Back on line!!!!Have a couple of questions?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CThrock

I've been out for sometime well since November anyways. Had alot of medical problems. Had Lung surgery to remove a nodule that had been there before my heart surgery. Also developed a kidney problem so was in/out of hospital three times now I'm recovery at home. Nothing like being home!!!
Well getting back to my questions.
I'm experiencing some hair loss looked up all the meds I'm on and the only that can cause hair loss is the warfarin. Has anybody else had this problem? I've been on it for over a year and a half why now?
The other question is my INR has been low like 1.4 and has'nt gone up yet. What do they do if it does'nt go up? I've been feeling pretty tired lately which is not like me. Haven't really talk to the dr. yet but have my INR checked again tomorrow.I'm at 10mg 5 times a week and 7.5 the other days.Let me know your input.. I know somebody can share some of the same experience can't be just me... I Hope!!!!Thanks..

Whenever my husband went through extended stressful medical problems or surgeries, he experienced some hair loss. He normally had a full head of hair, and it would thin out during this period. It did come back in again after he recovered from whatever the problem of the time was.

He had been on Coumadin for almost 30 years, so it wasn't that, it was the medical stressors.

I really do not know anything about warfarin, but I do know that angiograms can do this too. My hair dresser calls it medicine hair. Stress is also a big factor. When I lost my husband on 911 I was losing it alot.

xoxo

Just Kathy (the other Kathy M)

Iread somewhere long ago that hairloss can be associated
with warfarin ive been on warfarin,coumadin for 16 years and i sit on my hair so maybe i dont notice it as much with brushing etc as it can offord to
fall out. but not sure what you mean by hair loss,i do notice mine comes out alot when i brush it and i feel warfarin can be a culpert of it but not to any extent i worry about it too much.........but now im wondering too lol i will keep a closer eye on it.

Zipper2

How long has your INR been 1.4 ???

That could be dangerously LOW. I hope your Doctor will address that after your test tomorrow.

You may want to ask about taking Lovenox Injections until your INR is back in your prescribed range.

Hopefully some of our Home Testers / Dosers will chime in with their recommendation for raising a 1.4 INR back to range (what is your target range?).

'Al Capshaw'

My target range is 2.5 to 3.5. I had those injects when I was in the hospital left bruises all over my stomoch. Hopefully with uping my dose last week my INR's better. I'm on two new meds predisone for kidney problem hopefully only a few more weeks on that. Then a new bp med cozaar. Also for bp and kidney.

Low INR

Low INR

Al's right, 1.4 is pretty low. I'd be visiting with my cardio doc about increasing my dosage if I couldn't move into my target range.

I've encountered having my INR drop below 2.0 several times and a couple of spikes where it went way too high since my surgery last March. Exercise and diet supplements were the culprits. Adjusting my dosage to get back into range (2.5-3.5) was pretty easy.

Your INR might be affected by some of the other health problems you've encountered, but you probably need to do some adjustment to get into your range.

My cardio doc really doesn't want me to drop below 2.0.

The hair loss thing is interesting. I've not experienced anything like that, but I've only been on coumadin since last March.

-Philip

I lost vast amounts of hair :eek: post-op but I really don't know what caused it. I was on Sotalol and Coumadin for three months post-op and the hair loss stopped shortly after I stopped those meds, and happily grew back in. I was very disturbed about loosing so much hair, so let me tell you that I really feel for you. I hope you find a solution. This may sound a little strange, but my hair grows more quickly when I consume potatoes. And I like to eat potatoes with their skins. There must be something in them that my body needs because it really seems to make a difference with me. I don't know if that will make a difference for you but I hope it is helpful. Take care.

I lost a patch about an inch-and-a-half in diameter shortly after I came out of hospital after OHS. It has grown back in, and now you'd never know, but it was completely bald for a while. I have not changed any meds since then, and jut put it down to my body going through the stress of OHS.

As to your INR, at this point, it may go up and down, depending on exercise, physical and mental stress, diet, other meds, other diseases/conditions etc., but my personal opinion is that you greatly risk adding stroke to the other conditions that you have. The longer you are below range, the greater the chance. Not sure how long ago your surgery was, or your experience with anti-coagulation, but read the posts here, specially the stickies, and use the links, learn as much as you can, take printouts with you to the doctor, and see about getting that INR up fast, or "bridging" until it does come up. I have never had to do it, but I hear that an ice cube rubbed on your stomach before injection makes a big difference.

A few have spoken about hair loss and Coumadin. I have not experienced it personally. I've been on warfarin 16 years.

But I will say that stress is a huge reason for hair loss. Both physical and mental stress. I would say that the answer to your question about why you are experiencing hair loss is to look at all you've been through.

My husband has a head full of thick hair. His last job (left in October) was incredibly stressful with 80 hour work weeks. His hair was thinning so quickly. I was cleaning handfuls of it out of the shower. Now that he has a different job, his hair is thickening up again.

Hair Loss and Warfarin

Hair Loss and Warfarin

I am losing my hair now. It's been "thinning" for about 5 years, but I've been on warfarin for over 23 years, so I can't attribute it to that. Hope your hair decides to stick around. Brian Mc

Wanted to let you know my INR went up to be 1.8. I feel alot better today so could tell it was better still not up where its suppose to be but will have it check again next week. Prayfully its in the 2.?. My energy level was zero when it was that low. Thanks for all your input everyone.:)

Hi, hope you can get your target range sorted out soon. My son as a bald patch from his surgery 8 years ago. Maybe when you sort your INR levels out you might be more relaxed and it may help with the hair problem, goodluck.
Iam surprised that i still have a full head of hair :eek: with all my stress. Take care.

Back