Bracelet or necklace? Can't seem to keep either?????

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetmarie

I'm a male and cannot keep a bracelet or necklace from breaking and/or losing them. Anybody out there have the same problem? They either get caught in my clothes or break apart while I'm sleeping. I'm now considering getting a small "warfarin" or "coumadin" tatoo done on the inside of my wrist.
Andre

Why wear them while sleeping? Unless you live alone, the others in your household know of your medications, etc., don't they?

I wear a MedicAlert pendant (necklace) any time I'm up and around, but I take it off for sleeping. I've never had any problems with it breaking or losing it.

If you aren't using the MedicAlert brand, take a look at their on-line catalog. They may have some styles that look stronger than the one you have.

I'm getting a medical ID card, the size of a credit card, which has printed on it all my health conditions and medications, plus next of kin contact and GP's contact details. I will also get a key fob to put on my key ring which says I have a card on me which explains my medical conditions. I also already have a card from Edwards Lifesciences which states the make and type of aortic valve replacement that I have. Both those cards will go together for someone to find if I happen to be unconscious. The company that makes the card keep all the details in case I lose the card and need a replacement. I prefer a card as when I wear jewellery I don't want one of those medical tags attached.

I have two bracelets from Medic Alert. One is a titanium stretch band, very stylish, and I wear it whenever I leave the house. The other is a cheaper, velcro type band, that I wear when doing really messy work around the house. Never had any problems with either of them and I'm not self-conscious about people seeing them.

~Marc

I've probably gone through about 3-4 Medic Alert bracelets in the past 15 years. The first few were inexpensive metal versions. The one I have now is a more expensive stainless steel model and it seems to have held up pretty well.
When I'm out running or riding my bike I also wear a RoadID bracelet with a bright red velcro strap with the same basic medical info on it.
Mark

I have a stainless steel bracelet that I ordered from Lauren's Hope (they have coupon codes on line). I wear it 24/7 - in the shower, swimming, running, etc. it still looks new. it is stylish enough to wear to work as well. I looked at many companies, but chose this one because the bracelets have hooks on both sides - you can order one bracelet with a tag, and then order fancier "straps" or "chains" - pearl, beads, etc - and use the same tag. Of course, I never ordered a second chain!

I have had a dog tag necklace for 7 mo. no probs sleep with it, shower with it, never take it off. Bought it from Walmart online for $48.00. Had a stainless steel bracelet and lost it at the V.A. Hospital Dallas, Tx. when I was in for subdural hematoma. That was a 10 day ICU dilaudid haze, can't remember much. :) So it does happen, like sunglasses.

I found a set of thin metal bands (one gold tone, one silver tone) with the medic alert symbol and the word "warfarin" on it that wraps around a metallic watchband. It blends in enough that most people don't notice it, but is easy enough to see that someone looking for it will definitely see it. I think it cost me about $8 including shipping.

Just began wondering about this topic myself. I have the card in my wallet from ONx but I often leave my wallet behind if I'm out doing active things. Found a really nice option offered from endevr.com If I had one I'd like the silicone type that I could just put on and completely forget about whether I'm sleeping, showering, working, swimming, whatever. Something completely comfortable that I could just forget I'm wearing...

But then I began to think... If I'm in any type of accident, any medical professional is going to listen to your heartbeat with a stethoscope, well at that point it will be obvious I have a mechanical valve, so unless they're a complete moron, they'll know that means I'm on Coumadin. So now I'm wondering if a medic alert bracelet of any kind is even necessary. Especially considering if any medical personnel actually is a moron, they won't know what to do with the information that I'm on Coumadin anyway.

almost_hectic;n859239 said:
JBut then I began to think... If I'm in any type of accident, any medical professional is going to listen to your heartbeat with a stethoscope, well at that point it will be obvious I have a mechanical valve, so unless they're a complete moron, they'll know that means I'm on Coumadin. So now I'm wondering if a medic alert bracelet of any kind is even necessary. Especially considering if any medical personnel actually is a moron, they won't know what to do with the information that I'm on Coumadin anyway.
Any medical professional will hear your mechanical valve even without a stethoscope - it's something they purposefully listen for if they see a sternal incision (I know from the medical exam I was a pateint in last week). A doctor, any doctor, will know that you are on coumadin once they've heard the mech valve. A complete moron would not be a doctor LOL…..ummm well I should hope they would have failed their exams !

I have in my purse (wallet) a plastic card with all my medical information on as well as an Edwards Lifesciences card stating the name, model and serial number of my tissue valve. I also have a fob on my keyring which states that I carry a medical alert card. I always have it on me just in case as I have other conditions and medications (not warfarin though). Also have my blood group on it, name of GP and NHS number (being a Brit).

This sternal scar story reminds me of something I can't resist sharing. A friend of mine was born with 4 kidneys. They removed one at some point for some reason so she had a scar there. Later, she was in a car accident and she thought the medical staff seemed unduly alarmed about her. They explained they were worried because she only had one kidney! (Based on their interpretation of the scar). She got to say no, actually I still have three. : )

Paleogirl;n859261 said:
Any medical professional will hear your mechanical valve even without a stethoscope - it's something they purposefully listen for if they see a sternal incision (I know from the medical exam I was a pateint in last week). A doctor, any doctor, will know that you are on coumadin once they've heard the mech valve. A complete moron would not be a doctor LOL…..ummm well I should hope they would have failed their exams.

Well as for the morons, I wasn't specifically thinking of doctors, although they are not exempt. I was thinking of any sort of EMT, paramedic, or nurse... Who might administer emergency medical attention prior to being seen by a doctor...

Latest posts

Back