Cancel nonheart related procedure? How long a wait for Cleveland Clinic surgery dept. response?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarenK

I just received a call from the doctor’s office cancelling an outpatient medical test that I’ve waited 8 months for. The doctor wants to do the test in the hospital instead due to the aortic stenosis. It’s a colonoscopy which I’ve only been given light sedation for in the past so this surprised me.

Are your doctors changing or cancelling nonheart related tests and treatments?

I normally get a colonoscopy every 3 years due to my and my family history. Now I’m wondering and weighing if I should not do it at this time…extend it for another year (4yrs. 8mo.) and the potential risks of doing so.

I’m not scheduled for surgery yet. The Cleveland Clinic just received all my medical records 10 days ago and I’m waiting to hear back from them. Anybody else? How long did it take to get a response?

I just received a call from the doctor’s office cancelling an outpatient medical test that I’ve waited 8 months for. The doctor wants to do the test in the hospital instead due to the aortic stenosis. It’s a colonoscopy which I’ve only been given light sedation for in the past so this surprised me.

Your post seems a bit confusing to me. You are saying that your colonoscopy was canceled because your doctor is concerned about your aortic stenosis and wants to reschedule it in the hospital as opposed to an out-patient facility, correct?

Then why are you asking....???

I normally get a colonoscopy every 3 years due to my and my family history. Now I’m wondering and weighing if I should not do it at this time…extend it for another year (4yrs. 8mo.) and the potential risks of doing so.
Have they ever found anything worrisome (e.g. polyps) in the past to warrant one every 3 years (other than just family history)? Sounds like a discussion to have with your doctor/surgeon as you may soon be entering the waiting room for AV surgery, but why not wait until after your AV surgery to get one?

I’m not scheduled for surgery yet. The Cleveland Clinic just received all my medical records 10 days ago and I’m waiting to hear back from them. Anybody else? How long did it take to get a response?
Did you send your medical records to a particular surgeon yet and/or did you inquire when you might hear back? Cleveland Clinic operates like a well "oiled machine" so you should get the proper attention during the appointment and scheduling process on the administration side.

My colonoscopies occur in a hospital setting because that's where it's done by my two doctors. It's still "out patient" since I leave as soon as I wake up. The biggest risk in a colonoscopy is bowel perforation because the doctor turned right instead of left. This is an uncommon accident but requires surgery to fix. I had a colonoscopy right before surgery for my aortic stenosis, neither my cardiologist or colorectal surgeon stated there was any additional risk due to my heart problem.

I had OHS Jan 29, 2023. On May 30, I had full sedation when I got a shoulder replacement. My cardiologist had no issue with the sedation.
YMMV, but that's how my doc handled it.

He may be wanting to proceed with caution and these are generally done at a hospital. So I would not delay it, but know your doctor knows best to get this done. And your Heart Surgery has not been set yet.

My experience with the CC was about 2 weeks to get a response to my medical records submission. I sent them directly to the surgeon of my choice and followed up with his admin. The response was a phone call from his scheduling nurse who indicated that he felt that I was a candidate for surgery at that time and that he was willing to lead the surgery. She made the appointment at my request on that same call. Had to wait about 2 months for a surgery date.

HTH

Your post seems a bit confusing to me. You are saying that your colonoscopy was canceled because your doctor is concerned about your aortic stenosis and wants to reschedule it in the hospital as opposed to an out-patient facility, correct?

Then why are you asking....???

Have they ever found anything worrisome (e.g. polyps) in the past to warrant one every 3 years (other than just family history)? Sounds like a discussion to have with your doctor/surgeon as you may soon be entering the waiting room for AV surgery, but why not wait until after your AV surgery to get one?

Did you send your medical records to a particular surgeon yet and/or did you inquire when you might hear back? Cleveland Clinic operates like a well "oiled machine" so you should get the proper attention during the appointment and scheduling process on the administration side.
My post was out of frustration as the more heart related testing, the more non-heart related issues are arising. The colonoscopy is just a routine test that I've received 8 calls about it so far, and it's back and forth on what doctor will do it. This has me wondering why they are making a big deal about it.

