Can Anyone Recommend an At-Home INR Testing Kit?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear Tech:

Since March 2001, we have purchased 2 anticoagulation monitors, The ProTime Microcoagulation monitor and the INRatio. We also pay for our own strips when needed.

Of course the vendor is reinbursed for all strips purchased by me and others who pay for their own monitors and strips. They get the hundreds of dollars that I send to them when I purchase strips. We do not receive any reimbursement from anyone.

When we got the first monitor, our insurance did not cover the monitor or the strips. When we got the INRatio, we decided to bypass Medicare and their rules and regulations.

Blanche

You should really think about having Medicare cover it. You would get reimbursed as far as I could see: http://www.hemosense.com/patient/reimburse.shtml

http://www.hemosense.com/docs/5500207_ReimbGuide_RevF_web.pdf

There are certain if ands or buts about what provider you are going through but if you are not going through a medicare provider you can get set up for reimbursement for the stuff that you buy. It could save you money.

I'm not a complete expert on Medicare reimbursement but I looked into patients being reimbursed and it seems that there are situations that you could get reimbursed for all of those strips you're buying.

I pay cash for my Hemosense strips to Express Medical- bulk pack of 48 for $199.99. You need a doctors prescription. info @ 1-888-886-6337 X 171

There are three main meters on the market: Hemosense INRatio2, ITC Protime. CoaguChek meter by Roche. All 3 will do what you want. Each manufacturer website has a comparison between the 3. It would be best to choose from them:

1. http://www.hemosense.com/docs/5500285_INRatio_vs_LAB_POC_RevC_lowres.pdf This is a technical document at the bottom it explains the different methodologies used.
2. http://www.hemosense.com/patient/inratio2.shtml This is info on the product itself

3. https://www.poc.roche.com/poc/gener...n_IE&docid=article/POC_general_article_54.htm

CoaguChek XS

4. http://www.protimesystem.com/pro_benefits.html
ITC actually has a really good comparison chart.

Personally I work for Hemosense. So I am going to have a Bias in certain directions. All meters will do what you're looking for but some offer different amenities that may appeal more to you. The more popular meters CoaguChek and INRatio really have 2 very important differences.

CoaguChek has a smaller sample (10uL) and uses a code chip with each box
INRatio2 has a slightly larger sample (15 uL) and uses a strip code.

INRatio2 has onboard quality control, basically a strip self-test that tells if you if there is something interfering with the test, perhaps a faulty test strip.

CoaguChek has external controls that you apply to the test strip to tell you if the strip is good or not.

Truth be told: CoaguChek's only true advantage is for Doctor offices only that require biannual Proficiency testing. INRatio2 does not have that because the on-board controls will not allow anything but a blood sample to be applied. Other than that it's a pick or choose. I hope the material I gave will be good for you in helping to choose.

A good website to check out it www.ptinr.com

so which model is the smallest/easiest for travel?

The INRatio, according to Hemosense's website:

Specifications
Length: 5.9 inches (15.1 cm)
Width: 2.9 inches (7.4 cm)
Height: 1.8 inches (4.6 cm)
Weight: 9.3 oz. (263 g) with batteries

The Coaguchek, according to QAS' website, is:

length: 5.4 inches
width: 3.07 inches
height: 1.1 inches
weight: 4.48 oz WITHOUT batteries

Not a whole lot of difference between the two. Don't know how much batteries would add to the Coaguchek. It takes 4 AAA batteries.

I haven't flown yet with my INRatio, mainly because my trips are 2-3 day ones. I did fly twice with my ProTime 3, due to steroid shots a few days before my trip and the need to check for any need to adjust my warfarin dosage.

I use Coagucheck XS and LOVE IT. I got it from Raytell. they bill your insurance company every 4th test an amount however you rent the machine so if anything goes wrong they fix it and mail the supplies to you directly. The only down side is they ask you to test weekly to ensure accuracy. for the convience it's worth it.

Thanks. Great INFO. I travel about 75% of the time and when I travel my diet is not very consistent, so I think a travelling tester would be great. Of course, I'm planning ahead at this point.
With new technology coming, maybe the tester will get smaller/lighter. Heck, maybe one day it will be an app for your iPhone.

