Can sleep (lack of) affect INR?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MNmom

Maybe a dumb question, but could lack of sleep affect my INR? I was up until 430 this morning finishing a good book- I didnt even realize when I was done how late (or early, for that matter) it was. Of course this morning I was promptly awakened by my wonderful children, since they tend not to sleep later than about 630/7. The actually gave me a break to wake me up at 745. So I had about 3 hours of sleep last night- and go in to check INR tomorrow. Could this lack of sleep affect tomorrow's number? Or am I just really paranoid? I havent missed any doses. Been on 12.5 mgs a day since last Thursday.
Thanks!
Ingrid

To the best of my knowledge, length of sleep does not affect your INR. However, it probably does affect oxygen levels in your blood, cellular repair and a myriad other things.

If I were to get only 3 hours' sleep, I'd wake up feeling like a telephone pole had been rammed through my chest & abdomen.
That's exactly how I felt pre-op and post-op and how I feel if I don't get enough rest. I've described it as such to my cardiologist.
And it takes me at least 24-36 hours' to recover.

You aren't that long post op and your rest is very important. It's wonderful you lost yourself in a good book but not a good idea for you to get so little sleep at this stage of your recovery. One night of it will make no difference in the whole scheme of things but a bad habit to form.

I wonder about it effecting your INR....I doubt it.

To the best of my knowledge, length of sleep does not affect your INR. However, it probably does affect oxygen levels in your blood, cellular repair and a myriad other things.

If I were to get only 3 hours' sleep, I'd wake up feeling like a telephone pole had been rammed through my chest & abdomen.
That's exactly how I felt pre-op and post-op and how I feel if I don't get enough rest. I've described it as such to my cardiologist.
And it takes me at least 24-36 hours' to recover.

Catwomen- that sounds awful! Luckily I dont have any of those physical symptoms of not sleeping- but Im sure i will be cranky and zoned out a bit today. The worst part is my husband is working later today too- so I wont have help until around 6 tonight. The count-down begins!

Well now if you vacuumed, cleaned the windows, did the dishes, washed the floors etc, while you were awake, then yes because you are excercising, but sitting and reading a book, no.

Ross is right....laying down and reading a book is at least relaxing....now if you were out partying and dancing until 4:30 a.m. then you would be looking at a possible INR change. In bed early tonight!!

I just returned home from a week's "vacation" helping our son and DIL get their new house ready to move in. I watched my Avatar while they worked. I traded places with my DIL and stayed up late painting and then got up at the crack of dawn with my singing Avatar. It was quite a week!

I did my INR test before we left. It was 4.1 (I didn't change my dose) I took it again last night upon returning home. It was 4.1! (It's really rare to get two identical tests in a row. And the strips were from different batches.)

We were all like you at one time. So don't feel like you're making too much of it and we're going to laugh at you. But you will look back on this time in a few years and chuckle to yourself.

I just returned home from a week's "vacation" helping our son and DIL get their new house ready to move in. I watched my Avatar while they worked. I traded places with my DIL and stayed up late painting and then got up at the crack of dawn with my singing Avatar. It was quite a week!

Karlynn:

I could use your painting services at my house!!

When I stay up late, it's due to travel or watching TV (LMN, Discovery Channel, Nat Geo, History Channel, etc.).

Karlynn:

I could use your painting services at my house!!

When I stay up late, it's due to travel or watching TV (LMN, Discovery Channel, Nat Geo, History Channel, etc.).
My whole house needs painting. The chances of getting Glenn in the mood to do it now are slim to none!

Lack of sleep might affect the INR if you stayed up all night eating spinach.

Latest posts

Back