Availability of CoaguChek XS strips on eBay

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kolyur

Is anyone aware of new listing restrictions on eBay that would prevent XS test strips from being sold? I purchased my last box of 24 a few months ago and noticed that there were not many with a suitable expiration date... luckily I was able to snag one so I'm good through the end of the year. But when I searched today for "coaguchek xs strips" hardly anything comes up other than used machines and parts. I also got an email from my most recent seller stating that their products would be harder to find now due to "new listing restrictions from this platform."

I sure hope that eBay isn't banning the sale of these strips. I have self managed my INR with a CoaguChek and eBay strips since 2016 and it works great. I really don't want to go through the rigamarole of using a testing service just to get the supplies. Are there other sources for these strips in the USA besides eBay?

I bought stripes 6 weeks ago on ebay with no problem. I just looked and I agree with you that today there are surprisingly few strips for sale on ebay. I did a quick search and I see some other internet vendors who have stripes for sale. I have no knowledge of those vendors. I did notice that some of them are selling stripes with expiration dates that are only a few months away...

In Greece and as far as I know in Europe, those who sell materials (not drugs) such as pressure gauges and accessories, etc. need ISO 9001 certification and some other certification.
So companies that do not have the certification will have a legal issue if they sell, even companies with certification cannot sell at lower prices than the official price list.
Obviously, we all understand that it will be a little difficult to buy some products. I'll give an example from dentistry, a doctor buys materials from someone who doesn't have certification and the patient gets an allergy and dies or ends up in the hospital, if the patient sues the clinic will blame the seller who didn't have the ISO and the compensation will be huge.
https://www.iso.org/standard/62085.html

In Greece and as far as I know in Europe, those who sell materials (not drugs) such as pressure gauges and accessories, etc. need ISO 9001 certification and some other certification.
So companies that do not have the certification will have a legal issue if they sell, even companies with certification cannot sell at lower prices than the official price list.
Obviously, we all understand that it will be a little difficult to buy some products. I'll give an example from dentistry, a doctor buys materials from someone who doesn't have certification and the patient gets an allergy and dies or ends up in the hospital, if the patient sues the clinic will blame the seller who didn't have the ISO and the compensation will be huge.
https://www.iso.org/standard/62085.html
I never saw that applied to blood glucose meters, perhaps I missed it

Εverything will be fine until the first court hearing is held for illegal sale or compensation from an insurance company.
You know, I can't read that document without payment, but what I'm unsure of is why to sell a Blood Glucose meter you have to have ISO 9001 certification. Did that document explain that?

The stores must have certification of the correct use of parapharmaceutical products, every year they check us if we observe the storage conditions for the materials such as refrigerator temperatures - room temperatures and humidity - on each receipt we must write down the batch of the material from the store we bought it to and to whom we sold the assembled batch, the reason is that if there is a recall of any material, we should notify them so that they do not use it.
Ιt has happened a few times to notify customers about unsuitable products, if we remember earlier they also withdrew INR strip, I think in 2018.
The procedure is simple, the company eg roche notifies the pharmaceutical organization, the organization sends emails to pharmacies and warehouses and since they follow the protocol, they know each can to which patient it was sold.
https://bqc.gr/en/certification-of-ministerial-decision-1348

On the other hand, medical device companies that sell their products in the United States must comply with the FDA's 21 CFR Part 820, a legal mandate for medical device quality systems. If your medical device company is in the United States, an FDA inspection that results in observed violations or a warning letter could lead to civil prosecution for failure to comply with the appropriate regulations.
The biggest difference is that FDA inspectors are badge-carrying members of a law enforcement agency. Their job is to ensure that the law is upheld and medical device companies are compliant. They can take enforcement action that could lead to jail time, fines and other legal ramifications.
https://www.greenlight.guru/blog/fda-inspections-and-iso-audits-what-is-the-difference

eBay has a long standing policy of prohibiting sale & purchase of medical items that require a prescription unless the seller is an authorized supplier and the buyer has a prescription. That said, eBay often turns a blind eye to those items which are seemingly harmless. Occasionally they crackdown and take listings down.

I'm not aware of the strips being 'by prescription only.' Warfarin is, but I don't know if consumables are.

If there's a problem with eBay being the source of the strips, I'm in a position where I can get a prescription for a meter and strips (I think it requires a meter), and have Medicare give me a meter that I don't really want ANOTHER of (I was holding out for one of the newer ones), and a regular supply of strips. But, again, I've been hanging on until Medicare supplies the new meter as a matter of course. (Maybe my doctor will SPECIFY a particular meter - and maybe Medicare will approve it).

Just last week I made my first eBay purchase of test strips, after reading of other’s experiences, and being disappointed in Biotel/Cardionet’s billing practice. I received my eBay order within 4 days, but received an email on Saturday that they would no longer be able to sell on eBay, but could still sell from their website.

Attachments

• IMG_1527.jpeg
    IMG_1527.jpeg
    548.1 KB · Views: 0
Wow. This is bad news. If eBay stops allowing these then the other sellers are going to have high demand and not enough supply. Higher prices and a potential to run out before finding a new box is potentially our future. I guess I need to figure out how to get these through the proper channels here in the USA.

Ugh.

Is anyone aware of new listing restrictions on eBay that would prevent XS test strips from being sold? I purchased my last box of 24 a few months ago and noticed that there were not many with a suitable expiration date... luckily I was able to snag one so I'm good through the end of the year. But when I searched today for "coaguchek xs strips" hardly anything comes up other than used machines and parts. I also got an email from my most recent seller stating that their products would be harder to find now due to "new listing restrictions from this platform."

I sure hope that eBay isn't banning the sale of these strips. I have self managed my INR with a CoaguChek and eBay strips since 2016 and it works great. I really don't want to go through the rigamarole of using a testing service just to get the supplies. Are there other sources for these strips in the USA besides eBay?
I just received a box via eBay from a company called Self Care.

i just received

I just receive strips through eBay. There was an email that they may no longer be able to sell via EBay, BUT they would sell direct from their website which is selfcaredepot.com.

They have been reliable.

i recently bought strips on ebay which is usually where i always buy them, i did get an email from the seller i thought it was for a review but he informed that there is something going on with ebays new listing restrcition and let me know where i can find them (gave me a website) to continue to buy products from them.

i recently bought strips on ebay which is usually where i always buy them, i did get an email from the seller i thought it was for a review but he informed that there is something going on with ebays new listing restrcition and let me know where i can find them (gave me a website) to continue to buy products from them.
Unfortunately, it will be very difficult to buy medical technology products online, the companies want to have all the profit.
The fines for those who do not comply with the legislation will be huge.
Can you imagine someone filing a lawsuit that his films showed a wrong result and that this was the reason he suffered a stroke?
The services will check the seller if he had a license and if he followed the rules of storage and transport.

Ugh. I started my own home testing in about June of last year. Had a supply of strips lasting me until March. Thought I would be going the ebay route as you folks mentioned up here and pay out of my own pocket but sounds like that won't work now.

I am going to have to find out how I can get the strips myself but sounds like will be difficult and getting more expensive. I will try to find out through my insurance if there is a way for me to do this using them so I can even afford it. Sounds like I will need to get a Dr involved to write me a scrip for the strips???

Back