There are three main meters on the market: Hemosense INRatio2, ITC Protime. CoaguChek meter by Roche. All 3 will do what you want. Each manufacturer website has a comparison between the 3. It would be best to choose from them:

1. http://www.hemosense.com/docs/5500285_INRatio_vs_LAB_POC_RevC_lowres.pdf This is a technical document at the bottom it explains the different methodologies used.
2. http://www.hemosense.com/patient/inratio2.shtml This is info on the product itself

3. https://www.poc.roche.com/poc/gener...n_IE&docid=article/POC_general_article_54.htm

CoaguChek XS

4. http://www.protimesystem.com/pro_benefits.html
ITC actually has a really good comparison chart.

Personally I work for Hemosense. So I am going to have a Bias in certain directions. All meters will do what you're looking for but some offer different amenities that may appeal more to you. The more popular meters CoaguChek and INRatio really have 2 very important differences.

CoaguChek has a smaller sample (10uL) and uses a code chip with each box
INRatio2 has a slightly larger sample (15 uL) and uses a strip code.

INRatio2 has onboard quality control, basically a strip self-test that tells if you if there is something interfering with the test, perhaps a faulty test strip.

CoaguChek has external controls that you apply to the test strip to tell you if the strip is good or not.

Truth be told: CoaguChek's only true advantage is for Doctor offices only that require biannual Proficiency testing. INRatio2 does not have that because the on-board controls will not allow anything but a blood sample to be applied. Other than that it's a pick or choose. I hope the material I gave will be good for you in helping to choose.

A good website to check out it www.ptinr.com

The CoaguChek "S" required external controls and has been replaced by the CoaguChek "XS" that I have been using for several years. The "XS" on-board controls don't require external controls nor anything to be applied to the strip except blood. With the old "XS" liquid controls were required only for each new batch of strips.

One of your previous posts about lab and strips makes me feel apples are being compared to oranges. Both methods are accurate in their own way--so why bother.

Agree, lance. They both have their own benefits and both are really just as accurate as the other. I did not know that about the CoaguChek XS and that they switched to on-board controls. I apologize. In the industry the Hemosense meters are generally known as the patient oriented meter and the CoaguChek a little more the physician's office lab meter strictly because of their capabilities and what the customer needs. I really appreciate the info.

Agree, lance. They both have their own benefits and both are really just as accurate as the other. I did not know that about the CoaguChek XS and that they switched to on-board controls. I apologize. In the industry the Hemosense meters are generally known as the patient oriented meter and the CoaguChek a little more the physician's office lab meter strictly because of their capabilities and what the customer needs. I really appreciate the info.

I would venture a guess that the majority of non-US people are now getting the CoaguChek XS than anything else.

I would venture a guess that the majority of non-US people are now getting the CoaguChek XS than anything else.

Yes, the Coaguchek XS is totally international with the packaging having 12 languages printed right on it.
Manuals and instructions for North America clients are in 4 languages.
English, French, Italian and German.
(made in Germany)

I'm not sure the international market share on if the CoaguChek is wider spread. But I do know the INRatio meter's are distributed in mass numbers world wide. We even have a whole new Technical Service department in Australia for the INRatio product line. The most important factor is that everyone is able to take care of their own INR without having to make appointments all the time!

We just need the distributors to make ALL the doctors out there believe that it is a worthwhile endeavor to pursue and get them passed their myth based beliefs.

Won't get the Distributor's to do it. Distributors are usually not the doctor's best friend from the doctor's eyes. You would need to get a big name doctor or group of doctor's to condone the meters at a seminar for their truly to become a big trust factor. Every study out there suggests that home monitors do a much more extreme amount of benefit than harm.

Roche no saben espanol?

Yes, of course, there is Spanish, as well as Dutch and many more.
The kit that I received in Canada has manuals in 4 languages, of which I speak 3 of them, so I have no excuse to mess up a test.;)
We are indeed incredibly lucky to be able to have such an amazing tester whether it be Coaguchek or INRatio.:)
Directly postop, they should give us a pamphlet at least, to consider home testing.

Won't get the Distributor's to do it. Distributors are usually not the doctor's best friend from the doctor's eyes. You would need to get a big name doctor or group of doctor's to condone the meters at a seminar for their truly to become a big trust factor. Every study out there suggests that home monitors do a much more extreme amount of benefit than harm.

That's the heck of it, top name docs are on board, but we can't seem to get the rest to follow suit. They are persistently stuck in the stone age days of anticoagulation.

Sad to say this but I really think there is a generation of docs that will need to retire before our next big jump in medical breakthrough technology.

Latest posts

Back