asthma and surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deano89

something i totally negelected to ask my surgeon was about my asthma! i take 3 inhalers daily flixotide,oxis turbo and salbutamol,
how does asthma affect surgery and how do i and they manage it before during and after surgery any fellow asthmatics share there knowledge is it going to be a problemas when i met the surgeon he said the risks were minimal and gave me a 1% risk factor thanks

I have Asthma, take Beclomethasone twice daily plus Salbutamol as and when. They seemed unconcerned, though I did take my inhalers before getting wheeled down to surgery. I guess they add Salbutamol to your air feed during the op if needed. I still had 1% risk factor, or as my surgeon said to me, "If I operate on you 100 times I'll screw it up once."

I don't have asthma, but I do know that anaesthetists are used to dealing with it, and it is him/her that you should talk with about this. Maybe call your surgeon's office and ask for an appointment to be set up with the anaesthetist so you can go and chat with him/her beforehand?

thanks for the replies i like the "If I operate on you 100 times I'll screw it up once." . i have a letter from papworth last week to shedule my surgery so will take your advice and ask the questions to the right people, thanks

Latest posts

Back