Blood pressure swings?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delcar

My resting blood pressure changes from 150/98 to 106/60 in a matter of 3 to 4 hrs. Is this normal? Heart rate will be 70. I'll just be relaxing in my chair. I'm taking my meds like I'm suppose to.

Your high numbers are certainly high and if this is consistent at rest this should be brought up to your cardio. That being said...

From my experience this CAN be normal. Blood pressure is different, different times of day, it's usually recommended to take your blood pressure twice a day at the same time everyday and do that for at least a week if not a month and chart your average that way. Of course taking your blood pressure each time when your rested and not under any kind of stress.

If your feeling symptoms like dizziness, chest pain, SOB, fainting things like this then of course call the doctor ASAP. As stated before your blood pressure can be all over the place throughout the day even if your just sitting all day and especially if your doing different actives. Also blood pressure machines can be off a bit between readings, it's not an exact science just a good estimate. This doesn't seem like major concern unless your experiencing symptoms but of course it doesn't hurt to bring it up to the cardio next time you see em'.

It is also possible that your BP is highly sensative to physical activity. I'm currently in cardiac rehab and they watch us carefully. Often at rest, before class begins, my BP may be around 110/70. Then after 15 minutes of vigorous activity (pushing the limits on a treadmill or exercise bike), it will rise - often to the 150/100 range. Then within a couple of minutes after cool-down, it returns to the 100-110/65-70 range.

If your BP goes up to the 150's and stays there for any length of time, I definitely would check it out with your cardio.

Back