AVR and anxiety/panic - An open discussion

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As the mother of a young AVR patient I appreciate this thread very much.

Hannah is the strongest person I know and you would never know that anything about her condition bothers her (with the exception of her scar - she's 13), but I have to assume she keeps some worrying to herself. No matter how positive I am about her condition she does worry that she be told at any time that she needs to have surgery. I personally started having panic attacks at age 17 when I witnessed the death of a very close friend. These attacks subsided until the day I was told Hannah had to have her second surgery, her AVR. They have been present ever since. I can empathize with you to a certain extent as I know how horrible these attacks can be. Luckily it does appear that Hannah has personally experienced one.

Depending on the trigger I have learned to use different methods for dealing with these attacks. I have found I am not very comfortable being on meds, they make me more anxious. When I am worried and anxious regarding Hannah and her heart specifically I honestly come to this site. I read the anniversary posts, I read Dick's profile, anything positive. It reminds me that she will be ok and it works for me. Just have to take it one day at a time.

Deep Breaths my friend, deep breaths.

Best wishes to you!

Kelly

VR and heart surgeries seem to attract anxiety. When I was discharged from the hospital they had cautioned me about possible depression, but nobody brought up the possibility of
severe anxiety that can cripple a recovery. While sitting at my kitchen table I could see my legs shaking from the assault on my nervous system. It was awful....but does get better.

I'm considering reaching out to a mental health professional as I get closer to surgery. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night, sitting straight up with tears running down my face. Or laying in bed right before I fall asleep and my nose just fills up and I can't breathe. I've never experienced a full blown panic attack, or anything other than nervous anxiety, and I don't want to. I'd like to establish a relationship with a counselor before surgery, so if I do need someone after surgery, it won't be a chore, just an easy phone call. The best thing I have done for myself so far is join this forum, to read real stories from real people.

I'm considering reaching out to a mental health professional........ I'd like to establish a relationship with a counselor before surgery, so if I do need someone after surgery, it won't be a chore, just an easy phone call. The best thing I have done for myself so far is join this forum, to read real stories from real people.

I think that is a very good idea. My biggest hurdles came AFTER the surgery. The surgery was a piece of cake compared with the psychological concerns that lingered long after OHS, when I kept asking myself.....what in the hell had I done?, and what now? Now I can look back and see that my early fears where unfounded......but they where very real at the time. I think most insurers will cover post surgery therapy to get you over the hump.....and sites like this are very good aftercare forums......I can't believe how much I have gotten from this group over the last 6 years.

Back