Brand new member needing help

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MajKathy

First I am so happy to have found you. Second I am a retired Major from the Army, 47 year old female. Never had any heart problems I was aware of until I had an Echo done for a law firm from taking redux.

I was told by the technician that I had severe MR with a singh rating of 44% and that I should see a cardio doc ASAP. Well went to my GP and he was not concerned but did send me to a cardio doc. Went to cardio doc and he was not concerned either. But while reading my ECG done there he said it looked like I had an Inferior Heart Attack. Have no idea what it is and was too scared to even ask. Had another Echo done for him there and am on a holter for 30 days.

OK I keep wondering is it all in my head. I finally received the cardio doc from the law firms report and the findings were Mild left atrial enlargement and severe mitral valve regurgitation. EF: 81.

So where do I go from here and what can I expect. Any and all replies would be so much appreciated. I have had many many symptoms of heart problems for years but they were always attributed to something else. Like all the invisible diseases that led me to a disability retirement and 100% disabled VET.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and any idea what my options will be from here. I have attached the Echo report so you know what I am talking about.

Thanks again for listening

Welcome, Kathy! Search for redux.
Your EF seems way too high, which is way too good. I thought that the top of the scale was about 75%. Mine is 69% after surgery, and was about 30% before surgery.

Thanks bunches Jim

I will do the search for Redux and appreciate you taking the time to read and answer.

Sounds like you need to have your Cardiologist explain what those symptoms MEAN. If he is not willing to talk with you, then he should at least be willing to have his nurse tell you. Often, cardiologists will have nurses field telephone requests for test results.

I agree with the others, 81% EF sounds TOO GOOD, even for a healthy heart. I believe typical healthy heart ranges are 55 to 75%.

'AL'

Kathryn,

Welcome! You have a lot of unanswered questions I am sure. Your EF looks better than great. Do you exercise rigorously? That may explain the high EF. which is the pumping capacity of your ventricle.

Severe MR and atrial engagement will ultimately require attention. That is exactly where I was when we were referred off to a cardiac surgeon. My valve was replaced almost 4 years ago. Doing just fine. It's a tough mountain to climb. Rest assured it's doable. There are many many of us here that have been though it. Happy to answer any questions you may have. But first, get recommendations from your MD.

All the best to you.

Thanks Al and Gina

I promise when I do get to see my Cardio doc after this 30 day holter monitor I will have a list of questions and ask them. I will also take my girlfriend to help me remember what he says.

The only thing I can figure out is that the EF reading is not 81 but sure looks like 81. The tech said 44% leakage on the Singh scale.

I do not exercise at all because of chronic fatique and exhaustion. I get out of breath walking around my living room and my heart races all the time.

My arms, hand and thumbs go numb after a night's sleep. And my left arm hurts and aches like arthiritis which I also have.

So I am a mess but appreciate so much somewhere to get help.

You are all a wonderful bunch of people. I can tell from reading back on all your great posts.

Have a great day and any suggestions would be appreciated. I am wondering if I should call the Lawfirm and ask if that 81 is a mistake or if I am reading it wrong.

?s

?s

You may want to ask if this warents a cath?
Medtronic of Borg

Thanks I am making a list of questions?

What type of cath are you talking about?

Hi Kathy

Cath = Cardiac Catheterization, where they feed a catheter into your heart and inject dye to image the valves and/or coronary arteries. Often this is done just prior to surgery.

I'm not a doctor, so the standard disclaimer should apply :) . Your symptoms appear to go right along with the severe mitral insufficiency (leakage) noted in the report, but their severity, the racing heart and numbness that you mention would alarm me. There is some left ventricular enlargement, a sign that the heart is working too hard. I'd bet the 81% EF is a mistake, but I could be wrong.

If it were me, I might think of getting a second opinion soon if you don't get a satisfactory explanation of what these readings actually mean for you.

Last edited:
Ejection Fraction

Ejection Fraction

Hi MajKathy, I took a snippet from my own Echocardiography and Doppler report. This is how it's graded on mine.

I'm not exactly sure what it all means, but this is just what mine says.

By the way, the handwriting on your report looks like it was done with the persons left foot. :)

That ef sure looks like 81 but I guess in some other point of view it might look like 51. The 8 does not look quite like the 8 in 1.98 but the 8 does not look like the 5 in 65".

Just my 2 bits. Regardless the symptoms do not sound good. Get clarification from one of the docs or get a second opinion.

Good luck.

Bill

Thanks so much Johnny, Bunny and Bill, I wear this holter until the 2 of Feb and then have my next Cardio Doc appt. I so much appreciate your kindness in this. I had a very clear dream that the Dr told me I need Mitral Valve surgery. So I will not be too surprised if it happens. Just coming here and talking helps me so much.

I guess because of my Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue and Myofacial syndrome and all those invisible things I feel like a hypochrodriac. I don't want to make a big deal of this but I do want to stay informed.

