Back pain in bed and huge groin hematoma

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChicagoMammy

Hi all

So I'm 6 days out and recovery is going well. Surgery went great, no complications etc. I feel like I've been hit by a bus which is normal and I remember from last time. This time I cannot get comfortable in bed. Last night was my first night home and pretty rough. I kept waking up and moving from bed to chair. Any tips?

Also I have a golf ball living in my groin which is the most painful go all my pains. They did an ultrasound yesterday and are happy it's not an issue. I am in agony though. Anyone have similar from the various lines they prod and sew into us? How did recovery for that go? When did the pain ease. I care more about the pain than the fact like I look like a male when dressed!

Welcome back !

For the first six weeks post surgery I slept on our sofa in an upright position with big cushions to lean against. This was the most comfortable position to sleep in - though I should probably call it dozing as being upright is not that conducive to normal sleep. Being in the living room I did not disturb anyone and it was quite nice :) I kept my mobile with me to phone hubby if I had a problem, a tip I picked up on the forum which was most useful ! As the weeks went by I'd try lying down (on the sofa which is quite big so just like a bed for sleeping on) and started with an hour or so's sleep lying down before it was too uncomfortable and so on. By the sixth week I could sleep the whole night lying down which was bliss and meant I could move to a bed proper.

I can't advise about the line, mine was in my neck and healed well, and the drain lines were under a breast and also healed well…mind you I had a rash from the dressings which suddenly itched badly the second weekend…most strange.

Pain from my sternum lasted many weeks with me and I had complications which slowed down recovery.

Hope you get comfortable and painfree soon !

Last edited:
me and you in the same boat, i developed groin SEROMA that really upsets me … it been 1 day on my discharge I've been in the hospital for 12 days .. my back hurt soooo much as the hospital beds sucks … i feel so depressed after the surgery as I'm only 24 who was not very symptomatic but did the operation now than later because my child only 4 months now and it would be easier for me and him now as he is too little to understand whats going on, after the surgery i wished that i've waited to the last minute of my valve :p cuz now I'm stuck with this pain and lots of medications and warfrin for the the rest my life…
Hope i stop feeling this way

the hospital gave me pain patch to stick on the pain area and also gave me the cream begay to put it on the back area if in pain, to be honest they don't help much ..
also tylenol you can try that with other pain medications

extraordinary - I've been where you are are. I had my first surgery at 28 years old when my daughter was 6 months old. It was tough and I had a few really crappy complications immediately post op. Honestly though it's good you're doing it now My kids are now 7, 5 and 21 months and its really difficult to get enough rest with them running around like crazy. You will get through this. My hematoma is pain free now. The incision in my groin is still a little sore but overall my pain is much more manageable now 3 weeks and 3 days out. We all have different paths in our recoveries. My two surgeries have been very different. I was rehospitalized twice this time, but overall this surgery was a walk in the park compared to last time. We will come out strong the other side though, but it can be very tough along the way.

Back