ATENOLOL 25mg

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themalteser

Hi everyone,

Sorry, me again... After my last echo results, today I went to see my cardiologist, he basically said that I probably won't need an operation for at least 5 to 20 years! But would like to routinely see me every 6months.

He took my bp reading and it was 147/93 he thought it's bit high, and asked me to start taking atenolol 25mg daily to avoid and BP spikes and therefore reduce the rate of dilation if there has to be any further increase.

I took my first one round 3hours ago, and feel absolutely fine, bit lethargic and very relaxed :) but, was reading on the Internet and it says that this pill increases the risks of diabetes, MI and strokes. Now I'm sure that the cardiologist knows exactly what he is doing, and unless there is strong evidence about these risks, then I would not be prescribed with these pills and be given others.

Have any of you been on atenolol? And if yes, what are your thoughts about this?

Hope to hearing from you soon.

I took Atenolol 50mg/daily for about 10 years. Just recently was switched to Metoprolol. Other than being a little tired, I had no problems with it at all.

I'm taking it, and as far as I'm aware all beta blockers have those same risks. 25 mg a day is a low dose. Other than making me dizzy (I already have low bp, taking it for heart rate) I don't have any problems with it. It is a pretty safe beta blocker as far as beta blockers go. Just make sure you don't over do the sweets.

25mg was a mild dose, as I remember it. I moved up to 100mg before I switched to another beta blocker called bystolic. Atenolol is one of the more cardioselective beta blockers available, which means it will (in theory) effect your lungs less. At lower doses it is more cardioselective than higher doses, as with ALL beta blockers. At 100mg I really started to notice weight gain and more frequent asthma flare ups. Beta blockers are proven to save lives, even if they sometimes suck as far as side effects go. I'm confident that I would've expired by now if not for the beta blockers.

The reason I changed from atenolol to bystolic is that atenolol seemed to "wear off" too quickly. If I took a 100mg tablet before bed, I would end up feeling my heart pound by 4 or 5pm, and I'd be kind of jittery until I took my next dose. I found the early rebound effect to be not real fun, so I switched to something with a longer half life that seemed less likely to have a big trough in its effectiveness.

It's crucial to be very careful about discontinuing the BB's now that you're on them. You really should have a damn good reason to stop taking them.

I was on Atenolol for awhile and did not like it. I think it made me tired and light-headed. I got the ok from the cardio to go off of them, finally, post-surgery, but as Duff Man says, you MUST wean yourself slowly as they are serious meds. I was (and am still) taking Diovan. I remember my cardio putting me on these because I am overweight and she seemed to convey to me that they help with type II diabetes issues somehow. I don't have diabetes, nor am I that close, but for some reason (menopausal, also) it was one she liked to use for "my type". The other thing she has always said to me was that there are a zillion kinds of blood pressure meds out there and we could switch and keep switching until I found one I liked. So do some homework on the beta blockers. Call your cardio and ask specifically why it was chosen. Your individual needs will require a certain kind of med. You should know why he chose those for you...... and if you don't really like them, ask him for the next best thing in his mind.

Don't worry, though. These meds are good for us. They really are. But be educated.

Marguerite

Thankyou all for your replies, you're all so kind! Another question I woke up rumbling with it inside my head is.....I like to have a few beers or wine at the weekend after a long week at work, can I still do this? I don't get drunk or anything, but just like watching a movie and having a few beers. ....

I started on Atenolol when my aneurysm first showed up on a routine chest X-ray around 1990. It made me feel depressed as well as tired. I found another beta blocker that suited me (called Zebeta then, not sure it is still made). Beta blockers kept me in the "waiting room" for almost 20 years and seemed to stabilize my aneurysm. However, my bicuspid aortic valve slowly got worse and that was the reason I had my OHS in 2008. Bottom line: Beta blockers can keep you out of the ER and surgery for a long time and are worth taking.

Thankyou all for your replies, you're all so kind! Another question I woke up rumbling with it inside my head is.....I like to have a few beers or wine at the weekend after a long week at work, can I still do this? I don't get drunk or anything, but just like watching a movie and having a few beers. ....

I did not change any habits while on beta blockers. (nor have I since surgery). I do think you should keep in mind that alcohol raises blood pressure (this, from my cardio, was something I did not know until recently) so when you drink your occasional beers and whatnot you are temporarily, possibly counter-acting the good effect of the atenolol. So in other words, don't go getting into an arm wrestling contest after 5 beers!! :wink2:

Marguerite

Back