But then I'm hearing about other invasive testing I supposed to do. A CT for my aortic valve calcium score and shows I have mural thickening of the stomach and a possible infiltration gastric lesion and need further invasive testing.

Another CT of the head/neck, 2.5 cm enhancing lesion in parotid gland, recommends biopsy/removal. And it continues...

A little research shows there are extra risks with age and heart disease with colonoscopy and other invasive tests. So, I think I'm not going to do any of this other testing for other issues that may or may not exist. The heart issue exists and it's a biggie. Every time I've had a colonoscopy they've found a number of adenomas (precancerous polyps) they are still so slow growing, it can wait.

My medical records were sent to Dr. Kenneth McCurry at the Cleveland Clinic. I haven't at this point checked into this doctor, I'm assuming he's good since it's the Cleveland Clinic. Any doctor input is always appreciated.
Thanks!

My experience with the CC was about 2 weeks to get a response to my medical records submission. I sent them directly to the surgeon of my choice and followed up with his admin. The response was a phone call from his scheduling nurse who indicated that he felt that I was a candidate for surgery at that time and that he was willing to lead the surgery. She made the appointment at my request on that same call. Had to wait about 2 months for a surgery date.

HTH
Thanks for the response. I sent my records to Dr. McCurry. I'm sure it will be anxiety producing when I get a response. I'll need the 2 months to prep myself emotionally and otherwise. 😳

FWIW, I went from Florida to CC to obtain. what seemed to me to be, the best skills and facilities available. If I had to do it over, I would do it the same way. Not just excellent surgeons, but excellent staff at all levels and most of them that I came in contact with were specialized for heart surgery patients - e.g. PAs, nurses, physical therapy, etc. It's a world class operation (pun intended).

Good luck. Wishing you a successful outcome, a complete and rapid recovery and a great new lease on life.

My CC timeline was I sent all testing and medical information in early Nov of '22 in to Dr. Roselli's office. Received call back in early December that I was a candidate for surgery (which I knew from a more local hospital, just sought out CC for second opinion) and that his earliest surgery was late May of 2023. Wasn't thrilled with waiting nearly 6 months, but he was the surgeon we wanted and that was recommended, so we waited and I had a successful surgery just 10 weeks ago!
We were told his wait times were some of the longest, if we needed surgery sooner they would've sent me to another surgeon.
Just my experience, but I'm glad I waited.

My colonoscopies occur in a hospital setting because that's where it's done by my two doctors. It's still "out patient" since I leave as soon as I wake up. The biggest risk in a colonoscopy is bowel perforation because the doctor turned right instead of left. This is an uncommon accident but requires surgery to fix. I had a colonoscopy right before surgery for my aortic stenosis, neither my cardiologist or colorectal surgeon stated there was any additional risk due to my heart problem.

Hi Tom, I'm 67, you maybe one of the youngsters and the risks are not as great. I read a study about colonoscopy and the 30 day mortality rate. In category A were 44 older folks with heart problems. There were arrhythmia and ischemia issues. Two died.
There is next to nothing out this on this type of study so who really knows the true risks. Polyps are a slow growing issue compared with the aortic stenosis so I can wait for now.

Great to hear you were able to have the shoulder replacement so soon, just 4 months(!) after OHS. I was told to cancel the surgery on my feet. Good to know that I may have that surgery as soon as 4 months after OHS!

FWIW, I went from Florida to CC to obtain. what seemed to me to be, the best skills and facilities available. If I had to do it over, I would do it the same way. Not just excellent surgeons, but excellent staff at all levels and most of them that I came in contact with were specialized for heart surgery patients - e.g. PAs, nurses, physical therapy, etc. It's a world class operation (pun intended).

Good luck. Wishing you a successful outcome, a complete and rapid recovery and a great new lease on life.
I wouldn't dream of going anywhere else but the Cleveland Clinic!!!
I have seen what people have gone through here locally. My sister was one of them. She had her valve replaced and it ended up killing her. She was discharged to a rehab facility and they gave up on her. Her kids did too. They blamed her for not cooperating! OMG, call and ambulance and get her to different hospital! They did and eventually she was able to go home again but died 6 months later.

Latest posts

Back