broken bone and chf question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debster

I had a quick question-my mom broke a bone in her foot recently and lately she has had mild chf symptoms-not super short of breath but enough that dr upped her lasix a bit. Her foot has been swollen and my mom has been pushing it(walking on it) lately. Could the foot deal be a contributor to this problem?Her bp has been higher lately too and dr changed her bp meds too...just wondering as she has been doing pretty good before the foot fracture. thanks!:) Deb

Deb, As you know I recently broke my foot also. I don't like to stay on narcotic pain meds for very long so I switched to Aleve. Most of the nsaids cause me to retain water and Aleve is no exception. I found myself getting short of breath easier and upped my diuretics and everything cleared up. Getting around and walking is good for the circulation and that is more difficult for your mom right now too. Both pain and increased fluids increase blood pressure so I hope all improves as your mom's foot heals. Best wishes to you both.

The foot issue by itself would not cause an exacerbation in her CHF. As was already said, is she using meds like Motrin or Aleve? They cause fluid retention. Is she being careful with her low sodium diet? Is she taking her diuretic full dose or skipping so she does not have to walk to the bathroom so often? Is she still able to weigh herself every morning to monitor for fluid retention-that is the most important thing anyone with heart failure should do. Does she have a plan to increase her diuretic if her weight goes up?
OK, enough questions from me for tonight.

Thanks Betty and Joanne for your replies....She is still taking an occasional Tylenol 3 but like one a day...she is doing pretty good with low sodium but I never know positively (she lives an hour away) I do know she is religious about her Lasix and her dr has upped it...lets hope it helps:) Hey Betty-how is your foot coming along? Deb

Debster said:
Thanks Betty and Joanne for your replies....She is still taking an occasional Tylenol 3 but like one a day...she is doing pretty good with low sodium but I never know positively (she lives an hour away) I do know she is religious about her Lasix and her dr has upped it...lets hope it helps:) Hey Betty-how is your foot coming along? Deb

Deb, my foot is feeling so much better. Monday I have a follow-up appointment and a new x-ray. I expect it to be a good appointment. Thanks for asking.:)

Latest posts

Back