Back into the fray.. 1 / 8 / 16

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ershin

Well, yeah. A couple of months ago I posted that I'd be needing a second AVR and asked about valve types. I got some excellent responses and took the information with me to my next cardiology appointment, where a day later I was informed my MRI results were poor and I'd need surgery within the next 2 months. My cardiologist swiftly setup a consultation with a surgeon (Dr. Robert Stewart with Dr. Gosta Pettersson, CCF) and I met with him the following week, where I was pretty much shown and told my ascending aorta is fairly enlarged and needs replacing, which they'd like to do a bentall with ascending, hemiarch and innominate artery graft for. I was informed of valve choices (a second bioprosthesis or mechanical) and hastily responded with mechanical in hopes of avoiding future surgery; in fact, the surgeon proposed mechanical for the same reason. This was all fine, and when asked when works for me in some sort of courageous/terrified haze I said as early as I can get. We setup the surgery for 1/8/16 and.. i felt fine, until now. A mere 5 days before the surgery and I'm starting to worry if I made a poor choice in saying I wanted it done soon. I.. can't really come up with a reason as to why, though. To me it makes perfect sense to get it now while I'm still feeling fairly well, and to avoid winter and be ready to take walks come spring/summer. My anxiety, however, is nagging at the back of my mind saying I've made a mistake saying I'd like it done soon.

I guess mostly I'm just nervous about being back to a single digit countdown in such short order, and super weirded out after reading into what goes on during the surgery. Even now I feel like I'm mostly just rambling out of fear, trying to talk my way out of it. So... here goes. I'll bravely but anxiously walk my way down the hallway once more, hoping to be fortunate enough to make it to the other side. Many thanks to this site, it was a very good find and helped me find the information I was looking for!

If say all you're feeling is normal. I had my surgery in Feb and has the same thoughts. I wanted to be healed up by the time the weather was nice. I also wanted to have it done while I felt good. I also had second thoughts....

I just went through a similar thing recently ,September, and felt the same as you. I made the choice for a tissue valve because the surgeon asked if the sound of a ticking clock bothered me which it does. I was already on Warfarin which I have to continue since I now have a pacemaker too. I wish you well and want you to know many people here experience the same things and are very helpful to ease your mind here.

Ershin, you would have the same emotions about the surgery regardless of when it was scheduled. It's normal to be fearful. I tried not to think about the actual procedure and focused instead on how many folks have had successful surgery and how much better I would feel afterward. I could have waited upwards of a year but just wanted it over and done with. Sending positive thoughts your way.

Positive thoughts from me to you. I would have postponed my replacement (11 years ago with a tissue valve) forever if I could have done so. I think your thoughts about recovering before the arrival of spring are spot on. Best wishes going forward!

I agree with everyone...very normal to have fears and doubts going into surgery. Remember, the sooner you have this done, the sooner you will be back on your path to recovery. Thinking of you and sending positive thoughts.

You will be fine and in good hands. Dr. Stewart is amazing and his nurse practioners were very helpful. He did my AVR (on-x) on 12/2/15. Take a deep breath, relax and know that you are in good hands. The other question would be...why wait. Go get better and you will be feeling great by spring time here in northeast Ohio.

My plan is to approach it like honeybunny. I try not to think about the actual procedure, but to focus on the outcome and all of the people whose lives are better because of it. For me, and I understand others are different, I prefer not to know what will be done, in any specific way. What I have/had control over was the choice of surgeon, the type of valve, and generally when the surgery would occur. I found living with the knowledge of my condition, and what MIGHT happen (aneurysm ruptures) tolerable, but it is/was always somewhere in my mind; just a breath away.

Amy

Latest posts

Back