Back in hospital

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csutherland

I posted several weeks ago about Jerry's problems with fatigue, shortness of breath, fluid retention, etc. We finally got to see the cardio Wednesday. They did another echo which wasn't satisfactory for some reason, so a TEE was ordered for Friday at the hospital. After 5 weeks of this Jerry is feeling almost back to where he was when the downturn started so we weren't expecting anything serious from the TEE. They seemed rather grim when they came to me in the waiting room and said they were admitting him. He has fluid around the heart. He's a little disgusted at having to spend the weekend in there when he feels perfectly OK. He had been given Lasix 2 1/2 weeks ago by another doctor so that had taken care of the fluid in his ankles and abdomen, but apparently won't touch this in the pericardium.

They'll do something, probably Monday, and it'll most likely be a pericardial window. (I believe that's what it's called). It is a surgery, but not through the sternum. In the meantime they've tried to scare the daylights out of me by suggesting it might be caused by a metastasis from cancer he had last year, etc. That seems like a huge coincidence to me that he had valve replacement in Feb and cancer would decide to move into the pericardial sac 5 weeks later. From my research, I think it's pericarditis, which can be caused by open heart surgery.

Of course he had to be taken off Coumadin in preparation for the surgery, and they're giving him something in its place by injection into the belly.

His BP is running high the past few days--last night it was 174/100. Don't know what that means.

Hi Celia

I'm not a doctor, but I think your right about pericarditis, but after looking at some other pages, they may be correct also.
Are his kidneys functioning properly?
His BP is probably because of all the pressure the fluid is puting on his heart.

Before my aneursym rupture was properly diagnosed, they took me in for a pericardial window. The sac, which they thought was full of water, was full of blood and blood clots. My BP was very similiar to what Jerry's is now. I would suspect that once the pressure is taken off of the heart, his BP would lower drastically.

He may feel alright now, but if it were allowed to continue, he would be in a life threatening condition and I'm sure he wouldn't feel good then.

Tell him to keep his chin up and you do so as well.
Please keep us posted when you can.

Last edited:
Celia-

I'm very sorry to hear about Jerry being in the hospital and with this problem. I'm sure the doctors will work very hard on getting him better. It must be discouraging to say the least.

The tests they are running on him are very sophisticated and will show the problem as it really is. I'm so glad that finally they are finding a solution for his ongoing problems.

It's hard to keep your spirits up when things are so touchy right now. You have lots of friends here, please use this resource when you have the available time. We'll do our best to be there for you.

My best to you and to Jerry. I'll be thinking about you.

might be's and couldabeen's

might be's and couldabeen's

No doctor should ever tell you something like this without knowing firsthand what he has to report - Certainly the doctor scared you. So, Celia, my dear, you just stand strong in your own personal beliefs until they tell you what it really is. Whatever it is can be rough enough on you without guesses from the doctor. I pray that he will be well again soon and that all goes well tomorrow. My prayers are with you and Jerry as you go through this, yet again. For him - Godspeed

Celia,

I sincerely hope that everything goes well for Jerry tomorrow and that the analysis of the fluid that is drained will not show anything too serious. There are many things that can cause pericardial effusion, some not nearly as serious as others. Let's hope that Jerry's is something minor.

You are both in my prayers.

Ron K

hi celia!
i was so sorry to read that jerry was back in the hospital. you must be very upset about this. i truly feel for you.
being there, though, they will be able to correct or treat whatever the problem is. as a wise member of this forum once told me : "atleast you have a sign and it can be fixed".
please send our best to jerry and let us know how things go. you are in our thoughts and prayers.
we are here for you if you need us.
be well, sylvia

Pericardial window it is

Pericardial window it is

We finally got to see the surgeon today. He's planning to do the pericardial window tomorrow. It's about a 1-hr operation, much less complicated than the previous. He sees about 2 of these a year that are the result of prior heart surgery. He does numerous others that are from cancer, etc. He's wondering if his protime level was high at some point, causing bleeding in there. If it was we didn't hear about it. His coumadin dosage has run very consistent. Or if, when they get in there it isn't blood, it could be a yellowish fluid that they'll test.

There is quite a bit of fluid in there and he says it speaks well of Jerry's overall condition that he isn't feeling worse than he is. BUT, since he hasn't had Lasix since Wednesday, he started feeling kind of rough this afternoon and his ankles are swelling again.

They will leave a drain tube in for 5 days and he'll spend all that time in the hospital.

Thanks for your prayers and concern!

I just wanted to add our sincerest best wishes for the surgery. It isn't easy when things don';t go as planned.

Our prayers are with you.

Marybeth and Wayne

Latest posts

Back