AVR Scheduled

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan CA

Well, after knowing this was coming for the last 38 years, I will finally be going in for an AVR and Ascending Aorta on June 2nd. I have gone a lonnnnng time with little to no symptoms, but with a recent on set of shortness of breath and extreme fatigue after moderate exertion, it is time.

I am excited and ready to get this behind me, in large part due to the information and enlightenment I have gained through this forum.

I will be going with a St. Jude ,most likely. Thanks everyone for sharing your stories and experience!

Ryan

Hi Ryan, good luck! It's funny how knowing it's coming for decades can still scare the pants off ya when it's time. I'm waiting on confirmation for surgery June 11.

My only symptom has been fatigue. My husband says it's just stress, but I was feeling quite tired for a month before I found out.

Wishing you the very best. Sounds like you have the right attitude - that's a huge help. And I agree, this forum is such a mine of support and information - when my time comes, I hope I can approach it with the same level-headedness as you

regards
Valda

Well, after knowing this was coming for the last 38 years, I will finally be going in for an AVR and Ascending Aorta on June 2nd. I have gone a lonnnnng time with little to no symptoms, but with a recent on set of shortness of breath and extreme fatigue after moderate exertion, it is time.

I am excited and ready to get this behind me, in large part due to the information and enlightenment I have gained through this forum.

I will be going with a St. Jude ,most likely. Thanks everyone for sharing your stories and experience!

Ryan

Hi, Ryan. Wow - 38 years in The Waiting Room! You sure got all you could out of the old valve. Now all you need to do is have a new one installed and take care if it as well and you should go a lot more.

You've come to the right place for all your pre-op information needs, as well as for help post-op. Don't be a stranger - you're always welcome here.

Hey Ryan,

Good luck and will be thinking of you - I haven't got my date yet ... should be around the end of May, been living with mine for by the, 52 years ! When did I get to that age ?? It was still a 'surprise' to hear the word surgery though.

You are definitely in the right place here with a wealth of information and experience at the click of a keypad.

Gerri

Thanks everyone! Yep, 38 years in the waiting room. When I was a few months old the doctor told my parents I would need surgery before I was 5, then when I was five, that I would definitely need it before I was 15. At 9 I started playing baseball and riding bikes and didn't look back for a long time. By 15 the doctors said I would need it some time but who knows when. It just never progressed beyond "mild to moderate bicuspid aortic stenosis".

I have been super lucky to be able to play multiple sports and mountain bike my self silly for many years. I always knew surgery was coming and I paid attention to how I felt but I can't say it had too much of an affect on me. The decision was made now due to an increase in regurgitation, a narrowing valve and an 5.0 ascending aorta.

Now that its time, as odd as it may seem, I'm really ready to move on and be better than ever.

Thanks again to all of you for the sharing of stories and support.

Good luck ! I had a surprise myself last October - WUT? I am an adult congenital heart patient?
Yikes but it all happened so slowly I though I was tired, bad diet, old, allergies .. . But my valve
Got bad in a right hurry then and I had surgery 12/13/13, bovine valve and an awesome ascending arch repair.
Your plan is much better :) dissection I have learned is not good, no, no.
There is another website for Adult congenital heart defects to look at ,ACHA.
Both are very informative. I chose a tissue valve. I am 53 and hope to go back to being as busy and healthy
As before. So no medicines except aspirin for me currently. And no other disease related issues.
Except fear, I do have that often at night. But I guess that is part of my wiring already. I m working on it!

Latest posts

Back