Attn: AVR Veterans--Poll

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attn: AVR Veterans--Poll

• Up to 5.4 cm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5.5 to 5.7 cm

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • 5.8 to 6.0 cm

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • 6.1 to 6.3 cm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6.4 to 6.6 cm

• 6.7 to 7.0 cm

• 7.1 to 7.5 cm

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

francie12

Hi, everyone, from Jane and son, Matt! This poll is prompted by the widely differing opinions amoung cardiologists and surgeons about when to go to surgery for a regurgitating (or stenotic) aortic valve--as indicated by left ventricle dimensions. I've heard everything from 7.5 cm (our cardio.) down to 5.4 (prospective surgeon's nurse!). Hope this poll can give some input--the more responses the better! Thanks, everyone for all help--past, present and future!

Sorry, Was feeling so lousy for the whole time, did not ask before surgery.

I also was never told what my numbers were.
My surgeon at that time said there was no emergency, but that I would know when it was time.
In less than two months I went from feeling quite well to being on the verge of dropping dead.
I couldn't believe what was happening, I could not walk the 100 feet to our mailbox without resting once or twice each way.
That's when we scheduled the surgery, so I guess the surgeon was right.
The good news is I felt fantastic shortly afterwards, and still do after almost nine years.
People had told me I always looked a little pale for years, now they can't believe all the rosy color.
So when your time come I hope all goes well for you, hopefully it will be a new beginning.

My last echo report before my surgery states 6.6cm, which was reported as upper limits of normal.

Hi Jane and Matt,
My boyfriend Jim's LV diameter was approx 7cm when his condition was diagnosed in March 03. I think it was around 7.7cm by the time of his operation 9 months later. However, I wouldn't suggest this as a recommendation of when to leave the surgery until - Jim was very lucky that his LV reduced to normal size following the surgery - something the surgeon didn't believe would happen as he felt his heart had enlarged too much.
Jim had very few symptoms (hence his delay in going to the doctor) - the main one being chest pains at night and, after his diagnosis, occasional shortness of breath when climbing hills/stairs. I guess had he had more symptoms, he would have visited his doctor when his LV was smaller and possibly had the surgery sooner. I believe many people have much worse symptoms when their LV is relatively small in comparison to Jim's so perhaps LV dimensions alone aren't really enough to decide on when to do surgery. The "trick" is knowing when the best time is based on symptoms and also avoiding lasting damage to the heart. General consensus seems to be that surgeons are generally better at deciding this than cardiologists.
Gemma.

Just went back and reviewed my angiogram just prior to surgery....actually says that the left ventrical was normal...no problems there.... but the aortic valve was "severely stenotic" at 0.8, along with mitral regurgitation . They apparently thought that fixing the aortic valve would help the mitral valve, but this has not proven to be the case.

Will be interesting to see other answers! Good idea for the poll.

Latest posts

Back