back pain

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathy

I read with interest a post which described the way they position open heart patients on the operating table. (elbows pinned back like turkey wings) No wonder I had such pain after surgery. I noticed mild to moderate pain in my upper arms, right upper abdominal muscles, and between my shoulder blades.

Things were much better until I had been in rehab for a few weeks and they started me on weights last week. I had mild muscle pain between the shoulder blades and in the upper abdomen again. I reduced the weights per instructions of the nurse.

This weekend I have had severe, shooting pain in my lower back when bending over to load the dishwasher and getting the newspaper off the coffee table. I have never experienced anything like this.

My plan is to call the doctor on Monday and to discontinue rehab until I have a doctor's opinion.

My assumption is that this has nothing to do with the surgery, but I did wonder if anyone experienced something similar several months after surgery.

Hi Kathy,
You should continue your rehab. I know I also had more pain when I first started rehab but I think it was rehab that helped to get rid of the pain. I still have some numbness in my ring and little finger on the left hand, but other than that the rest is gone.
I hope that your pain goes away for you.
Take Care

Dave

The pain is pretty typical. It's not only the body position, but the fact that your body has gone through some pretty severe trauma.

Don't give up on your rehab, but do ask your doc about the pain.
Kev

Kathy

Kathy

You are only 3 months out. I had shooting pain in my shoulders..for about 6 months..Like trying to wash windows, lifting heavy clothes out of washer...takes the body a long time to heal...:eek: :eek: :eek: Bonnie

Thanks to everyone for the helpful responses. I did see the doctor and he said it was probably related to the surgery. He suggested that I go to physical therapy in conjunction with rehab. I continued with rehab this week and will see a PT on Monday. I guess I am "gun shy". Every time I have a new pain I envision the worst scenerio. I am in no mood to return to a hospital for quite a while.

On the bright side, I found a new G.P. I liked him very much. He is part of an independent practice with two other partners. The doctor I was seeing before surgery had not been supportive of my decision to go to Cleveland for surgery. The office had been bought by a local HMO and the practice had really expanded and changed over the last few years. They really screwed up my first INR reading. I knew enough to call the cardiologist and get further information.

Kathy,

It's okay to be "gunshy". Better to be safe than sorry. I went to the GP one time with some minor chest pains and he told me that I had strained a muscle sneezing. It's not worth guessing.

Take care.

Latest posts

Back