AVR next week

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

richie rich

Hi everyone,

I am going in for my AVR on Dec. 26th with Dr. Stephen Colvin at NYU. He wil be doing the minimally invasive surgery on me and I have finally made a decision in regard to which valve I will be getting. My first chiocie is the Medtronic Mosaic pig valve with plan B being a St. Jude mechanical.

So far facing the prospect of surgery has been easy. The hard part has been the valve selection. When I started doing research 3 years ago ( when my AI was discovered) I was in favor of the Ross. When I joined the site in Novemeber I was still in favor of the Ross. Then I wanted a mechanical. Then I finally decided on a tissue. My decision wasn't easy and it still may not matter in the end if they cant implant the tissue.

I am fortunate to live near NYC so I have all kinds of options available without having to travel. In the end I decided against the Ross because I have reguritation in 3 of my four valves. The only valve that doesn't have regurg. is my pulomnary. I was able to meet with Dr. Paul Stelzer had Beth Israel. He has performed over 335 RP's and is probably the most experienced surgeon on the east coast when it comes to the RP. Two of the surgeons that I met ( who are highly regarded in NY , Dr. Damus & Dr. Colvin also perform the RP. Combined they have done 45 RP's. The RP should be done by the most expirienced surgeon possible. Dr. Stelzer is a wonderful man who took the time to sit down with myself and my wife and explain everything to us. He also has a great sense of humour. He took us down to the ICU and answered all of our questions. Unfortunately I choose not to do the RP because it was my gut feeling that eventually my new aotic valve would regurg. down the line and I would be more likely to need a operation again down the road. Stezler felt that it was possible that my new aortic valve could regurg. since my tissue is probably softer and thus more likely to shrink in the new position. My feelings were that if re-op was going to be an issue down the road then why play around with two valves ( aortic & pulmoniary ) when only one needs to be replaced. Anyone considering the RP should definitly go see Stelzer. Slyvia's husband used Stezler and I know they were extremely happy with him.

I went to see Dr. Colvin at NYU this week and we discussed the minimal invasive. This surgery requires entry thru the right breast area and they do not go in thru the sternum thus no breakage of my breastbone. Prior to meeting Colvin I really didn't give this much thought but after thinking about it I realized that this was very appealling to me. I am a big guy ( 5' 11" 260 lbs) who is very active. It will take my chest longer to heal then the average person. I know my body and myself. I plan on finishing all of the renovations on my house this spring and I wil be playing soccer. Even though the docs and my family will be telling me to take it easy, my mind and heart will be pushing my limits thus I will be pushing my body hard. I am not scaried of opening my chest. I just like the prospect of not doing it and recovering faster. Now since there are nerves in you chest muscle I am also assuming that the pain will still be there but it will be a different type of pain since it will be affecting my nerves and not my breastbone. The outcome of this pain remains to be felt. I also plan on going to Disney with my family on Feb. 1, 2003. 4 weeks post op. Is it feasbile? All depends on how I feel but we will not cancel until the last moment if necessary. I feel that this trip will give me hope during the first month when the pain of the surgery will be the worst. I know that heart surgey can led to some depression and I feel that the trip will keep me positive. My goal is to be on the Dumbo ride with my daughter and son. I will probably skip Space Mountain and some of the more extreme rides.

After discussing with my wife all of my opitions we feel that the tissue valve is the way to go. I am 32 years old. Very active with 2 young kids. At first I wanted no part of a re-op but you never know what can happen in your life. At 32 years old it is extremely likely that I will need a re-op one day no matter what valve I chose. The mechanicals are made for life put there is absolutely NO proof that they will last for my remaining life ( 70 years) because no valve has been around for longer than 40 years. My wife has a blood clotting disorder ( we didn't know about this until my son died this past July ) and she fears Coumdin. I personal don't think that it is a big deal and if I wind up with a mechanical then that will be great too because either way the replacement of my valve with any valve will prolong my life and that is all that real matters.

The Mosaic pig valve has a expected life span of 25 plus years. I'll be happy if it gets me to the 47-52 year range. At that time then I can re-evalute my life and base my decision on the current status of my life style, valve opitions and medical advances.

So wish me good luck next week. I chose Dec. 26th becuase I figured that I would have less time to worry about the surgery. X-mas will be fun and then the next day I wake up and go for surgery. I just hope my wife, mother and the rest of my family holds up. I have no fear right now and I hope to remain that way for the next week. My mother and wife are in bad shape. They fear the worst and I don't blame them. The last six months have been very bad. My wife's pregancy was very difficult and eventually ended with the death of our baby Matthew the day after my daughter's B-day. My wife almost died in the hospital and was in DIC and they could stop her bleeding . Then we found out she had a growth in her brain ( the general feeling is that it is not cancerous, she will get checked again In Feb. ) and then we find out that I need surgery. I guess the reason why I have no fear about my surgery is because I feel that I have to stay strong for my family and can't think negatively.

I am sorry that this post is sooooooooooo long. I justed started writing and I couldn't stop.

I promise that I will keep everyone update on my progress and I want to thank everyone who has helped me during the past month. I hope to be home for my birthday on the 30th if not then for New Years Eve. It would be nice to start the year on a fresh note. And if I can't be home before the New Year than thats' OK too I will just force my family to trek into the city and throw me a party in the hospital.

Take care everyone,
Rich

I'll be waiting and watching for any posts about you! Along with that, I'll be praying and thinking too.

4 weeks and Disney? I wouldn't rule it out, but I don't think you'll be ready by then. Time will tell. As for pushing yourself, don't do that. You don't want to backslide and have problems. Your body will tell you what you can and can't do. Listen to it!

