bleeding edge on pacemakers

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pellicle

Professional Dingbat, Guru and Merkintologist
Hi

http://www.newscientist.com/article...emaker-keeps-a-beat-without-the-hardware.html

Marbán and his colleagues wondered if they might be able to recruit other heart cells to a pacemaker role. The team turned to a gene called TBX18, which is normally switched on only during embryonic development to aid the formation of the heart's pacemaker cells.

The group injected this gene into the hearts of adult pigs with heart block. The researchers only targeted a small region of cells, close to the site of the block. Within 48 hours, Marbán's team found that those cells had become pacemaker cells, and were delivering electrical signals to the rest of the heart. The treated pigs were able to exercise normally, and their heart rate appropriately matched their activity level for the two weeks they were monitored following the therapy.

Marbán thinks the effects could be permanent. Inserting the gene mimics the formation of the pacemaker cells during early development, so once the cells are converted it is unlikely that they would revert back. "Everything we know about the action would have us believe that this TBX18 can function as a light switch," he says. "The effects of the gene remain forever."

I wonder what implications this may have for those of us whose cardiac nerves were damaged during valve replacement. Thanks for the reference, pellicle.

I doubt that this will help me before I need a new battery (about another 3 years) but it may mean a lot more to future patients.

Hi

I wonder what implications this may have for those of us whose cardiac nerves were damaged during valve replacement..

good question .. I have no idea. Hell I'm not even sure I understand what "heart block" means.

My view is that all the new developments are too late to help me, but its always nice to window shop :)

Latest posts

Back