BAV facing OHS in Oct (AVR and aorta graft)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was worth every penny of the check-in fee of $250 I paid in 2009!
Of course, like doctors, they bill the insurance the full amount but take what the insurance pays which is a heck of a lot less!!
They offered massage, and a nice gal came by with a book cart. I got a Stanford hospital blanket, slippers and very kind nurses. Plus, I got to see the operating room before my 2nd surgery
which was fascinating to me. Not at all what I thought it would look like.
Can I afford to live in Palo Alto or send my daughter to Stanford? Heck no! But I’m sure happy I could get my surgeries done there!🙂

It was worth every penny of the check-in fee of $250 I paid in 2009!
Can I afford to live in Palo Alto or send my daughter to Stanford? Heck no! But I’m sure happy I could get my surgeries done there!🙂
:)
I'm happy that you have access to the place you feel so good about. I have my reservations about Stanford, but didn't mean to go into that discussion. My comment on the prices was purely factual, not critical.

Well, I'm less than 48 hours away from go-time at Vanderbilt University Medical Center - SAVR and aortic aneurysm repair on Wed around 1:30pm CT. I meet with Dr. Shah (surgeon) tomorrow morning for one last consult on valve selection. It's funny, he told me 2 months ago that I can make the valve decision right up to the day of surgery. I laughed inside thinking I'd never wait that long (I'm a planner). Yet....here we are. :)

It's a gorgeous fall day here in the Nashville, TN area, so I just went out for a 25 mile bike ride. This is my hobby/sport of choice, so I figured get a good ride in - it's gonna be a while.....

You’re in good hands at Vandy! Relax, do what they tell you after surgery, be easy on yourself, work hard on your breathing exercises and walking and I’ll see you on the road in 12 weeks. Where did you do your 25 mile ride today?

You’re in good hands at Vandy! Relax, do what they tell you after surgery, be easy on yourself, work hard on your breathing exercises and walking and I’ll see you on the road in 12 weeks. Where did you do your 25 mile ride today?
Thanks! I see you're in Franklin....I'll see you out on the road, indeed.

As for where I rode today, let's see if this strava link works. If not, it was from Brentwood (east), down Sunset, Sam Donald to Nolensville, Clovercroft to Burke Hollow Rd (love this road!), Wilson Pike back to Crockett Park and home.

https://www.strava.com/activities/10092485407

I had the telehealth visit this morning with Dr. Shah, cardiac surgeon at Vanderbilt. The main topic of discussion was valve selection - you know, since we're 24 hours away from surgery :) . I started this journey thinking I'd want tissue....learned a lot on this site about how Coumadin can be managed and isn't that bad of a boogeyman, so was starting to lean toward mechanical.....and this morning, ultimately have landed on the Magna bovine tissue valve (~27 mm in size). Dr. Shah gave me all the details, shared his thoughts on what he'd do if it were him, and I ultimately made the decision. A large factor in my decision was my candidacy and likelihood for future TAVR procedure. Before anyone says it, I do understand fully that there no guarantee of that at this point.

We can perhaps debate the pros/cons of the decision at a later time. :) For now, I'm eager to get it going tomorrow. Appreciate the continued prayers and positive thoughts!

PS - a "funny" (?) aside - I knew Dr. Shah was just on vacation overseas, so I opened the call asking how his time away was. He said it was wonderful, he and his family were in Japan, and then he said, "the only bad part is that we haven't had much sleep since returning...". Yeah.....there are things you probably shouldn't say to a patient who's counting on you the following day for a multi-hour surgery. :)

Best of luck tomorrow and try to get some good rest tonight. You’ll find the intake and prep stuff tomorrow at Vandy will be very organized and efficient and before you know it you’ll be back in recovery. You made an informed decision on valve type after weighing all angles and now relax and let Dr Shah do his magic…..

I had the telehealth visit this morning with Dr. Shah, cardiac surgeon at Vanderbilt. The main topic of discussion was valve selection - you know, since we're 24 hours away from surgery :) . I started this journey thinking I'd want tissue....learned a lot on this site about how Coumadin can be managed and isn't that bad of a boogeyman, so was starting to lean toward mechanical.....and this morning, ultimately have landed on the Magna bovine tissue valve (~27 mm in size). Dr. Shah gave me all the details, shared his thoughts on what he'd do if it were him, and I ultimately made the decision. A large factor in my decision was my candidacy and likelihood for future TAVR procedure. Before anyone says it, I do understand fully that there no guarantee of that at this point.

We can perhaps debate the pros/cons of the decision at a later time. :) For now, I'm eager to get it going tomorrow. Appreciate the continued prayers and positive thoughts!

PS - a "funny" (?) aside - I knew Dr. Shah was just on vacation overseas, so I opened the call asking how his time away was. He said it was wonderful, he and his family were in Japan, and then he said, "the only bad part is that we haven't had much sleep since returning...". Yeah.....there are things you probably shouldn't say to a patient who's counting on you the following day for a multi-hour surgery. :)
I hope the surgery went well.All the best 🙏

I haven’t had my phone on until today (day 4). My wife shared following update to social media. It wasn’t uneventful, but I’m grateful I’m on the path to recovery and very likely going home tomorrow on day 5.

He’s doing well overall! Very grateful. Some temp issues last night but much better today and no fever currently. 🙏🏼 Still having vision issues with no clear answer but they SLOWLY seem to be getting better. It takes him a lot of energy to focus and not see double BUT he is able to! And 2 days ago he wasn’t at all. They have put in opthomology consult so hopefully someone can help him with this even through therapy if we don’t ever get a why. I did have a CT scan of the brain following surgery and nothing clear is visible as a cause.

He is having some mild arrhythmia but they don’t seem super concerned and are trying to get it under control with medicine.

Chest tubes are supposed to come out today (they did, today on day 4) so that will be wonderful (will be challenging for a sec during but wonderful once out).

Thank you all for continuing to pray. Feeling them all and very thankful.

I haven’t had my phone on until day 4 (yesterday). My wife shared the following update to social media. It wasn’t uneventful, but I’m grateful I’m on the path to recovery and very likely going home today on day 5.

He’s doing well overall! Very grateful. Some temp issues last night but much better today and no fever currently. 🙏🏼 Still having vision issues with no clear answer but they SLOWLY seem to be getting better. It takes him a lot of energy to focus and not see double BUT he is able to! And 2 days ago he wasn’t at all. They have put in opthomology consult so hopefully someone can help him with this even through therapy if we don’t ever get a why. I did have a CT scan of the brain following surgery and nothing clear is visible as a cause.

He is having some mild arrhythmia but they don’t seem super concerned and are trying to get it under control with medicine.

Chest tubes are supposed to come out today (they did, on day 4) so that will be wonderful (will be challenging for a sec during but wonderful once out).

And I just spoke with my surgeon and he’s releasing me home today on day 5. While I know more work is ahead in recovery, I’m truly grateful to be going home to do it. That said, I will miss the amazing staff of nurses in cardiac at VUMC!

Thank you all for continuing to pray. Feeling them all and very thankful.

Welcome to the other side!

And I just spoke with my surgeon and he’s releasing me home today on day 5.
This is great news!

You're through the hard part. You will feel a little better each day, as you recover. Please share your recovery updates as you feel able to do so. I would suggest walking a lot and continuing to use the spirometer breathing device- really important to get the lungs back to full capacity.

I am glad to read your posts and you are ready to go home! That first week at home is the toughest, I think.
Sending positive thoughts for a good recovery!!

Reactions: V__
Back