Awake and recovering

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deidra

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hey all! Woke up evening on Wednesday after a routine and successful surgeey.

That day went ok but I didnt sleep a lot.

The day after, i was very sleepy and having trouble eating and moving.

Today I slept a lot more and I feel better, everythings looking normal and most of the wires are out/theyre gonna step me down to the normal ward soon!

Today I slept a lot more and I feel better, everythings looking normal and most of the wires are out/theyre gonna step me down to the normal ward soon!
that's great ...

(I've never been a normal ward patient ;-) )
1715374946801.png

Congratulations and thanks from the future potential patient. Your future occasional feedback here is also very welcome.

Hi
Update, on heparin in the hospital trying to get my INR past 2.
it's early days, they'll swing it slowly (don't start me) ... what matters most is the next 40+ years of how you manage it all :) This will all seem like a distant and foggy memory soon enough.

Still doing ok, trying to walk more,
excellent ... walk (or shuffle slowly) all you can.

got my chest tubes taken out today.
a milestone!

Trying to eat more as well.
my strategy was "eat slowly, if not finished ask them to leave it when they return. Eat all you can.

Had a decent day overall! Lots of insulin checks
insulin checks ... interesting ... I've got a story about that, but I wager you don't want to hear it ;-)

Best Wishes

Glad you’re recovering! I found that I could ask for the type of food I could eat since hospital food isn’t the best. I would get pudding, frozen ice cream or yogurt an apple and they’d bring me ensure. It was hard for me to eat the warm food. I had nausea for a few days and phenergan helped.

Hey all! Woke up evening on Wednesday after a routine and successful surgeey.

That day went ok but I didnt sleep a lot.

The day after, i was very sleepy and having trouble eating and moving.

welcome to the other side:)

Day 4, almost slept through the night, with a few hour gap in between.

Still no sign of INR going up much so hopefully that improves soon.

Still moving more and everything, hopefully going to take my first shower today. Going to get my partner to pick up some food from outside cause the food in here is kinda bad lol

Had some palpitations/rhythm weirdness because of 1st degree AV block today and yesterday but they said its very common after surgery like this. Not a big problem.

Good chance of going home tomorrow! Thanks so much for your support everyone <3

Day 4, almost slept through the night, with a few hour gap in between.

Still no sign of INR going up much so hopefully that improves soon.

Still moving more and everything, hopefully going to take my first shower today. Going to get my partner to pick up some food from outside cause the food in here is kinda bad lol

Had some palpitations/rhythm weirdness because of 1st degree AV block today and yesterday but they said its very common after surgery like this. Not a big problem.

Good chance of going home tomorrow! Thanks so much for your support everyone <3
Although I am not exactly sure, I was the last aortic valve replacement surgery on this forum site. I had surgery on 27 March, about a month and a half ago.

First of all, your inr values will be in the desired range very soon, do not worry. My resting pulse rate was in the range of 50 - 55 bpm before surgery, but my resting pulse rate after surgery even reached 104 bpm. There is no need to worry about this issue, they will give you a beta blocker, which will gradually lower your pulse until your body gets used to the new aortic valve. my current resting pulse is between 65 and 70 bpm.
The most difficult thing for me was lying on my back in the postoperative period, because I was not used to it at all, my back muscles were quite heavy in the first weeks, but I'm kind of used to it these days.
45 days have passed since my surgery, I can now walk 12 km a day at high tempo and I can also ride my road bike on the trainer for 1 hour at medium tempo.
You will quickly regain your former form, I wish you healthy days

Congratulations on your uneventful surgery. It takes a while for the INR to get in range. It took me a few days. Good luck. Walk as much as you can. That helps.

Latest posts

Back