Has anyone ever heard of an Inferior Heart Attack?

BTW I will make sure that I get the answers to my questions on my next visit.

EF??

Looks like a 51 to me also. I think the person who wrote it just forgot to pick up the pen at the end of the 5 when starting the one. But it's really sloppy handwriting, so it's hard to tell. If people in medicine only knew how hard it is to interpret sloppy handwriting, faded copies, unclear faxes. Things get really screwed up that way.

I had to pick up a packet of reports for Joe's doctor in Albany, and honestly, you should have seem some of the stuff from the lab, small print, all black and splotchy. I couldn't read half of it, so how can the doctors? If they have to call around for verification all the time, what a waste.

We certainly live in an imperfect world!

You've got to get some clarification. Severe mitral regurg. can get pretty ugly. Joe's been through it a couple of times. He's had some faints in the past from it. So check things out ASAP.

By the way welcome, didn't mean to go off on a tangent. This is a site you will love.

Nancy

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

would an EF of 51% be considered severe?

I feel like I'm going to have to go to medical school just to understand all of this. :p

I agree that your ejection fraction seems a bit high. Mine is 69%
I have moderate to severe regurgitation of the mitral valve. My echo is similar to yours I have a dialated left atrium, I'm still only on meds and see my cardiogist every 6 months. Actually seeing him tomorrow. Don't know if I will get an echo tomorrow. He said every 9 months might be sufficient for a echo cardiogram. I was told that when the LVIDs reading which is the left ventricle empty is 4.5 that would be an indication for surgery.

Thanks

Thanks

everyone,

I have read so much stuff from here and there the last few days that my mind is mush and I am no smarter LOL.

Oh well will wait for my appt.

I do so so so much look forward to your posts though.

Thanks again

major Kathy

I know what you mean about mind-boggling. There is so much to know and you want to get all you can. Like trying to break a habit, you have to take one step at a time. Keep dropping back and stay in touch, read and ask, soon the muddy waters will appear a little clearer. There are a lot of people here who care and give support.
That fibromyalgia is a terrible added burden, My wife had a bout with that.
I, for one, am not comfortable with your symptoms as far as the Drs. response. I hope they are gathering all the info they can and will then give you a complete and truthful analysis of your situation so that you can deal with it.
please keep in touch with this site.

ram

ram

Thanks so much, I feel so weird. It is like I am obsessed with this heart thing and have been reading and researching and reading some more. I have read that having an EF of 81% is abnormal but there is so many different factors in the EF versus rest of the data.

I can not stop worrying but have always been a worrier also. I am even thinking about sending my question to Answersoft through the Cleaveland Hopsital Web line. They charge 14.95 but my problem is I don't even know what to ask.

Reading Alicia's horrible time just makes me more scared and I have been in a terrible depression for years. I can not even get myself to leave the house. The internet is my only social life and I do everything over the internet. I can not even stand calling my Dr to ask questions.

Sorry I just am so so confused.

major kathy

please do not be scared. these surgeries are done so oftern that they are considered routine. alicia had a difficult time in the hospital but before you know it she will be doing much better.

i had my surgery on 12/26/02 and i feel great. i had a minimal invasive surgery replacing my aorta valve with a tissue. i admit that the first 3 days in the hospital were not good. i was drugged up and don't remember much. all i remember was being in alot of pain but not from my heart or chest. the pain was from my shoulders and arms. this was due to the way they postion your body for surgery. i am 3 weeks post op today and doing very very good. granted i had the minimal invasive which helps. everyone reacts different to their surgery. just to give you an idea of how my recovery is going: i was in the hospital for 5 days, started walking the day after i got home ( i am up to 4 miles a day now) , started driving 5 days after i came home, started working part time at home this week and i am down to 3 meds plus my coumdin. i can pcik up my daughter ( 35 lbs) pretty easily but i have a hard time pouring water into my glass while i am sitting down ( shoulders are still sore ).

please stay strong and live your life to the fulliest. don't live your life around your condition. when it is time for surgery then you can change your lifestyle. do not be scared. the surgery is not that bad. you won't feel a thing. the worst part is waiting for the surgery. when they tell you it is time for surgery , don't delay it. it is better to do the surgery sooner rather than later.

good luck

richie rich:)

thanks bunches richie rich

thanks bunches richie rich

I really do appreciate reading that. I will just be glad when they tell me something for sure. You sound like you are doing fabulous. 4 miles a day is amazing, even when I was active duty military I did not go that far. Keep up the great work and I am so lucky to have found all of you.

This is truly a blessing in disguise having all you here.

I really need to start taking better care of myself so think this is a blessing in disguise. I am going to quit smoking and start living again. After all I have 1 granddaughter that is 2 and 1/2 and a new grandson due 28 Mar 03 so I need to be well.

(((((((((((((((everyone))))))))))))))))) these are hugs LOL

Back