Book recommendations

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbeard

Hello,

Someone along the line here mentioned Robby Benson's book, "I'm Not Dead Yet", and Dick Cheney's book, "Heart". I highly recommend both of these reads. Amazing and informative , both books are.

Hello,

Someone along the line here mentioned Robby Benson's book, "I'm Not Dead Yet", and Dick Cheney's book, "Heart". I highly recommend both of these reads. Amazing and informative , both books are.

I read Cheney's book and found that my own heart surgeon of nine years ago performed the heart transplant on the Veep at the same hospital where my surgery occurred.

The book, co-authored by Cheney's cardiologist, has a lot of good info about the vast progress of cardiac care over the years.

Haven't read the Robby Benson book yet -- will take a look.

Duffey,

Thank you Duffey. I couldn't remember who it was; I had to update my operating system to upload the book to my iPad. It was worth it. I had to kind of take it in doses, as I had just gotten my own diagnosis at 58 yrs old, of my BAV and aortic aneurysm (4.2).

I just finished reading "Mariana" by Susanah Kearsley. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
And I 'll check out the Bobby Benson book on my eReader. Thanks for the tip.

Searching the internet the book The Patient's Guide to Heart Valve Surgery by Adam Pick for about $24 keeps popping up. I've been going to ask if anyone has read this book and is it worth the money. I don't see any recent posts on this thread but I'll try posting the question. This is my first post.

Hi Justincwp and welcome. You will find a host of very good info in the threads of this forum. Adam Pick was a regular poster on this forum for a number of years.....and many of the "old timers" feel that he used a lot of VR.org info in his book. I've never read it, but others have rated it informative.

Hi Justincwp - Adam Pick has a website with blog: http://www.heart-valve-surgery.com and he is pretty good at writing if you email him ! I haven't read his book.

The best book I read on open heart surgery is 'Coping with heart surgery and bypassing depression' by Carol Cohan: http://www.amazon.com/Coping-Heart-...g+with+heart+surgery+and+bypassing+depression The book goes into heart surgery in a lot of detail giving advice on the kind of things to expect and what to ask about of your cardiac team, also a lot of what you can do to help yourself after surgery and how your nearest and dearest can help and be helped too ! I read it both before surgery and afterwards. Unfortunatley it looks like it must be out of print because new copies are really expensive, well worth getting a used copy imho.

Hi Justin and welcome aboard

...I've been going to ask if anyone has read this book and is it worth the money. I don't see any recent posts on this thread but I'll try posting the question. This is my first post.

I'm an engineering sort of guy and so my view is if you can get the same information from a variety of sources that's the best. The book is probably a good read, but as Dick mentions, discussions here are also good. Browsing can be a bit tedious (although informative for answering questions maybe not on the tip of your tongue) so don't be afraid to ask direct questions.

Its a diverse group here, which means its more likely you'll get a response which sits well with your circumstances.

:)

I bought and read 'The Patient's Guide to Heart Valve Surgery' by Adam Pick, and 'Coping with Heart Surgery and Bypassing Depression' by Carol Cohan. They were both very informative and helpful. I shared them with my family, who also learned a lot from the books. I highly recommend either or both of them to ANYONE facing heart surgery of themselves or a loved one.

I have a Heart Valve Journal. I used it primarily for disseminating information to my family and friends through the surgery and recovery process. I invited everyone on my email list, my facebook list, my work contacts - anyone who might possibly be interested. My husband was able to post updates while I was out. There is a lot of support from previous and future heart patients on that site, in addition to feedback from friends/family/coworkers. They love me and just want me to get better!

I have not shared this site with anyone, not even my husband. This allows me the freedom to post ANY question without worrying what my family/friends/coworkers will think. It's nice! I don't have to worry about my entire family knowing my deepest darkest fears. I don't have to worry about my friends knowing how I'm dealing with my monthly cycles post-surgery. I don't have to worry about my squeamish coworkers knowing that the drainage tubes make a sluuuurrrrrrppppshshshs sound when they're removed. You guys love me, and want the gory details, and want me to get better.

Read the books. They help quell the anxiety and fear.

Both books are good but I liked the book from Carol Cohan the most. I found both books through my library. With the book from Adam I had the library do a inter library search and they found the book at some other library. One book in the pass that I have read came from the Emory Medical Library.

I've read several of the books mentioned. I also found this one to be very informative and interesting.

Healing Hearts by Kathy Magliato M.D.

-MikeK

I've read several of the books mentioned. I also found this one to be very informative and interesting.

Healing Hearts by Kathy Magliato M.D.

-MikeK

The book posts were interesting. On one level time is counting down and I'm not sure I have time to order and read. On the second level I've pretty much survived without a lot of information. I'm finding I'm happier after talking to the surgeon and making a selection with the less I know. Without the surgery I'll die so I haven't much I can change? I don't think.. At this point I'm determined to survive and take what ever comes. I'm hoping to go home in five to seven days to recover. Most of my concerns have been about getting to the bathroom on my own. (I'll probably adapt to what ever but it won't be easy) I got here by finding a murmur at a umbillical hernia procedure. That was from weight lifting. (seniior's gym)I was in the hospital half a day and really freaked at women handling my junk (shaving and checking). Here's what I'd like most of all. Stories of good results. Finding I can get to the bathroom on my own before long. My last nurse called me Mr. Modest. Time is closing in but for the most part I've been putting all this out of my mind. Is there any critical info I should be looking at. (or just take it as it comes?)

Justincwp;n844746 said:
Here's what I'd like most of all. Stories of good results. Finding I can get to the bathroom on my own before long.

Welcome, don't know much about you from your profile but most who have this surgery do very well afterwards....I know I did. I can't remember anything about the bathroom routine, so I guess it wasn't a problem. I have a couple of neighbors, in their 70's, who have recently had valves replaced and they seem to be doing well. Like you say, "just take it as it comes" and I think you will be OK.

Justincwp;n844746 said:
The book posts were interesting. On one level time is counting down and I'm not sure I have time to order and read. On the second level I've pretty much survived without a lot of information. I'm finding I'm happier after talking to the surgeon and making a selection with the less I know. Without the surgery I'll die so I haven't much I can change? I don't think.. At this point I'm determined to survive and take what ever comes. I'm hoping to go home in five to seven days to recover. Most of my concerns have been about getting to the bathroom on my own.
Hi Justin, we would all die without this surgery so none of us could change things in the final analysis. The books are helpful as they explain a lot and give a lot of info on what to do afterwards to get fit, that type of thing. Don't worry about not being able to get to the bathroom after surgery - you will, and they won't let you home if you can't do the bathroom or stairs for example.

You ask
Is there any critical info I should be looking at. (or just take it as it comes?
Yes. Do you have someone at home to help when you are discharged ? That's an important thing - they might say you can go home in five to seven days but no way can you manage completely on your own after only five to seven days. That length of time is given because they keep hospital stays very short these days, not because people get better quicker. Arrange things with your GP in advance if necessary before you go in for surgery.

I should do something about the profile. Justin is my cat (cwp: I have a cats with paralysis group. I'm Don, 69 West Michigan. I just figured out how to reply. (it was below the screen)
I have a wife and my bed partner cats. Thanks for the replies. (we were a cat rescue at one time. ended up with the rejects no one wanted)

Latest posts

Back