BAV facing OHS in Oct (AVR and aorta graft)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am glad to read your posts and you are ready to go home! That first week at home is the toughest, I think.
Sending positive thoughts for a good recovery!!
I can see how that would be true. It’s at very least hardest on my wife and kids as my caretakers. Still, there’s just something about being back in your own bed and walking around your territory!

I told my wife I wanted to “walk the neighborhood” tonight. Let’s just say that was a bit aggressive. Made it to Nextdoor neighbor’s house for a very quick visit on the sidewalk. Haha
Ah Yes, I remember that time when we had to show the world, and our wives, that a little thing like Heart Surgery couldn't keep a good man down:giggle:. Relax and let life come to you......don't push it. You have a long life to live.

I told my wife I wanted to “walk the neighborhood” tonight. Let’s just say that was a bit aggressive. Made it to Nextdoor neighbor’s house for a very quick visit on the sidewalk. Haha
But top points awarded for trying

Small steps forward day by day
Don't overstep and slip backwards

👍

Just FYI
“Take”
IMG_20231031_102658.jpg

Edit was an option

Wow, very similar situations we are in. And you on Oct 24, me on Oct 25. We are 3 weeks out, my friend. I know God has us both covered - in this I take great peace.

It’s funny - thanks to this site and the many who have been through it here, I’m actually now leaning toward a mechanical valve. Still not 100% decided, though.

Please keep me/us posted on your journey, friend.
Hokie, I had my AV replaced when I was 52. I am 65 now. I went with the tissue valve which is what my Surgeon from Cleveland Clinic favored. The down side is having to go threu a re do if you live that long. Life span 10-20 years they say on tissue valves. They are does the transcatheter valve replacement now more commonly so that could be an option for you if you need a redo down the road. Machinal valve means taking coumadin life long (rat poison) having to test regularly for certain protein levels, potential bleeding issues if you hurt yourself, all too much to bother with in my onion. Good luck to you!

Hokie, I had my AV replaced when I was 52. I am 65 now. I went with the tissue valve which is what my Surgeon from Cleveland Clinic favored. The down side is having to go threu a re do if you live that long. Life span 10-20 years they say on tissue valves. They are does the transcatheter valve replacement now more commonly so that could be an option for you if you need a redo down the road. Machinal valve means taking coumadin life long (rat poison) having to test regularly for certain protein levels, potential bleeding issues if you hurt yourself, all too much to bother with in my onion. Good luck to you!
well sir the rat poison may even be required on a tissue valve for some folks, perhaps you have never heard of tissue valve thrombosis. You should read it up. Point being, a tissue valve will not guarentee no blood thinners

Hi
as has been identified one way or another many times: there is no definitive cure for valvular heart disease, we simply exchange valvular heart disease for prosthetic valve disease. There are two major categories of prosthetic valve disease:
  1. bio prosthesis
  2. mechanical prosthesis

The down side is having to go threu a re do if you live that long. Life span 10-20 years they say on tissue valves.

Well, first time I've thought of "if you live that long" as being a down side, but I see what you mean.

So yes type 1 is "managed" by surgery or other valve replacement interventions

Machinal valve means taking coumadin life long (rat poison) having to test regularly for certain protein levels, potential bleeding issues if you hurt yourself, all too much to bother with in my onion.

we each make our own decisions I chose rat poision because I'm pretty sure that (after more than 12 years) that
  • testing is a peach
  • I understand the idea of different things being poision at one dose and a medicine at another dose (ask about anaesthetic)
  • potential bleeding issues are insignificant when INR is managed. However I appreciate many can't manage it themselves (for one reason or another)
its of course the reason why we have choices available because one size doesn't fit all. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Best Wishes

Back