Asparagus and Artichokes..Vit K !!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Z

Zipper

Hi all,

I home test every Sunday and usually stay in range. This past week I ate out twice...had a Caesar salad and Asparagus.....then ...since my Artichoke plant is producing I also had one!

Well...Today I was down to 1.9. Of course I have 'upped' my dosage and will test on Wednesday. I should have done so while I was indulging in these extra Vit K foods!! Proves how our diet....when inconsistant...makes a huge difference!!! What was I thinking ????!! I'm sure the answer is....'You weren't'!

As different seasons bring changes in our diets, I certainly am glad I home test and will be 'thinking' ahead as I enjoy the 'crops'.

Geez..do ya think some 'Vino' would help in the meantime...LOL!!!

Princess ZipLip...unzipped..heehee

Question

Question

Zip's post made me ask something about coumadin that I've wondered about for a while. Would like to know BEFORE my surgery so I don't do something wrong.

How much self-regulating should one do? For example, in Zip's post if she knew she was having a bunch of asparagus or broccoli, should you try to take something that can counteract it at the same time, like a glass of wine (assuming you don't consistently drink it every day)? Is it OK to up your coumadin by yourself if you know you've "splurged" on Vitamin K foods? Or do all of you call your docs first? Would like to home test so it seems like some sort of self-regulation would be great but I don't want to wind up in ER with some doc saying, "Leave that to us".

Thoughts? Thanks.

Paul

Greggo has some interesting facts about asaragus.....

Greggo has some interesting facts about asaragus.....

I self regulate my coumadin, Paul. But I don?t change the dosage daily because of what I?m eating. (It?s all about 'consistency') I eat veggies every day, so I think that?s why it all balances out.

I know there are some cardios who let you self dose and others who don?t. I think my cardio kinda makes a decision based on the patient.......... He thinks I?m ?competent?. :p

Hi Paul

Tyce monitors and tests every week. We don't change our home dose unless we fax our test to our cardio prior. They're wonderful and call us within a day to let us know our new dosage. We and they usually follow the 10% method.....it seems to work for us. I will tell you this, though. If Tyce has asparagus, spinach, cabbage, etc, he usually will have a glass of wine either that day or the next. I think he just likes the wine, actually, but it usually works. Conversely, if his INR is high, a glass of v8 usually brings it right down.

Ev

He thinks I?m ?competent?.
Just admit it Rain, you know full well that if he didn't see it your way, you were going to hurt him! :D

Paul, If you know you've been a bad guy and ate too many Vit K veggies, you might want to get tested at the end of the week that you were bad, just to be on the safe side. Usually, things will settle back to normal somewhat quickly.

Sumbummy say 'vino'

Sumbummy say 'vino'

Paul -- I drink wine every day on the orders of my Cardiologist. And I eat green salads most every day or at least lots of veggies...sooooo, it all smooths out.;)

And Zipgirlfriend, get that INR up there. BTW, what's an artichoke plant look like? Probably my first Ex-husband...:D

'da Vino

'da Vino

Janie girliefriend.I did take an extra 10% for the week and will test once the 3 days has passed. I also had some wine..my Doc OK's my method, too..heehee.

In answer to Paul's quiry...I have been on coumadin for 4 years and self testing for over 1 year. After keeping records for my Doc and consulting him about each change, he decided I, like Rain, am competent :)

I will alter my dosage if I dip low like I did last week. I use the 10% rule as Al, Marty and others have taught us. I generally do not have to do this unless I veer off the 'consistancy' rule or have taken antibiotics for dental work. I bring my records to my Doc each visit and he is quite pleased with me *~*

Janie..all X'es look like artichoke plants...LOLFOF. They look like the wide leaves of a big prickly weed plant that grows odd looking 'friends' that keep getting bigger and even flower unless you cut them off. Sorry..hahaha that's the best I could do! Don't ya got any in Texas????:confused:

Salud,

Zip/Jo

I had a patient once who said that she didn't have enough money to get her Coumadin refilled, so she bought a six-pack hoping that would get the INR up!!!

And people ask me if I ever get bored!!

I had a patient once who said that she didn't have enough money to get her Coumadin refilled, so she bought a six-pack hoping that would get the INR up!!!

And people ask me if I ever get bored!!

Convinced

Convinced

OK, you've all convinced me. I just need to become an alcoholic who shoves asparagus tips up his nose!:D :D Thanks.

Paul

Pillarpaul

You have been snowbound too long!

My son lives near you. After last week's blizzard he was looking for his wife's car in the parking lot of the condos where they live. He found it when he stepped on the windshield and fell on the roof. He is 6'4" and a professional athlete.

Paul,
You win!!
You made me laugh with that last post!
I have found that brocolli,while more difficult to shove up a nose, has a higher vitK count.
I love greens, eat salad everyday...(whoa..had an attack of pumphead there.... everyday starts with the letter "e"), Broc and avacados are favorites. Be consistant and no problem.
BTW wheat beer goes great with avacados.
carbo

I know, I know!!

I know, I know!!

Carbomedic,

The answer is Corona!! I lived on Coronas, avacados, tomatoes and tortillas for two weeks... I tested twice during that time and my INR was a perfect 3.0 both times! :p Maybe we should all become snow birds and winter in Mazatlan. We'll put Paul in charge of the asparagus patch. :p I'll keep an eye on the bartender. :eek: Al gets the recliner under the tree.... afterall.. he has the hardest job. Ross, YOU are in charge of entertainment. :p

And ummm..... Rossman... I?ve NEVER had to threaten my cardio. :eek: .... I'm bigger than he is... and he knows it. :p He's a little Italian guy.

See
Rain proves consistancy is the key. Corona has never been my favorite, but the rest.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Remember, no salt!
Paul, can you handle the tomatoes too! Ross, lets get the NCAA tournament on the tube by the bar!
Go Badgers, go Golden Eagles.
carbo

The mind is a very powerful thing.....

The mind is a very powerful thing.....

Ross, you get rid of that avatar right now!! :mad: If you say things like that to yourself you will eventually believe it!! Now get a different av!! I'm serious, Ross.

Latest posts

Back