Beta Blocker Side Effects

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MSG Morrissey

I just went from Toprol XL 50 mg 1 per day to Metoprolol Tartrate 50 mg every 12 hours. Is this the same medication? Has anyone noted side effects? during the transition?
I have to switch because I can get the twice a day Rx through the VA. I feel short of breath a bit and maybe some discomfort in my chest. I wonder if it's anxiety or the Rx change.

I think the Metoprolol Tartrate 50mg is different than Toprol XL. Toprol XL is a non-generic, extended release version of Metoprolol. It is designed to gradually be released into your system. As far as I know, Metoprolol Tartrate 50mg is not an extended release medication. So, I do believe these will act on your body differently.

Lee

Possible side effects of Metoprolol Tartrate Tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:

Blurred vision; cold hands and feet; confusion; constipation; depression; diarrhea; dizziness; dry mouth/eyes; gas; hair loss; headache; heartburn; itching; lightheadedness; mild drowsiness; muscle aches; nausea; nightmares; ringing in the ears; short-term memory loss; sleeplessness; stomach pain; unusual tiredness or weakness.

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; fainting; pounding in the chest; swelling of the arms, hands, and feet; wheezing; yellowing of the skin or eyes.

This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions or need medical advice about side effects, contact your doctor or health care provider. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088) or at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Toporal XL
What side effects may occur?
Side effects cannot be anticipated. If any develop or change in intensity, inform your doctor as soon as possible. Only your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking Toprol-XL.

More common side effects may include:
Depression, diarrhea, dizziness, itching, rash, shortness of breath, slow heartbeat, tiredness

Thanks Ross

Thanks Ross

I will consult, did not have these same feelings with toprol

Hi,

When I first started taking a beta blocker, I experienced blurred vision; cold hands and feet; lightheadedness; and unusual tiredness.

These feelings were all new to me, and felt so strange... but either I have adapted to them, or they have gone away... ohh.. did I mention "short term memory loss", but that I am sure is from the heart/lung bypass manchine.

I should also mention that I was first put on Lopresser, but then changed to Atenolol. I have mentioned many times in the past about the side effects of beta blockers in the Lopressor family and the effects it has due to the drug crossing over the blood-brain barrier and effecting the cental nervous system. You can search my posts to find out more of my postings.

Wishing you good health, and short-term side effects,
Rob

I was on atenolol for years and for some reason my dr put me on Toprol XL. I started coughing and read right here in vr that Toprol causes coughing in some. I asked to be put back on atenolol and lo, the coughing stopped. The atenolol makes my feet freeze but I can put on socks and that mostly fixes it (when I lie down is when they get cold)

Latest posts

Back