Article on Valve Replacement via Cath.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what it is worth my surgeon did one of these on Monday before we met for a consultation. He was beaming about it then looked at me seriously and said "you are not a candidate for this." Looks promising but, it is not for all.

James,

What you said is currently true. My cardio, however, keeps telling me to stay current in my reading about these valves, because he feels that in the next few years we may see them become viable for all patients. That way, if I can wait long enough, I may be able to go that route instead of the conventional surgical procedure. Worth watching, but let's not get our hopes up too high.

My cardiologist is also patient of mine. He was in last week, and was making a follow up appointment for late december. I joked that I usually reserve that time of year for my valve replacement surgeries (had mine in dec. of 07). He replied that was fast as things were progressing he was certain that by the time I was ready for a redue, cath replacements would be the way it was going to be done.

Hopefully, that will be the method of choice in the near future.

Interesting article, thanks for posting.

Just a side point: The Times reporter said most valve replacement patients are of Medicare age. I wonder if that is literally true. I was pre-Medicare age when I had my first (and for now, only) VR, and I am under the impression that many of the folks here are younger than I am. Wonder if the reporter did any research on that or just made an assumption.

Bob, from what I've been able to watch on here, would say it must about half and half for Medicare. There are probably many people post Medicare who do not use computers or only use them for e-mail so that may skew the count. Just a guess on my part.

Midge

Back