Bleeding gums

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiewintle

Hi all

I went to bed last night and work up a short time later with a horrible slimy taste in my mouth, went to the bathroom and noticed I was bleeding from my gums on the front top teeth. Managed to stop the bleeding, however when I got up this morning I had some clotted blood round my front teeth and it started bleeding again for a short while.

I have a metal heart valve and am on warfarin. When I went for my INR test 2 weeks ago my INR was 4.9 (should be between 3 and 4, ideally 3.5), went last friday and it had gone down to 3.9. Just wondering if they are both connected. Its the first time this has happened and was a tad freaked out. Anyone else had a problem with bleeding gums just starting to bleed on their own without brushing teeth?

Looking forward to your responses

It seems strange that you didn't have your inr retested for two weeks when it was at 4.9 ? Also your range seems quite high anyway, but that may be for a reason, mine's 2.3 - 3.1.
Gums bleeding after a fairly high inr reading would sound like a very good reason to go get another test tomorrow. Maybe you've been eating or drinking something you dont normally take or even an excess of something you do normally take or even using a new cream or medication or something ? I agree with Ross.....

I had a INR test done on the 14th May and it was 4.9, the next one was the following Friday 21st May and it had gone down to 3.9, going back this Friday 28th May. I did have a booster of Tetanus, Diptheria and Polio and the Hep A Jab on the 18th May, maybe its the jabs. Only bled once on my gums, just hope I get a good result this week when I go as going away on a coach tour round Europe. My doctor wanted mke to have the jabs so I am protected whilst away and the warfarin clinic know about this.

If your bleeding for no reason, I'm betting your INR is sky high. It's best to get checked as soon as possible.

Latest posts

Back