AVR Post surgery update - Slow rcovery / Issues with breathing and heart rate

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bratbuz

Howdy,

I am recovering well, but slowly after my AVR last month. This is monthly annivarsary. Hope everyone is also doing well.

I am having couple of things going and looking for for your inputs/ experiences.

Recovery: Recovery is going slow for me- I am still weak, as I am very afraid to walk more and do physical activities. I am worried about heart rate going up and having past ICD
shocking, even though my EP doc has assured about safety of it. Any advise on this will be helpful.

Heart rate will be about 100 even when I am resting. EP Doctors assured not to worry. This makes me to take walking slowly and I am not doing much physical activities. I am not into any counselling yet.

Vocal cord/ Coughing: Due to my previous surgeries and intubation, my vocal cord is kind of paralyzed and it won't open completely. I consulted ENT doctor before and after this surgery. For last couple of days, I am getting lots of coughing (not due to cold or related ), but may be from constricted air space. It is also very difficult to swallow so many tablets with this condition. I am having sore throat, drink enough liquids and talk less. I will need to consult ENT doc again.I am wondering if constricted air space is one of side effects after OHS surgery and please share if you have tried and followed any therapies. I have appointmnt with ENT doctor.

Any useful info and inputs is very much appreciated.

Thanks very much,

BratBuz

By the looks of your signature you have a lot of experience with surgeries. In the first 4 weeks of my recovery I was still weak and had very little confidence in anything I did. I overall didn't feel good, still getting short of breath, was dizzy upon standing, fatigue, irritable, nauseous, depressed the list can go on. I'm now 8 weeks and feel much better overall, I can only imagine how well I will feel in a year from now.

My heart rate was around 100bpm at rest for 3 weeks after surgery. Now it hovers at around 60 bpm at rest. It's still not perfect, I experience "double heart beats" a few times a day when taking in deep breaths along with other strange sensations that seem to come from my heart through out the day, I don't have to be doing anything I can be laying sitting or walking. It can take a year for the heart to "settle down" after a surgery like this so you and I still have a long ways to go in our recovery.

Immediately post op my heart rate was also hitting 100 bpm the minute that I would stand up and it was very scary.
After a few days of this I asked my surgeon to try me on a Beta Blocker to bring it down a bit and that worked out
very well. Many docs want the rate to lower on it's own, my case is not necessarily the same as yours.
Best wishes, keep looking forward :)

My resting heart rate did not dip back below 100 regularly untel well after 8 weeks. Cardio and suregon didnt seem too concerned about it. almost 10 months post op and my resting heart rate is well into the 60's.

Wait it out, it will settle down.

Hi All
I had an Aortic valve replacement on the 12 August 2011. I also had a very high pulse for many weeks after, but didn't realise that I was on a beta-blocker! I stopped last week, and my resting pulse is now in the low 60's.
I am very fortunate having a life as a long distance runner.
I must admit I have suffered since severly from depression; for living on ones own with no family makes things
difficult (age71)
It is now approx 6 weeks since op; and I can now walk for an hour or so_One day I was gasping for breath, the next -breathing easily!
Good luck bratbuz.
See Ya Brian

Hi All
An update to my last message - I will not be adding anymore to this forum. I had some urology tests done
yesterday, and got some results that was not too pleasing! I have never been a whinger, and this is not
the right place to start.
I wish you all good luck.
See Ya Brian

I could just copy Julians comment. It is the same for me almost 4 weeks after avr except I have went into a-flutter 3 times. I am on bata blockers and my heart rate stays at 60ish no matter what I do. Unless I really push it and then it goes way up for about 15 minutes even if I lay down. Kinda scary. . I think maybe I push myself too far. I really want my life back and it is so frustrating not to be able to do things. I just get so tired. I will say I have more energy every day. I think the walking really helps. on level surfaces. I go to the mall and walk. Good luck, Scott

Weakness, heart rate, fatigue, all par for the course. Each day will get better. Physical activity will strengthen you and your heart, do what you can, rest when you need to. I remember taking a lot of naps during the day and then sometimes I would be awake at night. I also remember sometimes being so cold, I wore layers and then lots of blankets at night. We don't get that cold here in Texas, even in November. :)

I don't know what to say as to your vocal cord, maybe the coughing is part of the healing process and it's trying to work again? For swallowing difficulties, have you tried placing your pills in apple sauce, pudding, or something that you can swallow easily? Are you still using your spirometer? Maybe the coughing is due to fluid...check with your cardiologist or surgeon as well as the ENT to be sure.

Back