Not trying to shoot your ideas in the butt, just concerned about your overall welfare. :)

Can someone post on your behalf while your in the hospital?

Ready for action!

Ready for action!

Hi Rich,

like many others, I've read your posts here and followed your decision-making process. Congratulations, you really sound like you're happy with your choice and ready for the op.

I will say a prayer for you over Christmas and look forward to hearing from you again as you recover.

Best regards, Simon

Hey Rich

Hey Rich

I would like to tell you to take it easy. Do what your doc's tell you and don't be afraid to take as much time as you need to recover. I understand your wanting to be as upbeat as possible and positive. But take as much time as needed to heal.
I my self did to much I think. But I had my chest opened up. I went back to work at 8 weeks mainly because I had to. Unemployment just wasn't paying the bills. We just about lost everything we had. I don't know if I told you already but I am in heavy industrial construction. Lifting over 30 lbs., climbing 100 ft. towers, up and down numerous flights of stairs with my hands full all day plus working 13 hours a day. I think would classify me as active and I think it prolonged my recovery. But after I look back on it I didn't have a choice, but I think rushed it. After a year my chest still hurts. I could have used at least a couple more weeks.

All I am saying is being upbeat and positive is a great thing you will need it. But err on the side of caution when it comes to recovery. Do what the doc's tell you and try not to over do it and your recovery time will pass quickly. I will agree with Ross I don't mean to put a damper on your plans but you will know what you can do and can't do. Your body will tell you.

Good luck on surgery and keep us posted. We will say a little paryer for you. ;)

BOOMER

Rich, I make it a policy never to push my choice of a bio valve, but since you have decided, I think you will be pleased. I had a homograft at the Cleveland Clinic with Petersen in '00. I have no regrets. As for Disney in 4 weeks...it is quite possible. I went to Daytona Bike Week with my husband at 5 weeks...we drove the truck down and hauled the bikes. I rode with him not on my own...don't think my sternum would have taken that and the upper body muscle strength just wasn't there yet either. I took naps in the afternoon and didn't too much late night prowling. Just take it easy and enjoy what you can. The walking will be great for you. Good luck and we will all send prayers your family's way.

Hi Rich,

You have done the right thing by thoroughly researching your options and making a decision that you feel is best for you and your family. Every case is different and in the end you are the best judge for your particular situation.

If your valve holds out for 25 years, then chances are that there will be a whole range of new medical developments and options to consider at that point.

I would agree with Ross and say that doing Disney 4-weeks post-op would be pushing it. I was back at work 1/2 days in 4 weeks, but had to come home to take a nap in the afternoon. Of course I had the full deal with the sternum, so maybe your minimal invasive procedure won't be as traumatic. Would suggest that you discuss it with your doctor.

I wish the best for you and your family. Good luck and let us know how it goes,

Mark

Hey Rich,

Given your situation, I think you made the right decision not having the Ross Procedure. I had the Ross Procedure performed on Dec. 27, 2000 by the same surgeon that perform Arnold Schwartzenegger's surgery. He has done the most of the west coast. Unfortunately, my new aortic valve (formerly my pulmonary valve) started leaking about 4 months after the surgery. I still have no symptoms and run about 3.5 miles a day, 6 days a week. However, I will probably have a "redo" sometime next year. I did a lot of research prior to my surgery and still believe the Ross is a good choice for the right people. My surgeon felt I was a good candidate for the Ross and said that mechanical valves sometimes have to be replaced too. Given my active lifestyle, he recommended the Ross or a homograft.
As far as going to Disney World, you probably won't know until 2 - 3 weeks after your surgery. My recovery went really well and I was back at work part-time 2 weeks after the surgery. However, the first week I tired really easily. The second week I made dramatic improvement. I went to Six Flags Magic Mountain for my daughter's birthday 5 weeks after my surgery and felt pretty good. However, I did not get on any rides and tried to sit down a lot. Just don't try to overdue it.

Good Luck and God Bless.

getting near

getting near

You may find it more difficult now simply thinking of other things. A simple form of meditation can help a great deal. If your open enough to try it. set an object in front of you. A simple one sylable object. Like Pen or ball. No long ones. Stare at the ball repeat in your mind ball ball ball ball until you have a thought other then ball come into your mind. stop that thought and return to ball not punishing your self for loosing the focus.

Or close your eyes again in a quiet room and sit comfortably. Breath in slowly in and out, counting breaths as in one out two. when you reach ten stop and return to ten. Again with out a thought. If you experience a thought simply return to one.

It should last about 20min. at first and longer as you get use to trying to sit still and quiet. No radios or Tvs on!!

With time you will be able to shut off all the noize inside your head. Further more it lowers BP slightly. It also keeps the lungs clear.

I have been practicing a more advanced form since 88. These two have nothing to do with Buddhism per say. Mine does.

Medtronic of Borg

P.S. If you should find your self getting hot...that is normal and means you are doing it right. Just continue.

Last edited:
thanks for all of the advice. i will listen to what the docs tell me and more importantly what my body tells me.

my wife may be able to post for me while i am in the hospital. she will be staying at her mother's who lives 20 minutes from NYU. we live about 1 hour 15 minutes away so if she goes home for anything i'll ask her to post.
i will try the mediatation. thanks

rich:)

Good luck tomorrow Rich...

Good luck tomorrow Rich...

..I will pray for you tonight and in the morning.

Everything is going to be all right Rich, our Lord, God, King of kings JUST TOLD ME SO!

God Bless you and God Bless all!

Latest posts

Back