AVR w/o Open Heart

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gail,

Can you cut and paste the article into the thread? I went to the link, even joined the site. Could not find the article. Pretty extensive.

Thanks...

Just happened to have this up in a different window when I read your post, so here goes:

New procedure replaces aortic valve without open-heart surgery

Jan 23 (HeartCenterOnline) - Surgeons have announced the first case of heart valve replacement performed without open-heart surgery. The procedure, known as percutaneous heart valve implantation, was described at the 15th Annual International Symposium on Endovascular Therapy (Miami Beach, Florida) on January 20, 2003.

Led by Dr. Martin Leon, of Lenox Hill Hospital (New York, N.Y.), the case involved a 57-year old patient with valvular stenosis, a condition in which there is a narrowing, stiffening, thickening, fusion or blockage of one or more valves of the heart. The narrowed (stenosed) valve(s) may interfere with blood flow through the heart, and from the heart to the arteries that lead to the rest of the body via the aorta, or the lungs via the pulmonary artery. Normally, blood flows smoothly through the valves when they open. When a narrowed valve is unable to keep the blood from flowing freely, the heart must work harder to compensate for the lack of adequate blood flow. Over time, this overload can damage the heart's lower chambers (the ventricles) and upper chambers (atria). This may be accompanied by other conditions, such as the following:

*Damage to the heart muscle (myocardium)
* Enlargement and thickening (hypertrophy) of the heart muscle
*Congestive heart failure, which causes congestion in the lungs (pulmonary congestion) and/or swelling (edema) in the legs
*Valvular regurgitation, in which blood is leaking back through a valve in the wrong direction.

Typically, a diseased or defective valve is replaced with an artificial (prosthetic or mechanical) valve or a tissue valve (from a pig or cow). The standard technique has been an open-heart surgery that requires the use of a heart-lung machine. The patient needed replacement of the aortic valve, which connects the aorta to the heart's lower left chamber (ventricle). However, the patient's overall condition was too unstable and was deemed not a candidate for the surgery.

The new procedure is still in the experimental stages. It involves the use of balloon catheters and large stents introduced through a puncture in the skin (in the groin area, near the femoral vein) as opposed to open-heart surgery. The new heart valve is transported via the stent to the site, where the stent is then expanded to implant the valve. The patient showed great improvement following the procedure, both in the severity of his congestive heart failure and in his ability to resume some normal activities.

For patients not able to undergo open-heart surgery, due to age and/or physical condition, percutaneous valve implantation may impact significantly on survival and quality of life. "Anytime you can do less invasive treatment in critically ill patients, you reduce morbidity and you improve results," said Dr. Leon. "If in the future," he continued, "we can demonstrate that these valves are durable, that we can do the procedure repeatedly, reliably and safely, it may, in fact, be competitive with surgical valve replacement under many circumstances."

In 2003, studies of percutaneous valve implantation are scheduled to take place in Europe and in the United States.

This article describes a procedure that was, I think, first tried in France last year or so. The indications so far are that it is worthwhile only where the patient is not a good candidate for conventional open heart surgery. This is probably due to the experimental nature of the procedure. Also, the French article mentioned that the valve they implanted was smaller than that which would be implanted via open heart surgery.

The good thing, however, is that since all of the heart surgeries originated as experiments, this may turn out to be of more universal use. That would be especially of interest to those who look ahead to re-op in 10 years or so. For those of us who are expecting surgery within a few years, though, I would not expect it to become available. If it did, I don't think I would want to be the test subject unless all other possibilities were lost.

Neat stuff, and looking promising for the future.

Are they saying they somehow transported the valve through the vein up to the aorta? Or am I reading this wrong?

If so, how the heck would that fit? Even if it were somehow folded and condensed like those gadgets they use to plug holes in the heart, it would be pretty big, wouldn't it?

I'm intrigued.
Kev

Few months back there was a procedure highlighted on TLC for closing a 'hole in the heart'. Not sure of the medical term for that particular condition? TOF? Anyway, What they did was send an umbrella type device in catheter fashion up through the aorta into the heart. Once the 'umbrella is in place they are able to open it to close the hole. The procedure seemed successful. It was completed on a young child here in the US.

Hi Kevin,

That's the way I'm reading it too. I sounds like the valve is built into the stent, and they place the stent and valve in place.

Can anyone else provide any insite?

Rob

Well, this is an interesting bit of research, to be sure. Thanks Gail for posting it! I had some nearly fatal complications from my surgery, that my docs have told me were due to the invasiveness combined with a history of radiation. Future full-sternal operations for me may be a challenge for me to survive, even though my pre-existing pulmonary hypertension has been resolved with my new valves.

In short, I'm excited to read about anything that may make future operations less invasive.

Hi Rob,

I understand fully how they can get the valve to the site. Keeping the new valve in place with a stent sounds risky. How do they cut the diseased portion out? Maybe it's similar to port access but with much smaller equipment?

Find it interesting once again they are testing this overseas. I pray for the sake of the individuals undergoing this procedure they explained it's strictly "experimental". As we know, at times they fail to mention experimental.

Hi Everyone!
Thanks Bill for pasting the whole article. I was afraid nobody would be able to open the link. I am still having some problems with my computer. It was definately some very interesting information.

Take Care Everyone!
Gail

If this procedure is like the French article described, the valve they implant in the stent is smaller than the ones installed through conventional incisions. They just slide the stent and valve right into the defective valve. The stented valve literally holds the natural valve open, while the smaller valve in the stent functions in place of the defective one. The fact that the stent/valve is smaller is another reason why they only use the current experimental ones when nothing else can be done. I guess they are trying to save a life, even at a risk of some lingering reduction in physical ability. I guess I would opt for that.

Maybe over the next few years, though, they will develop a more full-sized version.

SteveE

Latest posts

Back