Can You Clear Up for Me?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbdheartman

Is BAV repair synonymous with either the Yacoub Remodeling Procedure or the David Reimplantation procedure? Is that what is meant by repair? Or is there some other repair that I am missing? I ask because of a discussion I was having with someone. Thanks!

The David and Yacoub Procedures are procedures that allow the aortic root to be repaired and the original valve to be reused in its normal position. They were developed to repair aortic root dilation or aneurysm, and may involve a three-leafed valve or a bicuspid one.

Neither of these procedures addresses BAV repair, which involves reshaping the valve's cusps and ensuring a tight, non-regurgitant (non-leaking) closure, bringing it back to its original status as a competent, but still bicuspid valve. Between 20% and 50% of repaired bicuspid valves (depending on which site you are visiting) have to be replaced within ten years, occasionally within days or months, if the repair is a failure out of the gate.

Best wishes,

So when a surgeon says he might just leave the valve untouched does he actually mean the Yacoub or David procedures?

And you can do a repair with an aneurysm repair too?

Bob, the numbers you cite are for the repairs rather than the Yacoub/David procedures, right? Those numbers are actually pretty good, right?

heartman, my situation is similar to yours i think... I was just diagnosed with BAV in March. I too am trying to research all aspects of fixing my leaky BAV. I am leaning towards repair, then tissue, then Onyx. I have not been told that i need surgery yet, I am 29 yrs old. I have found several members on here that have had a repair done of there BAV. one lasted 20years and the other i think maybe longer. missmelis is a VR user that had a repair last 20 yrs. I know that everyones situation is different and that repair is not always an option. I still have not had a follow-up consultation since my diagnosis, but i am hoping that repair is an option for me. I think that i am too young and active and don't want to mess with blood thinners for the next 60years. let me know what you find out as far as BAV repair options go, and good luck on your search.

When he says leave the valve untouched, I think he is referring to the cusps. Both the David Reimplantation Procedure (and its modifications) and the Yacoub Remodelling procedure involve reimplanting (sewing) the base of the valve to the new root graft, so there is considerable "touching" of the valve going on.

These two procedures are all about the repair of the aorta. They are not about doing anything to the valve annulus (opening) or cusps. The valve actually remains attached to the left ventricle during the procedures, with the graft being fitted to the outside of it. The valve is involved only inthat it's being sutured into the new graft from the inside.

There is nothing except longer pump time to prevent the surgeon from also doing repair work to the valve while it's accessible, as a separate segment of the OHS.

Best wishes,

If I remember correctly you said you had mod. regurge. I would not want to leaVE THAT untouched. I would seek a second opinion. Have you expoyed the idea of a ross proceedure?

Have they talked about repairing the bi valve? Re gurge is not good for the aorta or the heart and tends to get worse over time.

Back