Aspirin - How bad is it (single dose)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icarus

Hi,
Does anyone know what the effect of taking 2 Excedrins for an occasional, bad headache is? I'm talking about taking 2 pills once every 4 to 5 weeks for that beaut of a headache. I've had them before MVR, taken the Excedrin and in 1/2 hr. all was well.
I know it's going to rise my INR (It's always 2.7. - I'm starting to worry about my Pro-Time) but how fast, how high, how long? Tylenol and coffee are similar, with the exception of that evil asprin, but they're no Excedrin. I came to work this morning and had everyone cowering in the corner till I had 3 cups of coffee. That's really great for my PVCs
Regards to All,
Icarus

Hi,

Excedrin has uncoated aspirin in it, and could be harmful to you if your stomach lining is susceptible to stomach bleeding, especially if you are on Coumadin.

There are some of us on here, me included, that are on a Coumadin and Aspirin routine, taking both as part of our daily dose. My heart surgeon and cardiologist agree that I should take both. However, the Aspirin is a coated 325 mg aspirin. I have not had a problem with it.

I used to take Excedrin for all my headaches prior to my surgery. It seemed it was the only over-the-counter med to get rid of my headaches. I haven't had any since my surgery.

My cardiologist said that the Excedrin is mostly the same ingredients as a Tylenol with caffine. I've been taking Tylenol and having some caffine, (a caffine pill - not drinking 4 cups of coffee lol), on those occations that I do get a headache, and it seems to work. You may want to try it.

Ya know, it seems I have had far fewer headaches since my surgery. (Just a side note).

Rob

Last edited:
Hey, Icarus - long time no see. So good to hear from you. Sorry about the headaches. Hope your dr fixes you up. Take care and let us hear from you. God bless

The less you take, the less likely it is that you will get a GI bleed.

However, 2 pills now and then are unlikely to do harm.

Look how many people have been cautioned against drinking when taking warfarin but do so anyhow.

Latest posts

Back