Back In Atrialfibrilation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomD

On Friday, which was day 21 post surgery, I was cardioverted again and my heart thumping was a bit more tolerable. But today (Sunday) I went back into atrialfibrailation so I am a bit depressed about that.

I see my cardio next Friday to discuss next options. I am reading a lot of nasty side effects from Amioderarone so I am going to see if I can just stop taking it, wait about another month to get it fully out of my system, and then go back on Tykosyn which worked great for me for two years pre surgery.

I was rehospitalized about two weeks post-op for A-fib/A-flutter and Sotalol kicked it for me. However, they also gave me magnesium IVs, while I was back in the hospital, which are supposed to be helpful. Just a couple of things that worked for me. My paternal uncle is A-fib constantly and isn't aware of it. But I was aware of it and it was wiping me out! So I hope they find something that will fix you right up, and soon. By the way, I like your Avatar with Judith! It's nice to put faces with members :) . Take care Tom!

Bumps

Bumps

Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear you're feeling a few bumps. Don't let the bumps get you down. A-fib seems to be a common issue after OHS. Try to keep focused on a positive outlook. Things will get better.

-Philip

I had the A-fib after my surgery which was Nov. 8, 2007. The incidents were multiple times a day and then spread out longer and longer. The hopefully last one I had was 74 days after surgery and I am now 49 days A-fib free. The cardiologist told me this was the most common for valve replacements and not to be worried about it. None of my medicine was changed during this "adjustment" period. Keep your chin up ....slow and steady wins the recovery game.

Tom....there is a good chance this will resolve itself....it does for many....As someone said...stay positive.....I fought the same battle and it has not reoccurred in two years....Tom

TomD said:
I am reading a lot of nasty side effects from Amioderarone so I am going to see if I can just stop taking it, wait about another month to get it fully out of my system,
Umm no, it takes up to 6 months to get that stuff out of your system.

I am seven weeks post surgery tomorrow (Tuesday) and I had A-Fib in the hospital. I am on 40 mg of sotalol twice a day and my cardio said he would keep me on this for three months. I have not had any A-Fib since that I'm aware of. I too had the magnesium in the hospital.
My surgeon said about 30% of patients go into A-Fib.
Good luck
Earline

Tom
The first question I have is how long have you been on the amnio. That will determine how quickly they can switch to the Tikosyn. I was on the amnio for a short time and the switch to Tikosyn was swift. I do vote for the Tikosyn but you must be aware they will have to do it as an inpatient. I found the Tikosyn the best drug of the half dozen I tried but I could not afford it for very long. Afib certainly can rule and ruin the day.
Kathleen

TomD said:
On Friday, which was day 21 post surgery, I was cardioverted again and my heart thumping was a bit more tolerable. But today (Sunday) I went back into atrialfibrailation so I am a bit depressed about that.

I see my cardio next Friday to discuss next options. I am reading a lot of nasty side effects from Amioderarone so I am going to see if I can just stop taking it, wait about another month to get it fully out of my system, and then go back on Tykosyn which worked great for me for two years pre surgery.

Hmmm.... I'm not familiar with Tykosyn. What kind of drug is that?

Ask your surgeon or cardio about Sotalol (Generic form of BetaPace). Several of our members report good results in controlling A-Fib with that medication which has few side effects once your body adjusts to it (a few weeks). The 'usual' recommendation is to start it while hospitalized 'just in case' dangerous arrhythmias might be triggered when your first start taking it.

'AL Capshaw'

Latest posts

Back