Beta blockers, Heart Rate Monitors and exercise

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChicagoMammy

Hi all

I've been on Metoprolol for 5 years. My dose was increased to 150mg/day in February. I have recently begun exercising. I bought a HRM both to keep an eye that I kept under/around my recommended 120 bmp and to see how many calories I was burning. I am burning a minuscule amount. I know my heart is beating slower than most and so that's why the HRM readings are so low, but I believe I am putting as much energy into it (if not more).

Do people on beta blockers burn less calories than those not on them because our heart rates stay lower or are we really working as hard and burning as much?

thanks

There are a few other things to consider.

Yes, your heart rate being slower, also slows your metabolism, thus burning fewer calories.
That being said, exercise does both reduces fat and builds muscle. Muscle burns more calories than fat.
So, as you tone and build muscle, those muscles will burn more calories as they maintain themselves.
Also, muscle weighs more than fat. So don't be too concerned about your weight as you get into your exercise program.
Your results are best measured my the amount of change in your body measurments.

I have been on beta blockers for years, 100mg/day. I workout, toned up, lost weight, and built muscle mass.

Here is a post that was provided by a nurse a while back regarding exercise and beta blockers.
Although it is addressing beta blockers and stress tests, I think this will be helpful information to you.

Topic: Heart Disease: Laurie Anderson, RN, BSN >> Discussion: Exercise with
low pulse from medication (by Arlyp (WebMD))
Re: Exercise with low pulse from medication
by ljandie91 (WebMD), 8/18/00 10:09 PM
Hello,
Your heart is getting an adequate workout as long as you raise it 20-30 beats
per minute over your resting levels. You can't calculate a target heart rate
based on the traditional method of subtacting your age from 220 and
multiplying it by 70-85%, because of the beta-blocker.
In the cardiac rehab setting we usually use 70-85% of the highest heart rate
achieved on the pre-exercise stress test, if the medication(s), especially
beta-blockers, were taken before the test. If the medication(s) were held,
the highest heart rate achieved must be further adjusted for these meds;
typically a range of 10-20% more depending on the size and frequency of the
beta-blocker dose and the dose(s) of other medications being taken that may
also be lowering the heart rate. Sometimes this method of calculation is
ineffective; in this case we often use the simple formula of resting heart
rate plus 20 to 30 beats per minute. This range is decided upon based on
whether or not the person is still ischemic (blockages that are preventing
adequate blood flow to the heart), the amount of heart muscle damage from the
heart attack, the ejection fraction and other individual considerations.
In regard to your question about time of day to exercise, in my opinion you
are actually better off to exercise earlier in the day, when your
beta-blocker is having the most efffect on your heart rate. I can't evaluate
this in relation to your condition, because I don't know what the situation
is with your heart's blood flow. In general the effect of the beta-blocker is
to improve blood flow to the heart muscle, so it is better protected from the
potential effects of decreased blood flow and thus you are less likely to
have angina. Hope this is clear and helpful; I will watch for additional
posts from you should you have another question.
Sincerly, Laurie Anderson, RN, BSN

Ouch, Rob - that would kill most of my exercise tolerance! If I use the formula of resting heart rate plus 20-30 BPM, that would allow me all of 80 to 90 BPM. Pre-op I was often running in the mid 150's.

At present my pacemaker is set for a range of 60-130 BPM. I was worried that this would not allow me to run, but I can't tell - the beta blocker keeps my max heart rate down in the 120's. I'm planning on discussing it with my cardio to see how he feels about reducing the beta blocker dosage and adding another type of drug if I still need it for controlling blood pressure.

Hi Steve,

I hear ya. It really is crazy for me. I could be running and my pulse will not go over 105, usually it would stay around 98.
At least that was before my most recent surgery. I was still taking a 100 mg beta blocker prior to that surgery.

Rob

Interesting. Never thought about the calories.

That +20 to +30 target doesn't seem right to me either. I'm back to pre-surgery workout levels, and just have been maintaining the difference. In other words, I know the same amount of exercise now puts my heart rate about 10-15 bpm lower than before my Metoprolol 25 daily. So, I just aim for that new lower target which is usually around 125 for me.

Everything has been feeling good for me, perfectly normal, but think I'll inquire a little more next cardio appt just to be sure, since I have a pacemaker to consider as well. I still don't quite grasp exactly what the pacemaker does at the high end.

