Been on antibiotics

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jax

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Well I woke up on monday with the worst cold. By the time monday night rolled around I was so miserable I couldn't sleep. Went to the doc on tuesday because it had already gone to my lungs. She put me on biaxin 500 mg twice a day. And believe it or not it isn't helping. I had to test my inr this morning and I was thinking it might be a little higher than it was last week but it stayed the same at 2.7 which is great. But then I had quite a bit of foods this week with vitamin k. I've had a hard time eating and a lot of things have made me nauseous so I've basically been living on not much food but have been eating my salads and had my cabbage and corn beef for St. Patrick's day and had spinach dip last weekend too. So anyway I'm just thinking if I had not had all that food with vitamin K in it my inr probably would have been pretty high. Anyway the antibiotics don't seem to be doing much and I still feel awful. May have to make another trip to the doc as I have missed a day and half of work and not only can I not afford that but I have to watch it as management on my job only gives u 6 points and your out the door and I am already at 2 and 1/2. Anyway just thought I would share my experiences this week. And wondering if anyone else has noticed that antibiotics don't work as well after surgery?

Meds & Antibiotics

Meds & Antibiotics

Nope, I never had an experience with antibiotics that didn't work after surgery. Also, experiences tend to vary with individual body responses to foods that are supposed to have lots of V-K. I've never noticed any issues with my diet affecting my INR. You may hear from some members who have had different experiences with diet and INR.

-Philip

1 potential interaction was found for the drugs you selected.
You searched for interactions between the following drugs :

Biaxin
Coumadin Tablets

(Note: Not all drug interactions are known or reported in the literature, and new drug interactions are continually being reported. This information is provided only for your education and for you to discuss with your personal healthcare provider. )

WARFARIN SODIUM (in Coumadin Tablets) may interact with CLARITHROMYCIN (in Biaxin)

Clarithromycin may block the breakdown of warfarin by the liver. If this happens, blood levels of warfarin could be increased and this could increase its anticoagulant effect. Warfarin is generally used to prevent your blood from "coagulating" or forming blood clots. When clarithromycin and warfarin are used at the same time, your blood may be much less likely to clot and this may increase the risk of excessive bleeding. If these drugs are taken together, your doctor may want to monitor you closely when therapy with clarithromycin is either started or stopped. Blood tests can be used to make sure that you are getting the right amount of warfarin. If you are experiencing problems, it may be necessary to adjust the dose of warfarin.Ask your healthcare provider about these drugs and this potential interaction as soon as possible.

This interaction is well-documented and is considered major in severity.

Last Updated:January 2005

Back