Can anyone give me green light on this protein?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warfarinking

I want to start taking protein as a meal replacement, but I just want to be sure this is okay to take. I had my aortic valve replaced with one of those metal ones so I'm now on blood thinners.

this is the protein I ordered: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002EVPW92

please, someone let me know! thanks:)

It's times like these when you hope they approve a warfarin/coumadin replacement for mechanical valves already. I've read a couple of sources yesterday that look very promising for Pradaxa to be a new option for mechanical valvers. Its testing very well it seems, and in the short term looks to be more effective with no drug or food interactions and no INR testing. Overall better at preventing strokes and same or less bleeding issues vs warfarin/coumadin. I know we've heard it all before guys but this may be "the one".

Since "whey" is derived from milk, there should not be a problem. I normally ask my pharmacist before starting a long term use of supplements like this. As Marsha and Bina said, monitor your INR.

I understand whey is just milk, but it also contains soy which can intervene with warfarin, correct? I let my INR Dr know that I was going to start taking 2 scoops of whey protein a day and she scheduled me to see her in 2 weeks instead of 3. Is 2 weeks too long? or should I have had scheduled it for a week after I start the protein?

I might be being too paranoid but I would say a week to be safe, I would test weekly for the next month after taking the whey just to get a good idea of what its doing to you. This is just my opinion.

I might be being too paranoid but I would say a week to be safe, I would test weekly for the next month after taking the whey just to get a good idea of what its doing to you. This is just my opinion.

yeah that's how I feel about it too! I might have to schedule it for monday!

Update: Met with my INR DR after 2 weeks of taking two scoops of protein a day and having around the same Vitamin K intake. My INR came out to be 2.5 (my recommended range is between 2.5 - 3.5) but usually it's between 2.8-2.9 so it went down a bit. Not sure if the protein caused it or if I took more vitamin k within those 2 weeks than I'm used to.

Latest posts

Back