully our care manager has managed to secure things for me for the moment. My son doesn't get very much from Social Services (he gets disability benefits though), although to be fair they just gave him a grant towards the cost of a new computer, it's me as his Carer that seems to get more help which I can't quite understand !

I do wish you luck with your 'cancellation' - do let us know when you get the next one which you can take and how you get on. Will you be able to take a decent amount of sick leave after your op ? It seems very important to recover well and give yourself enough time x

A load of government monies have been put into Carers, they save the system a fortune so it would be foolish not to look after them but you must admit it's long over due. They have been brilliant at work and fortunately I have not needed any time off, it's me that is the problem, I am not brilliant at delegation and I refuse to let my broken heart to slow me down (at work ) I have told them I will be off 6 weeks but I might get used to being looked after by my hubby and may take advantage :) will let you know if I get that call. Deb x

Latest posts

Back