Chicago Mammy -

My home town by the way...here's my 2 cents on your question: I'm not sure what kid of exercising you're doing or how you're calculating how many calories you're burning, but if you're relying on a reading provided by your HRM, don't. Those are notoriously inaccurate, even before you throw the beta blocker factor into the mix. I'm also not a person who likes to calculate things or spend a lot of time analyzing data, so if you are one of these types, you won't like my recommendation. I do use a HRM for my cycling workouts that provides all kinds of data, including HR, speed, elevation, grade, cadence, pace, avg speed, total ascent (in feet), etc, etc, and it gives me a calories burned number which I ignore. What we do know is that if you're expending more energy, you are burning more calories, regardless of what any formula tells you or what your HRM says. I think that has to do with physics. If you work harder, based on your perceived effort, you will burn more calories, but the added benefit to pushing yourself beyond your usual parameters is you will condition your lungs, heart/vascular system and muscles to do more. You'll create a better calorie burning engine AND you'll reap the benefits of being able to perform at increasingly higher levels, which you'll notice in improved exercise tolerance, making exercise more interesting, enjoyable, exciting, motivating and it will make little things like walking up the stairs seem easier. Anyway, my bottom line advice is, dont' worry about how many calories you're burning, but concentrate on an exercise regime that mixes up in a systematic way, Cardio - some longer lower intensity days with some shorter higher intensity days (with time for recovery in between higher intensity bursts - intervals) on other days and also some resistance training in which there's very little down time and some core work that strengthens your abs, back, butt and improves your flexibility. If exercise is new to you and a personal trainer is an option, find a good one and at least do 10 sessions or so with his/her guidance to get you off to a good start. If you're working hard and eating smaller meals throughout the day as opposed to 2 -3 larger meals and not eating a lot of sugar and fat, you will lose weight and be leading a very healthy lifestyle.

Great responses guys. My resting heart rate is low to mid 40s. I get it up to around 100 during cardio. Sometimes as high as 120s when I started a few weeks ago, but I'm really killing myself at that stage. My highest on a recent stress echo was around 140 and I nearly keeled over and died (well it felt like that). The 70-85% suggested would be 99-119 bpm which seems more in line with what I can achieve and where my cardiologist wants me to be.

Jeff - I agree with most of what you've said. In the past at a lower dose of metoprolol I seemed to have no issues getting into shape. I was just walking a lot and eating healthily. Now I am eating healthily and working out. I track my calories because it's so easy for me to over/under estimate food and exercise calories that I could easily go over. If I really am only burning 150 calories for a tough hour-long workout I'd prefer to know so that I can adjust my intake accordingly. I've found it very easy to go over even when eating healthily and only when hungry.

At this point it is more about healthy lifestyle than a number on the scale. But I would like to know I'm heading in the right direction.

thanks for all the responses!

Just my 2 cents here....make sure you "need" to be on BB's. There are good reasons to need them, but say, for blood pressure regulation, there are other drugs that work just as well that allow a higher HR.

Hey, ChicMam-
I'm struggling, too. I'm on 2 BB and 1 Calcium Channel Blocker. Resting heart rate is typically in the 60s. Yours is even lower!
Anyway, I've gained 10 lbs since surgery. I've been tracking my food and really am eating less than before surgery just to maintain my weight. I want to lose, so it is disappointing 'cause I really like to eat.
I discussed it with the cardiologist and he confirmed that it is "his fault" because the drugs are keeping my heart rate low-- making it harder to burn calories.
I'm looking at getting some kind of treadmill/bike for my living room so I have no more excuses about getting in dailly exercise.

They had me on a beta blocker for about 6 months. The cadence on my bike computer was usually higher than my heart rate. It was very weird. If you can get off them eventually, things will return to normal. Although it might be a "new" normal.

I am a 19 year old college athlete who had to get my mv repaired followed by a daily dose of a beta blocker coreg. It certainly has a noticble effect on my heart rate as well as my overall energy levels. Nonetheless I have continued to push through this barrier and I am seeing my stamania reach new levels. I think if your keep working at it and watch ur diet as best you can you will be fine. Although I will admit I cannot wait to get off these beta blockers there just to strong for me.

Back