Bizarre way to lose weight!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bridgette

I saw this on the NZ Herald website. It serves as a warning to those who drink excessive amounts of caffeinated drinks....

Woman's extreme Red Bull diet

Last updated 10:37 24/05/2009

A 23-year-old Auckland mother who lost 45kg in eight months by drinking nothing but energy drink Red Bull says she has ongoing health problems because of the diet.

Brooke Robertson told the Herald on Sunday she shrank from 105kg to 60kg drinking nothing but 10 to 14 cans a day, often accompanying them with nothing more than a handful of dry Honey Puffs.

Ms Robertson said she put on weight while carrying son Keir, now four, but did not make a conscious decision to go on a Red Bull diet.

"I just started drinking it. I wasn't sleeping, I wasn't eating ? I was exhausted," she said.

"I just continued to drink it because it's an appetite suppressant and I noticed I was losing weight so stuck with it."

Ms Robertson said she managed to keep her addiction secret from family and friends, and did not recover from it until after a two-week stay in hospital following a minor heart attack.

"I managed to wean myself off it by being in hospital for that long but I had severe withdrawals ? sweating, nausea, shaking. It was an addiction. The doctors stated that."

Ms Robertson now maintains her figure through exercise and a Weight Watchers diet, but said she still suffers the effects of the extreme diet.

She said she has a heart murmur, gets severe pain and cramping in her stomach and bowel, and suffers anxiety attacks.

A Red Bull spokesman said there was "scientific evidence that caffeine is not addictive".

The drink was available in 148 countries "because health authorities across the world have concluded that Red Bull is safe to consume", he said.

The drink is banned in Norway, Denmark and Uruguay because of health fears.

- NZPA

A Red Bull spokesman said there was "scientific evidence that caffeine is not addictive".

The drink is banned in Norway, Denmark and Uruguay because of health fears.

- NZPA

Yeap, Scientific evidence overules common friggin sense. People wonder why I hate studies and statistics. Need I say more?

the cost

the cost

not only is her diet decision incredibly dumb, but the cost would have been approx $52.00 per day or $18900 per annum!

what was her husband up to? now if my wife suddenly stopped eating and went from 105 kgs to 60 kgs in 8 months i would start asking a lot of questions.

“caffeine is not addictive”? I DON’T THINK SO! The first thing I did when I heard that I was in for surgery was to quickly cut out caffeine – There is nothing like waking up from surgery (this was thyroid 30+ years ago) with a headache that would not go away even with the pain meds that they were giving me post op. I have also gone cold turkey in the past and suffered for 3 days, so this time I did cut back over about 3 weeks.

The doctor has emphasized that caffeine is not my friend so I stay away for the most part.
Getting off of caffeine I think is one of the most beneficial things you can do for yourself prior to surgery.

I tried to go cold turkey when I was preggo with Chris. I was so miserable! The OB said I had to have 1 soda/coffee/whatever per day because the withdrawal was worse for the baby than the caffeine! Not addictive? I beg to differ!

Last edited:
!0 - 14 cans a day then to nothing? Well of course she would be sick, try eating nothing but candy for two weeks & then switch to no candy at all. Isn't Red Bull loaded with sugar also? So maybe she was suffering from two withdrawals? Some people are just not right.

Red Bull pulled in Germany after cocaine test

Authorities say the drug level was too low to pose a health risk
updated 2:39 p.m. ET, Mon., May 25, 2009

BERLIN - Six German states have told retailers to stop selling Red Bull Cola energy drinks after a test found a trace amount of cocaine.
The bans started Friday after a sample test conducted by authorities in North Rhine-Westphalia state found 0.4 micrograms per liter in the drink.
Five other states also banned it from shops amid concerns over possible narcotics law violations.
Germany's Federal Institute for Risk Assessment said Monday that the cocaine level was too low to pose a health risk. It planned to produce a more detailed report Wednesday.
Red Bull said its cola is "harmless and marketable in both the U.S. and Europe." It said similar coca leaf extracts are used worldwide as flavoring, and a test it commissioned itself found no cocaine traces.

hasnthadcoffee.jpg

Back