Bicuspid aortic valve and coronary anomalies ?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CATDOG

I'm just wondering what % of us BAVers also has some kind of coronary anomaly?

I had an angiogram last week, totally not expecting them to find anything wrong aside from the valve, since my cholesterol levels are pretty good. Afterwards they told me that my coronary arteries were clear as expected, but aren't WHERE they expected them to be. I guess it took a while to hunt them down. I'm hoping to get a written report since I was still too much under anesthesia to retain any more than that. I also don't know yet if this news will alter the surgeon's plans for the AVR.
I did see reports online where they did actually move the variant coronary artery for a certain kind of anomaly. I don't yet know if they would want to for all or most types of anomalies, or if some are really still doing the job fine and they don't need to fix what ain't broke.

I have no coronary anomalies. Interestingly enough, though, my 79 year old mother has an "anomalous" aorta (it's in a different spot from the rest of us) but she does not have a BAV and never had an aneurysm. We just found out several years ago about her aorta. As the cardiologist told her, it served her well all of her life and it was not causing any problems of any type. In fact, she just competed in a Senior Olympics contest and won 2nd place for the mile walk/run for her age group. So, for her, at least, it is considered a variation from normal but as you say, it ain't broke so it ain't gettin fixed.
I agree - it does make one wonder if there is a connection between BAV and coronary anomalies, doesn't it?

Back